Latest World Cup News

sky star 2

Super VIP
WORTHINGTON WAITS ON NEW DEAL

Nigel Worthington is not interested in discussing a new contract as Northern Ireland boss until his country's World Cup fate is settled.

IFA president Raymond Kennedy is keen to offer Worthington a two-year extension to the deal that expires in December.

Worthington has revived Northern Ireland's fortunes - and as they head into the new season, they still hold realistic hopes of reaching South Africa 2010.

It is the vital September double-header against Poland and Slovakia that remains uppermost in Worthington's thoughts, rather than discussing new terms.

"It is not an important issue at the moment," Worthington told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I just want to concentrate on the games.

"Signing a new deal is not at the forefront of my mind."

Worthington has guided Northern Ireland to 27th in the FIFA rankings since replacing Lawrie Sanchez in June 2007.

Two wins in the autumn could be enough to guide the Irishmen to their first major finals since reaching the 1986 World Cup under Billy Bingham.

"We want to send out a message that Nigel is our man and we do not want to let him go," said Kennedy.

sky star 2

Super VIP
NORTH KOREA BOOK FINAL SPOT

North Korea have qualified for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa following a goalless draw in Saudi Arabia.

It is the first time the country have made it through to the finals since the 1966 event in England - when they famously defeated Italy at Middlesbrough's Ayresome Park.

The result in Riyadh was enough for the North Koreans to progress from the Asian qualifying section after rivals Iran were only able to draw 1-1 in South Korea.

Yong-Jun Kim was sent off in the closing stages of the game, watched by 66,000, but North Korea were celebrating soon after.

The draw means they could theoretically face neighbours South Korea in next summer's finals. Australia and Japan also qualify from the section.

sky star 2

Super VIP
BLATTER DEFENDS SOUTH AFRICA

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has lashed out at the sceptics who still question South Africa's ability to stage the World Cup next year.

The country is set to be the first on the African continent to host the global showpiece, and is currently preparing for the FIFA Confederations Cup which begins on Sunday.

Speaking at the pre-tournament press conference in Johannesburg, Blatter seemed agitated that questions were still being raised over issues of security, among other things, almost exactly a year to the scheduled date of kick-off in 2010.

"I don't know why exactly there is this reluctance to go to Africa," he said.

"And now we are saying that we are here, not only to honour Africa but to give justice to Africa and to African football for all they have done for football.

"Why are there always question marks behind the football? Ever since the envelope with the name 'South Africa' was opened, they said it would not work - why, I ask?

"Now you are here and every year 10 or 11 million tourists are coming to South Africa. They have organised competitions and international conferences.

"Is there not a little bit of envy? Maybe, but now this big event is now in Africa and let's give them our full trust. We are here now and let us live up these emotions of football with the people of South Africa."

Blatter also brushed aside fears of security, an issue which has been raised ever since 2004 when South Africa was awarded the right to host the tournament.

He continued: "I see there have been many questions about security, but give me the name of one country in the world where you have perfect security.

"It does not exist because as long as there are human beings somewhere, there are always struggles.

"But we have to show trust here, we have to trust football."

The chairman of the Local Organising Committee, Irvin Khoza, echoed Blatter's views, adding: "I think it's important to note that this question was not asked when the British and Irish Lions arrived here.

"These questions never arose when the IPL (Indian Premier League) was played here and all of them came and left this country as good ambassadors for South Africa.

"We have a history of many, many major events in his country. All of them were successful and were very secure. So record is there, capacity is there and experience is there.

"So we are sure that the Confederations Cup and World Cup will be events that have very good security."

The 'Festival of Champions', as the Confederations Cup is known, features hosts South Africa, Iraq, New Zealand and Spain in Group A, while Group B is made up of Brazil, Italy, Egypt and the United States.

The two-week tournament begins on Sunday when South Africa face Asian champions Iraq in the opening game at Ellis Park.

sky star 2

Super VIP
KAKA WARY OF ENGLAND

Brazil star Kaka believes England are shaping up to be one of his country's main rivals at next summer's World Cup finals.

The South Americans have shown ominous form in progressing to the final of the Confederations Cup, where they will face the USA in Johannesburg.

Along with European champions Spain, Brazil look sure to go into next year's tournament as favourites, but the Real Madrid playmaker believes they are not the only ones capable of taking the crown.

And after seven wins in seven qualifying matches, he has has cited Fabio Capello's rejuvenated England as a major threat.

"First we have to see who gets there because, for instance, Portugal are struggling to qualify," he told the Daily Star.

"But I can say the most important national teams at the moment are Spain, Argentina, Italy, France and England."

Kaka added: "I think England are playing very well under Capello.

"England have a very, very good group of players.

"Of course we know now in football that just talent is not enough. But I think England can have a very good World Cup."

sky star 2

Super VIP
BLATTER PLEASED WITH SOUTH AFRICA

Sepp Blatter believes that South Africa is 75% ready to host next year's World Cup finals.

Addressing a press conference in Johannesburg to reflect on the Confederations Cup, which ended on Sunday, the FIFA president praised the organisers, but said more needed to be done ahead of Africa's first staging of the global showpiece.

"I can say that the rehearsal from the FIFA point of view has been satisfactory," he said. "We are on the very positive side when we go to do an assessment.

"One of the items that specifically has always been put into question was that of security. The organising committee, with Danny Jordaan as chief executive, have done a very good job.

"The hospitality has been remarkable. We know that some of the logistical things, like transport and accommodation, will have to be worked on. But compliments to the organisers.

"Assessing the work that has been done on a scale of 1-10, I would say that you are at 7.5. This is before the beginning of the next activity, which is the draw.

"If you pass that, then it could be eight and at the end of the World Cup, you could be at 10. This is my assessment."

Blatter was also pleased with the action on the field, which culminated with defending champions Brazil snatching a thrilling 3-2 victory over the United States.

He continued: "Over the 16 matches, we've seen good football.

"The tournament has produced very attractive football, passionate football, football with results that have not been expected and games that reached the final moments before being decided. This is one of the most important things."

One worrying factor for organisers before the tournament was the performance of the host team, but Blatter said that Bafana Bafana's showing - they finished fourth after going down 3-2 to Spain in the third-place play-off - was also another encouraging aspect.

"They have improved from the first match to the last match," he said. "Again yesterday, they not only created problems, but almost brought down the European champions.

"Also remember what they did in the semi-final against Brazil when they lost in the last minute. So we look forward to them getting even better."

Jordaan, the man who has worked tirelessly on the local front to bring the tournament to Africa, was also happy with the way the tournament ran, adding: "It was after the fans celebrated in the stadium following the closing ceremony when we had a smile on our face.

"I think this event has brought and produced the most diverse audience in any sporting event in this country, and this is a huge contribution that this Confederations Cup has made.

"We are happy that he (Blatter) is happy and is satisfied that we have delivered.

"But the celebrations should be short, because last night was the end of the Confederations Cup and today is the first day to deliver the final draw and then the World Cup."

Blatter himself was also thrilled to have moved closer to his dream that the African continent would one day host the World Cup, adding that they had the full support of FIFA.

He said: "The FIFA World Cup on the African continent is a very important issue for the FIFA family. Everybody has agreed after long dissertations and criticism that yes, let's say yes to Africa and in this case to South Africa.

"Members of the executive committee and the presidents of all the confederations, who are not here, everybody, all 24 members are now convinced that the decision was right to come here."

sky star 2

Super VIP
WALCOTT LOOKS FORWARD

England winger Theo Walcott has set his sights on next year's World Cup after falling at the final hurdle with the Under-21s this summer.

Walcott pushed for his own inclusion in Stuart Pearce's squad despite Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger being strongly opposed to the 20-year-old playing in World Cup qualifiers for the seniors just before the European Under-21 Championships.

Pearce dropped Walcott during the tournament before recalling him and playing him as a lone striker in the final defeat to Germany when Gabriel Agbonlahor and Fraizer Campbell were suspended.

Walcott said: "It's been a fantastic experience for me to play in a tournament, and hopefully I'll have another in the World Cup in 2010.

"It's unfortunate we didn't get the result but we can be proud of ourselves and we'll be stronger as people after this. We're proud of getting to the final, even if things didn't go our way."

It is expected to be Walcott's final campaign for the Under-21s as he is established in Fabio Capello's squad.

Among the players still eligible for Pearce are Kieran Gibbs and Jack Rodwell, who have been tipped to make the step up eventually.

"It shows the youth coming through," Walcott said. "We're going to have a great crack at it in the next couple of years and fingers crossed we'll be there."

England were crushed 4-0 in the final of the tournament, with Watford goalkeeper Scott Loach guilty of an error for one of the goals.

"We've done so well to get here," Loach said. "It's been a two-year competition for some of the lads so I feel deeply for them. For the new boys who've come in like myself, we know what we have to do next time.

"We've got massive experience going into the next tournament but we have to go out and perform on the pitch. Hopefully we can better ourselves next time.

"We want to come back, prove a point, not be remembered for a 4-0 defeat and kick on.

"Being here I know what to expect going into the next one if selected - playing in front of a crowd like that, a big television audience, that's all I can take from it."

Midfielder Fabrice Muamba added: "It's been a great learning curve, a great experience. We can look back on some great results but I'm sure we'll come back a stronger team."

sky star 2

Super VIP
INAMOTO TARGETS WORLD CUP SPOT

New Rennes signing Junichi Inamoto is hoping his spell in France can help him earn a spot in Japan's World Cup squad.

The 29-year-old, who has had spells in England with Arsenal, Fulham and West Brom, made 19 appearances for Frankfurt last season before making the switch to France on a free transfer.

He has also spent a season in Turkey with Galatasaray, and believes his travels across the continent will help him settle better as he embarks on a crucial season for his international prospects.

"It is true that until now I have not stayed more than two years at a club, but it allowed me to gain great experience," he told the Rennes website, www.staderennais.com.

"I want to use this experience at the Stade Rennais but my first objective is to to serve the team and hopefully get them into Europe."

He added: "The fact that I'll be playing in Rennes in a high-level league is a great opportunity. Now I hope that I will be selected (for the Japan squad)."

The midfielder will join up once more with Frederic Antonetti, who coached Inamoto during a spell with J.League side Gamba Osaka in the late 1990s.

"I knew the coach and Rennes is a good club, it's very motivating. I am also very interested in the French Ligue 1 so this opportunity appealed to me," he continued.

"Anytime he (Antonetti) got angry in Japan he did so in French. It's been 10 years since I heard that voice and it's great to hear it again."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HARTLEY IN OPTIMISTIC MOOD

Paul Hartley sees no reason why Scotland cannot take all three points from their crucial World Cup qualifier in Norway next month.

The Scots steered their campaign to qualify for South Africa back on track with a much-needed win over Iceland at Hampden in April, which has lifted them to second in Group 9 with three games remaining.

Hartley is now well aware of how important it is to maintain a winning streak at this stage of the competition as they prepare to travel to Oslo for the crunch clash on August 12.

"It's important that we win the game to give ourselves a chance," he said.

"Any away game is going to be tough but we've got to go there and be positive and try and believe that we can win it.

"We had a good result against Iceland so we have to be positive and see where it takes us.

"Everybody wants to get to a World Cup and hopefully we can get the right result in Norway."

Hartley is expected to sign for Bristol City on Monday after a successful two-and-half years at Celtic.

But the 32-year-old admits representing Scotland at the World Cup finals would be the pinnacle of his career.

He told BBC Scotland: "Being an international player, that's what you try to achieve, major finals.

"It doesn't come much bigger than the World Cup finals so we would love to get there.

"Only time will tell but if we did get there it would be a fantastic achievement."

sky star 2

Super VIP
IWELUMO: WE'VE SCOT A GREAT CHANCE

Chris Iwelumo has refused to rule out playing a part in the climax to Scotland's World Cup qualifying campaign - but backed his team-mates to deliver success with or without him.

The Wolves striker is set to miss the start of the new season after breaking a metatarsal in a friendly win in Australia.

The 30-year-old limped off during the 1-0 victory over Perth Glory following a tangle of legs with former Leeds player Jacob Burns and X-rays later revealed a break.

Iwelumo now has little chance of being involved in Scotland's crucial clash in Norway on August 12 but has refused to rule out a return in time for the double-header against Macedonia and Holland at Hampden in September.

"It's a fantastic squad and there are some great strikers there," he said.

"I'll do whatever I can to get myself fit.

"The importance of those matches are unbelievable but we've got good players there, good characters.

"The manager knows what he is doing and hopefully we can get the right result for the country."

Iwelumo will have a better idea of how long he can expect to be sidelined when he goes under the knife this week.

He told Sky Sports News: "We will know more after the operation and take it from there.

"I'll be getting an operation on Tuesday and then basically I'll be going into a rehab programme.

"I'll be trying to maintain the fitness that I have just now, I'm in pretty good shape.

"I just want to keep on top of it and look after myself as much as possible."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ROONEY DRIVEN BY PAIN OF EURO FAILURE

Wayne Rooney admits the "hurt" of England failing to qualify for the 2008 European Championships is driving him on to achieve World Cup glory next summer.

The Manchester United striker was devastated when England missed out on the finals in Austria and Switzerland last summer.

But he has responded with a glut of goals to take Fabio Capello's side to the brink of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Rooney took his tally to 10 in his last seven appearances for his country in the 6-0 demolition of Andorra at Wembley on Wednesday night, with eight of those goals coming in qualifiers.

The 23-year-old said: "I think the disappointment of not qualifying for Euro 2008 is still very much in the players' minds. You can't just forget about something like that.

"The manager and the coaching staff coming in have been a big plus for us and they have really got us playing more as a team and winning games. That is the main reason we are doing so well.

"But the hurt of not being part of the finals last summer has certainly motivated me.

"I also know a lot of other players were really hurt and devastated by not going through to the Euro finals. England means so much to us and the fans."

Rooney admits he is targeting lifting football's most coveted trophy but is aware a long season lies ahead before England can contemplate such potential achievements.

He said: "We have won the first seven qualifiers, and we have got one foot in the World Cup finals, and hopefully we can get there in our next game and start preparing for what is ahead.

"To be honest, I haven't thought that much about the World Cup at the moment. I am just looking at qualifying and there will be a lot of preparation for it.

"It is another long season next year with our clubs and we have to make sure we stay fit and stay ready and, when it comes around, we will think about it then.

"But at the start of every season you always have targets and hopefully at the end of this one a World Cup to look forward to - and I hope a World Cup trophy at the end of it."

Rooney is pleased with his current hot streak but is more content with the quality of England's performances.

They took their goal tally to 26 in seven qualifiers with the easy win over Andorra and could clinch a place in the finals if they defeat Croatia at Wembley in September.

He said: "I am delighted I have been scoring in the last few games but the most important thing is we have played well as a team.

"There has been a real momentum during this campaign. I think we have played some great football at times but we have also stuck in there and ground out results at times."

sky star 2

Super VIP
TERRY: EURO ABSENCE SHOCKED US

Captain John Terry admits the England squad needed a "kick up the backside" after failing to qualify for Euro 2008 - and revealed how a session of video nasties from Fabio Capello helped guide them back towards next summer's World Cup finals.

England are now completely transformed from the ill-fated Steve McClaren era, which ended with defeat to Croatia on a cold, rainy November night at Wembley two years ago.

Seven successive qualifying victories have left Capello's men on the brink of securing safe passage to the 2010 showpiece tournament, where expectations of a nation are set to be raised once more.

"Not being in the Euros gave us all a kick up the backside which maybe we needed," said Chelsea defender Terry.

"We were not playing well and we all admitted that. Now things are going well, we are working hard for each other and the manager deserves a pat on the back.

"He has shown us videos when we did not work back and fight for each other.

"When you see things like that on the screen with the manager standing there, it makes you want to fight harder for your team-mates."

Terry added: "The improvement is there, but we have got to keep it going. There is no point doing it over seven qualifiers and then standing still for a year. The key is to keep steadily improving."

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney took his tally to 10 in seven games with a double against Andorra at Wembley on Wednesday night.

Rooney has now moved level on 24 goals with Sir Geoff Hurst, who scored a famous hat-trick at Wembley in the 1966 final.

Terry feels the 23-year-old can prove the difference if England are to make an impact in the latter stages of the World Cup.

"Being in tournaments with him, Wayne has been the one who can unlock things and break defences down," said the England captain.

"Even away from his goalscoring record, which is fantastic at the minute and he is in a great vein of form, his build-up play and link-up play is some of the best around.

"Wayne gives an awful lot more to the side than just his goals.

"Obviously it has been disappointing for him in the last two tournaments, but in the build-up to both of them he was in great form before the injury and then the sending-off.

"Wayne will want to stay fit and stay away from those things - but he has grown up an awful lot and I think we are seeing that in his performances."

As well as Capello being able to get the best out of the Premier League stars when they pull on an England jersey, there is also plenty of strength in depth through the ranks.

Terry, though, warned any players on the fringes of the squad they must be getting regular club football if they harbour hopes of being on the plane to South Africa.

"It is important for young players to break through at club level," said the 28-year-old, who had a brief loan spell away from Chelsea at Nottingham Forest in 2000.

"We need English players to get their chance and if they are not getting that then they need to get out and go somewhere where they will play regular football - do not be content and happy just to stay at a club and earn your money.

"When I was younger I wanted to go out on loan, fight for my place and then come back. It was the same with Lamps [Frank Lampard].

"Credit to lads like Glen Johnson and Shaun Wright-Phillips for doing that. They have given it a year and worked hard in training, but when things do not change they have realised they had to go away and play regular football.

"That is when they have shown what they can really do. So it is important that English players do get their chance at club level.

"If they are not playing for their clubs, it does not matter who is in charge of the England side because they are not going to get a chance to show what they can do at the very top.

"That is why I stress it is important for English players to get out and play some football."

sky star 2

Super VIP
GORDON A WORRY FOR BURLEY

Scotland manager George Burley admits the absence of Craig Gordon for the crucial World Cup qualifier against Norway next month would be a "massive blow".

The Sunderland goalkeeper looks set to miss the trip to Oslo on August 12 after club boss Steve Bruce expressed concerns about his fitness ahead of the new season.

Gordon underwent knee surgery at the end of last season but is still experiencing pain and now looks unlikely to make the start of the new campaign.

That places a question mark over his availability for the national team, with Burley set to turn to David Marshall or Neil Alexander instead following Allan McGregor's involvement in the infamous "Boozegate" affair.

"Craig is one of the top goalkeepers anywhere in Europe and it would be a massive blow if he was not able to make the Norway game," Burley told the Scottish Dail Mail.

"He is going to see the specialist again within the next week.

"We will know after that if he has a chance of being in contention but Steve Bruce and Sunderland's medical staff feel it is unlikely he will be ready."

Wolves striker Chris Iwelumo is also set to miss the trip to Norway after breaking a metatarsal in a pre-season friendly.

Burley added: "There have been a number of injury problems in recent weeks but these things happen.

"It's not ideal but it won't sway our focus from what needs to be done over the last three qualifiers."

Speaking on the club's official website, Bruce said: "Craig has not recovered and that's a worry after his operation.

"It's not a huge, huge worry - the boy will be okay - but my worry is will he be fit to start the season given it's the same knee he had the operation on."

sky star 2

Super VIP
FOSTER: GIVE ME A CHANCE, SIR ALEX

Ben Foster is crossing his fingers that his body will stand the strain of trying to become a Manchester United regular and earning a place at the World Cup.

Foster has endured a catalogue of injuries since he was signed from Stoke four years ago.

After two seasons on loan at Watford, a cruciate ligament injury wrecked his first season at Old Trafford, a broken finger then cost him a place at last year's Club World Cup in Japan before a thumb injury ended his hopes of appearing on the bench for last term's Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.

The latter problem was particularly costly given Foster would almost certainly have won two more caps in the World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra last month, adding to the couple he already has to his name.

Ahead of what is likely to be Edwin van der Sar's last year at United, Foster knows he needs to make a big impression, both on Sir Alex Ferguson and Fabio Capello, who share the opinion that the 26-year-old is one of the best English goalkeepers around.

And, as he assesses his past record, the Leamington Spa-born stopper admits the first part of his task may be harder than the second.

"If I want to go to the World Cup I need to be fit and I need to be playing for Manchester United," he said.

"It is the first part of that I have always found pretty hard to do.

"Unfortunately the way my career has gone I have picked up injuries here and there.

"The last one was a blow because I missed some important games for club and country. But I needed to get my thumb repaired.

"Thankfully the operation went well and I have been fit all pre-season.

"I feel good in myself and as long as I can stay fit I hope the gaffer gives me a chance to show what I can do.

"I have just signed a new contract so now I have to start pushing on."

Given the position he finds himself in, Foster could have done without the blunder that gifted Malaysia their equalising goal in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday.

Under little pressure as he went to control a Darron Gibson back-pass at the Bukit Jalil Stadium, Foster allowed it to bounce off his shin, straight to a delighted Mohammed Amri Yahyah, who tapped into an empty net.

Foster could only attempt to hide his embarrassment. Not that it was possible once he returned to the United dressing room, where no mercy was shown.

"Coming on in a game is always a bit more difficult for goalkeepers than starting but that was particularly disappointing," said Foster, who had replaced Edwin van der Sar at the interval.

"I got a bit of stick from the lads that's for sure.

"It was just one of those things. I wasn't paying enough attention and took my eye off the ball.

"I have to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen again."

Although Foster did go on tour to South Africa three years ago before his second stint at Watford, this is his first experience of United fanaticism Asian-style.

It takes some getting used to as well.

Fans are camped outside the team hotel 24 hours a day. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was once pounced on by an autograph hunter when he merely put his head out of his room door on a similar tour a few years back.

And United's arrival in Seoul was even more frenzied given Park Ji-sung has joined up with his team-mates after an extended summer break.

"It is absolutely mad," admitted Foster.

"I missed the trip a couple of years ago but the lads came back and told me all about it. They camp outside the hotel, even when we go to training there are loads of people there. There are hundreds and the noise is unbelievable.

"We get mobbed at airports.

"It just shows you what a massive global brand Manchester United is.

"The other night we were playing the Malaysian national team in Malaysia yet the fans were cheering when we scored. You don't get that anywhere else."

sky star 2

Super VIP
EDUARDO NAMED IN CROATIA SQUAD

Arsenal striker Eduardo has been named in Croatia's squad for the World Cup qualifier against Belarus on August 12.

Eduardo has been unable to take part in any of Croatia's World Cup qualifying campaign so far, as he battled back from a broken leg suffered playing for Arsenal against Birmingham in February 2008.

He returned to action for his club at the tail end of last season, and has now been named by Croatia boss Slaven Bilic in his latest squad.

Bilic has named only 20 players for the match, and said he will keep training sessions to a minimum.

"We have chosen a smaller amount of players as we will only have two or three training sessions together," he said.

Dinamo Zagreb's Dejan Lovren is included with both Robert Kovac and Hrvoje Vejic out injured.

Tottenham duo Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric are included, as is Portsmouth winger Niko Kranjcar.

Croatia Squad: Stipe Pletikosa (Spartak Moscow), Vedran Runje (Lens); Vedran Corluka (Tottenham), Ivica Krizanac (Zenit St Petersburg), Josip Simunic (Hoffenheim), Hrvoje Cale (Trabzonspor), Dejan Lovren (Dinamo Zagreb); Darijo Srna (Shakhtar Donetsk), Ivan Juric (Genoa), Ognjen Vukojevic (Dinamo Kiev), Nikola Pokrivac (Monaco), Jerko Leko (Monaco), Danijel Pranjic (Bayern Munich), Luka Modric (Tottenham), Niko Kranjcar (Portsmouth), Ivan Rakitic (Schalke); Ivica Olic (Bayern Munich), Mladen Petric (Hamburg), Mario Mandukic (Dinamo Zagreb), Eduardo da Silva (Arsenal).

sky star 2

Super VIP
ELANO EXPLAINS CITY DEPARTURE

Elano has revealed he had to leave Manchester City for Galatasaray in order to safeguard his place in Brazil's World Cup squad.

The midfielder has signed a four-year contract with the Turkish giants after spending the previous two seasons with City.

He impressed during his debut campaign under Sven Goran Eriksson, but was in and out of the side following Mark Hughes' appointment as manager.

The likes of Inter Milan and Juventus had been linked with the 28-year-old and he confirmed he had received several offers.

However, he believes linking up with Galatasaray presents him with the best opportunity to claim a spot in Brazil coach Dunga's plans for next summer's World Cup in South Africa.

"I spoke with my national coach Dunga and he told me it will be difficult to enter me on his World Cup list if I am not playing football regularly," said Elano.

"I need time on the field. This season is very important. I dream of playing in the World Cup.

"I have received a few other offers, but this is the best one for me and City.

"I never had any problems with the coach, but Hughes may not have had total confidence in me."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ELANO EXPLAINS CITY DEPARTURE

Elano has revealed he had to leave Manchester City for Galatasaray in order to safeguard his place in Brazil's World Cup squad.

The midfielder has signed a four-year contract with the Turkish giants after spending the previous two seasons with City.

He impressed during his debut campaign under Sven Goran Eriksson, but was in and out of the side following Mark Hughes' appointment as manager.

The likes of Inter Milan and Juventus had been linked with the 28-year-old and he confirmed he had received several offers.

However, he believes linking up with Galatasaray presents him with the best opportunity to claim a spot in Brazil coach Dunga's plans for next summer's World Cup in South Africa.

"I spoke with my national coach Dunga and he told me it will be difficult to enter me on his World Cup list if I am not playing football regularly," said Elano.

"I need time on the field. This season is very important. I dream of playing in the World Cup.

"I have received a few other offers, but this is the best one for me and City.

"I never had any problems with the coach, but Hughes may not have had total confidence in me."

sky star 2

Super VIP
HIGUAIN OPEN TO FRANCE SWITCH

Gonzalo Higuain has not discounted switching his allegiance to France ahead of next year's World Cup finals as he continues to be ignored by Argentina.

The Real Madrid forward, who has dual nationality, is yet to be called up by the Albiceleste, much to the player's bemusement.

If the situation remains, Higuain has not ruled out playing for Les Bleus in the future.

In an interview he gave with the website of French magazine So Foot, the 21-year-old is quoted as saying: "It's pleasing that (France coach Raymond) Domenech is interested in me, especially since the France team are a world power and then there is Karim Benzema, a very good player.

"Therefore you never know."

Higuain, who was born in France and has an Argentinian father, scored 22 goals for Real in the Primera Division last season.

He may struggle for game time in the forthcoming campaign with the Spanish giants having recruited Cristiano Ronaldo, Benzema and Kaka over the summer.

He added in the So Foot interview: "I am working hard every day so that (Argentina coach) Maradona calls me up.

"I want to take part in the 2010 World Cup so I am not completely losing hope, even if I don't really know why he continues to forget about me in his call-ups."

sky star 2

Super VIP
ALEXANDER: I WANT MORE SCOTLAND CAPS

Burnley veteran Graham Alexander is keen to prolong his career with Scotland.

Alexander, 37, switched to a holding role last season for his club and was outstanding as they clinched promotion to the Premier League.

After playing a marathon 61 games, he was rewarded by manager Owen Coyle with a one-year extension to his contract.

Despite a hectic schedule on the horizon Alexander wants to build on his 38 caps - he did not make his debut until he was 30.

He hopes to make the squad to face Norway in a World Cup qualifier on August 12 - it is being announced tomorrow - after sitting out the victory against Iceland because of a hamstring injury.

Alexander said: "I have loved my time with Scotland the last seven years. I have been involved with some great teams and we've achieved some great results. I still want to be part of it.

"I want to play as long as possible. It is a privilege to play for Scotland and hope it will last."

Coyle has nothing but admiration for the way Alexander goes about his business.

"He was running around like a 16-year-old on the day we reported back for training, " said the former St Johnstone boss.

sky star 2

Super VIP
CLEM CLUB WARNING FOR FOSTER

Ray Clemence has warned Manchester United goalkeeper Ben Foster he must be playing regularly this season to be considered part of Fabio Capello's World Cup plans.

Foster only has two England caps to his name but has been tipped by club manager Sir Alex Ferguson to claim the England number one jersey for next year's World Cup in South Africa.

David James has been Capello's number one choice since the Italian took over in 2007 but doubts remain over the Portsmouth stopper's consistency.

He will also be 40 years old by next year's tournament and Ferguson last week backed Foster, 13 years James' junior, to become England's number one despite his relative inexperience at United and at international level.

Clemence, who is Capello's goalkeeping coach, believes, however, Foster must seriously challenge United number one Edwin Van der Sar to put himself in contention for a place in the World Cup squad.

Clemence said: "To play international football you need to be playing games on a regular basis and that is his target this year: to get the opportunity to play consistently in the team.

"Then what he has to do is take that opportunity and say, 'Sorry Edwin, you're not having your place back'."

Foster, who has played only 10 times for the Red Devils, signed a new four-year contract at Old Trafford this summer.

Clemence believes Ferguson must have given Foster some assurances he will play more this season for the former Stoke player to have agreed to stay at the Premier League champions.

"Ben knows to be part of a squad he knows he has to be playing a lot more football than he was playing last year," Clemence, who has 61 England caps, said.

"I'm sure that within those discussions for that new deal there will have been discussions about him getting an opportunity or more opportunities in the United side and, of course, if he does get an opportunity then he has to take it and he has to perform."

Foster endured a frustrating year last term with a number of injuries denying him the chance to stake a claim for a starting place for both club and country.

When James opted to have surgery on his knee and shoulder at the end of last season, Foster was unable to step into the void as he was recovering from a thumb injury.

Clemence says Foster has been working hard to make sure he stays clear of injury, although he admits the Leamington Spa-born stopper will have a tough task on his hands to displace James in the England goal.

"There is no doubt that Ben has got an incredible potential," continued Clemence, who was speaking at the launch of this year's Nationwide Football Annual.

"Last year he was blighted by a number of injuries, though, which stopped his development.

"But I know he's spent a lot of the close season coming in earlier than everyone else and has done work while everyone else has been holidaying.

"The one thing I'll say about David (James), though, is that he is probably as fit a goalkeeper as there is.

"He is the best physical specimen as a keeper we have seen around in a long time.

"Robert Green played well filling in for him and then we have the likes of Joe Hart, and Scott Carson as well.

"They'll all be pushing to get back into the squad so it's a healthier state of affairs in terms of English keepers playing in the Premier League this year."

sky star 2

Super VIP
FIRST FRANCE CALL FOR SISSOKO

Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko has been called up by France for the first time ahead of their World Cup Group Seven qualifying match against the Faroe Islands next week.

Sissoko, 19, is the only newcomer in a 22-man squad named by coach Raymond Domenech, which also includes Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery who has recently been troubled by a knee complaint.

There is no room for captain and midfielder Patrick Vieira, who is still not fully match fit, but Chelsea winger Florent Malouda is retained and Arsenal centre-back William Gallas is recalled after recovering from knee-ligament damage.

Samir Nasri (fractured fibula) misses out through injury.

Teenager Sissoko has been linked with a number of leading European sides after impressing last season for Toulouse. He has been a regular in France's Under-21 team.

France, who play the Faroe Islands in Torshavn a week on Wednesday, are currently second in their group, eight points behind leaders Serbia.

Serbia, however, have played two games more than France, and the two countries have to meet in what could turn out to be a pool decider in Belgrade on September 9.

The Faroes are bottom of the group with one point from five matches.

France squad: Cedric Carrasso (Bordeaux), Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Marseille); Eric Abidal (Barcelona), Julien Escude (Sevilla), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Rod Fanni (Rennes), William Gallas, Bacary Sagna (both Arsenal), Sebastien Squillaci (Sevilla); Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Lassana Diarra (Real Madrid), Yoann Gourcuff (Bordeaux), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Moussa Sissoko (Toulouse), Jeremy Toulalan (Lyon); Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Andre-Pierre Gignac (Toulouse), Thierry Henry (Barcelona), Loic Remy (Nice), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich).