Latest Premier League News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lamps eyes coaching role
Chelsea and England midfielder to take coaching badges

Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard is seriously considering entering football management when he hangs up his boots.

The 30-year-old had originally thought he would quit the game once his playing career was over.

But, after working with the likes of Jose Mourinho, Fabio Capello and Guus Hiddink, he has now developed a taste for the management side of the game.

He said: "I will take my coaching badges at some stage to be in a position where it (management) is a big possibility for me.

"I would love to work with players when I eventually stop playing.

"It is true that a few years ago I didn't feel like going into the management side of things once I stopped playing. I was thinking more along the lines of getting away from football.
Bit older

"But now I am a bit older. I look at younger players and I've worked with so many good managers, and it gives you the taste to maybe get involved."

While England will be on the verge of qualifying for next summer's World Cup finals if they beat Andorra at Wembley on Wednesday, Lampard is taking nothing for granted.

The midfielder added: "We still have fresh in our minds the way we didn't qualify for the Euros so we will never get ahead of ourselves until we have officially qualified.

"The Kazakhstan game last Saturday and the one coming up on Wednesday are big stepping stones. We know we aren't definitely over the finishing line even if we should get another win.

"But another three points can get us very near to qualification and put us in a really good position."

Team ethic

Lampard also believes the 'team ethic' installed by England boss Capello has helped to cool the debate over the way himself and Steven Gerrard perform compared with their displays for Chelsea and Liverpool respectively.

He said: "I don't think there will ever be a complete line drawn under that (the Gerrard-Lampard situation). It is just par for the course. I am pretty used to that.

"It is a bit more calm these days but, if we do lose a game along the line, I am sure someone will bring that up. I don't think it matters too much to us.

"There is a real team ethic about us and we try and take the edge off always talking about individuals and how people play for their clubs compared with their country.

"That is not so much the issue for us as a group. The issue is about coming together, playing together and winning games."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hiddink slams Fergie tactics
Dutchman says United boss failed to prepare tactically for final loss

Guus Hiddink has blamed Sir Alex Ferguson for Manchester United's UEFA Champions League final defeat, declaring that he failed to prepare tactically.

The Dutchman insisted that he was bored watching the spectacle in Rome as Spanish champions Barcelona ran out comfortable 2-0 winners.

The 62-year-old left his temporary post at Chelsea at the end of the season following the team's FA Cup success against Everton at Wembley last month.

However it was Champions League glory that Hiddink craved most and he nearly achieved it, coming within seconds of knocking Barcelona out of the competition at the semi-final stage.

However the Red Devils failed to get to grips with Barca in the same manner that Chelsea achieved over the two-legs in April, leaving the Russia coach disappointed.

"I had no joy watching the Champions League final," he said. "It was boring. There was only one team on the pitch and it was Barca.
No real fight

"There was no real fight and it was proof that it's very important to analyse the opponent.

"Barcelona played their own football, but they also knew in advance all the weaknesses of Manchester United."

Hiddink is not the only one to criticise the tactics used by United in the final after Ferguson came under fire from his own players following Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo's comments stating that the team was too negative.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Gazidis points to positives
Arsenal fans asked to see the bigger picture

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis believes Gunners fans should look at the overall picture and not just their four-year spell without any silverware.

The North Londoners have not won a trophy since securing the 2005 FA Cup following their penalty shoot-out success over Manchester United at the Millennium Stadium.

Manager Arsene Wenger has opted for youth in recent seasons, but despite a lot of promise and exciting football the club have failed to add to their extensive trophy cabinet.

While Gazidis admits it is disappointing fans have not been rewarded in recent seasons, he believes they should take a step back and put the current era in context with the club's 120-year history.

Along with reaching the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League, the Gunners finished their league campaign with just one defeat from their 24 outings following a poor start to the season.
Perspective

"I think perspective is very important," he told The Telegraph. "You need to take a distance when you assess the season.

"This club has over 120 years of history and if you're looking at where we are and how we're doing at this period of our development you have to say it is one of the special times, one of the golden times. I hope we don't forget to appreciate that.

"I arrived halfway through the campaign and obviously the first half was very difficult, losing five out of our first 14 games in the Premier League. We were struggling for consistency but then there was the period in the middle of the season when the team found that consistency.

"There were times when we were having trouble being really fluid and then of course the consistency came, the players started coming back from injury and everything began to look possible.

"We had a terrific run in the FA Cup and the Champions League and we were on the cusp of doing something very special with a young squad this year.

"Then unfortunately at the end we feel like we missed out on the prizes that we were aiming for. That's a disappointment for us but there's a lot to build on from the campaign. And as we look forward to next season we're very optimistic."

Last edited:

sky star 2

Super VIP
Johnson dismisses exit talk
England defender insists he isn't aware of any interest

Glen Johnson has stressed that his future lies with Portsmouth after his impressive form last season has seen him linked with a move away from Fratton Park.

Many expect the 24-year-old to move on to bigger and better things this summer with Tottenham, Liverpool and a move to former club Chelsea mooted.

But the England international acknowledges that if it wasn't for his move to Pompey in August 2007 he would not currently find himself as Fabio Capello's number one right-back.

The former West Ham youngster banished any rumours of an exit in January when he penned a new four-and-a-half year deal and Johnson admits that he has not heard of any interest this time around.

"My future is there (Portsmouth) at the moment," he told the Daily Express. "No one has spoken to me, nothing has been said.

"As far as I'm concerned I'm a Portsmouth player and I will be."
Brought the love back

Johnson has bounced back from a disappointing spell at Chelsea when he signed for £6million to become the first signing of the Roman Abramovich era in 2003; so much so that a return to Stamford Bridge is considered a realistic proposition.

However if it is anything like his first spell in West London it seems the defender will decide against a return to the Blues.

"It was a not that I lost confidence at Chelsea," he added. "I wasn't given a chance. Playing one game in six weeks is no good for anybody.

"It was a bit crazy really. I was frustrated every day and Pompey brought the love back. Harry (Redknapp) signed me and playing week-in, week-out helped me."

Johnson endured a turbulent 75 minutes against Kazakhstan at the weekend for England before he was replaced by David Beckham, but the game marked his fifth consecutive match under Capello and he admits that playing consistently at club level has helped him.

"I'm over the moon with that," he stated. "That's made me want to keep the shirt for as long as I can.

"I've benefitted from playing virtually every game with Pompey. That was one of the main reasons I signed."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Bayern call for Ribery resolution
Beckenbauer wants a summer free from speculation

Franz Beckenbauer is adamant the future of Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery will not turn into a long-running saga over the summer.

The talented French schemer is thought to top the wish-list of some of Europe's biggest clubs, with the likes of Real Madrid, Chelsea and Manchester United all mooted as suitors.

Bayern general manager Uli Hoeness has sent out mixed signals by first claiming he was not for sale at any price and then expressing his willingness to speak to new Real president Florentino Perez.

Beckenbauer wants the issue resolved, either by signing Ribery to a new contract or selling him.
Two solutions

"I can see only two solutions: Ribery extends his contract so the issue is dealt with or we release him," he said in Bild.

"I rate Ribery alongside Cristiano Ronaldo and (Lionel) Messi as the best footballers in the world at present.

"If he were to leave, it would be the second huge loss for the Bundesliga after Diego.

"However, if Ribery wants to leave, then it will be hard for us to keep hold of him."

Would cope

Nevertheless, Beckenbauer does not believe Bayern's world would fall apart without the 26-year-old.

"So many so-called irreplaceable players have gone yet football has still moved on," he said.

"Obviously it would be a shame, though, and it is hard to imagine Bayern being better without Ribery."

Real are believed to be preparing a bid which would tempt Bayern's new Dutch coach Louis van Gaal by offering his two compatriots Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder, along with a sizeable fee.

Ribery refused to dampen the transfer talk when he appeared on French TV programme Telefoot on Sunday.

"I will see how my situation is going to develop. Honestly, I don't know - my situation isn't easy to deal with," the former Marseille winger said.

"I am under contract until 2011 with Bayern, I am fine over there. I'm not someone who likes to clash - I have spent two good years at Bayern.

"We will see how everything turns out."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Villa and Rovers chase Zigic
Villa and Blackburn among clubs reportedly chasing giant Serbian

Aston Villa and Blackburn are reportedly interested in signing Serbian striker Nikola Zigic from Valencia.

The giant front man switched to Valencia in a £13.5million move back in August 2007 but has been deemed surplus to requirements at the Mestalla.

He returned to his former club Racing Santandar for six months on loan in January where he enjoyed a successful spell.

Racing are also thought to be interested in signing the player permanently, as are Espanyol, but Valencia want the highest price for Zigic, which means the English clubs are favourites to sign him.
Right price

The club's sporting director Fernando Gomez said: "We have decided to sell but at the right price in the market.

"We have paid a lot of money for Zigic and it is necessary to recuperate a (sizeable) part."

Sources close to Valencia say they will not accept an offer of less than €10million for the player.

His agent Milan Calasan confirmed he has received offers and he is planning to fly to Valencia in the coming days to hold talks with the club.

Decision

"Valencia have the decision in their hands," he said.

Zigic himself has previously said he would like to move to a UEFA Champions League side if he is not wanted at Valencia or, failing that, he would be happy to go back to Racing.

He also believes he could do a job in the Premier League, saying: "I want a speedy solution to avoid the uncertainty of last summer.

"At Racing Santander I have demonstrated that I score goals in La Liga and it is possible to repeat the experience in the Premier League."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Rafa - Masch not for sale
Reds boss dismisses claims midfielder could join Barca

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has stated that Javier Mascherano is not for sale at any price.

The midfielder's agent, Walter Tamer, said on Tuesday that Mascherano would be open to joining Barcelona, should the European champions make an approach.

And Benitez has confirmed that Tamer has informed him of interest from two clubs in the Argentina international's services.

However, Spanish coach Benitez has no intention of letting Mascherano leave Anfield, and has warned any potential suitors off making a bid.

"Mascherano has no price," Benitez told the club's official website.

"Barcelona could not afford to match his value to Liverpool football club.

"We do not want to sell and Javier is very happy here.
Happy

"I have spoken to Javier two or three times this summer - the last time was only last week - and he was very happy, very positive.

"He gave me the private number of his agent, Walter Tamer, and again the conversation was very positive and was all about football.

"Walter told me that two clubs with big, big names were asking after Mascherano - and I told him to forget it, that Javier was happy in Liverpool and he was not for sale.

"So I was surprised to see the agent's comments today.

"He has a long contract and any club can forget about bidding for him. They can offer £40m or even £50m, we don't want to sell."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Leeds deny Delph deal
No bids for midfielder

Leeds United have denied reports that starlet Fabien Delph is poised to leave the club and join Everton.

Reports had claimed that The Toffees had won the battle to sign the England Under-21 midfield star ahead of the likes of Manchester United, Fulham and Sunderland who have all been strongly linked with him in recent months.

But Leeds - who look to have a battle to keep Delph after again failing to gain promotion from League One - insist no deal is in place.

"Despite the speculation, there have been no offers for Fab since the end of the season," Leeds chief executive Shaun Harvey said.

"At this stage of the year speculation is always rife, although it's never helpful."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pompey yet to call Mancini
Former Inter boss' agent says coach has not been contacted

Roberto Mancini's agent has insisted the former Inter Milan manager has not been approached by Portsmouth.

Mancini, 44, has been mooted as a possible contender for the Fratton Park hotseat, after interim head coach Paul Hart's contract expired at the end of the season.

But the Italian's representative, Maurizio De Giorgis, has stated he has had no contact with Portsmouth, who are overseeing a period of due diligence before Sulaiman Al-Fahim seals his takeover.

De Giorgis told The News: "We have not heard anything from Portsmouth. There is no news at this moment."

Croatia manager Slaven Bilic has also been linked with Pompey, although conflicting reports surround his interest in the role.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Real not chasing Valencia
Agent says there have been no summer bids from Spanish club
Antonio Valencia's agent has stated that Real Madrid have not made an offer for the Wigan winger since January.

It was understood over the weekend that Wigan had received two bids in excess of £16million for the Ecuador international.

Real and Manchester United were both believed to have tabled offers but Valencia's representative, Diego Herrera, insists there has been no contact with the Spanish club for some time.

And Herrera is not sure whether Real will rekindle their interest following the appointment of Florentino Perez as president at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"The only official (offer) from Real Madrid for Antonio was last January," Herrera said in The Independent.

"The offer came from the previous president but Florentino is over there now so I don't know if they are going to go for him again."
Right time

Valencia, who was heavily linked with a move to Real during the winter transfer window, is expected to leave the JJB Stadium ahead of the 2009/10 season.

According to Herrera, the departure of Steve Bruce has convinced Valencia to embark on a new challenge elsewhere.

"It is the right time for him to leave, now that the manager has left," said Herrera.

"He feels it is time to move on."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Prem trio heading to Asia
Tottenham, West Ham and Hull to play in Beijing

Tottenham, West Ham and Hull City are to take part in the Asia Trophy in Beijing next month.

Beijing Guoan, one of China's top teams, join the Premier League trio in the pre-season tournament.

Tottenham will face West Ham on 29th July and the winners will then meet either Hull or the host side in the final two days later.

The Workers Stadium, which was used for the Olympics last year, will stage all the matches.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is looking forward to the event after steering Portsmouth to victory in the 2007 edition in Hong Kong.

"It is a great opportunity for fans from China to get to come and watch their favourite players in action," said Redknapp.
Good preparation

"I really enjoyed the last time I was involved in the competition with Portsmouth two years ago in Hong Kong.

"It was a great few days in terms of preparation for the new season and I was really impressed with everything."

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has also emphasised the importance of helping the game grow in China.

"The development of the game in China is critical to football's future as the world's sport of choice," Scudamore explained.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Zhirkov prefers Barca
Russian still open to Chelsea switch

Yuri Zhirkov has refused to rule out a move to Chelsea but admits he would rather join Barcelona.

The versatile CSKA Moscow winger has had to deny reports in recent weeks that a deal had been agreed for him to move to Stamford Bridge.

He still maintains that he has received no offers but has clarified his position following fresh links with Barcelona.

The Russia international was quoted as saying that he was holding out for a switch to Camp Nou, but he has now stressed that he would be open to joining Chelsea.

However, Zhirkov has also made it clear that his top priority would be to play regularly and he would be prepared to reject any club that could not offer guarantees.

"I would prefer to join Barcelona, but that does not automatically mean I would turn down Chelsea," he explained in Sport Express.
No offers

"I should stress again that there is a difference between playing for a club and sitting on the bench. If I had to sit on the bench, I wouldn't even want to join Barcelona.

"I am still yet to receive any specific offers."

Zhirkov has made no secret of his admiration for AC Milan in the past and admits it would be difficult to choose between the Rossoneri and Barcelona.

"It would depend on the contract," he joked.

"With all else being equal, I would perhaps go to Barcelona because it is a city I like very much and I have friends there.

"However, we are talking about something that is a long way from reality right now."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Inter lead Arnautovic hunt
Austrian forward heading for Italy

Inter Milan look set to beat Chelsea to the signature of FC Twente starlet Marko Arnautovic.

The player's agent claims talks between the Italian giants and the Austrian forward are ongoing, but insists an agreement is imminent.

A stress fracture detected in the 20-year-old's foot while undergoing a medical has delayed proceedings, but has not put Inter off.

As a result, Rob Groener expects the Serie A giants to strike a deal with Steve McClaren's Twente in the not too distant future.

He told www.elfvoetbal.nl: "Marko has had his medical by Inter. The problems with his foot are known.

"But that's no problem for Inter to sign him. For us it's a case of waiting.

"It's now a thing to see if Inter and FC Twente get an agreement. They are negotiating about the transfer."

Chelsea's interest, meanwhile, appears to have cooled, with Groener adding: "No, from them we hear less."

sky star 2

Super VIP
United accept Ronaldo offer
Real agree £80million deal for United star

Manchester United have confirmed they have accepted a bid from Real Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo's future at United has been the subject of constant speculation, with Real having trailed his signature for the last three summers.

Real president Florentino Perez has made no secret of the fact that he would like to lure Ronaldo to El Santiago Bernabeu.

The Spanish titans have now agreed an £80million offer for the Portuguese ace and United have given the World Player of the Year permission to talk to the capital club.

Ronaldo will head to the Spanish capital to hold discussions with Real and undergo a medical.

Real have already snapped up Brazilian superstar Kaka in a world-record deal, but a move for Ronaldo would significantly eclipse that figure.

"Manchester United have received a world-record, unconditional offer of £80million for Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid," read a club statement.

"At Cristiano's request - who has again expressed his desire to leave - and after discussion with the player's representatives, United have agreed to give Real Madrid permission to talk to the player.

"Matters are expected to be concluded by 30th June. The club will not comment until further notice."

The news is bound to be greeted with some scepticism by United fans, who have repeatedly been told no deal had been agreed for the sale of FIFA's World Player of the Year in the face of regular statements from Spain the former Sporting Lisbon star was bound for the Bernabeu.

It was even suggested Ronaldo would be due a £20million compensation fee from Real if the deal did not go through by June 30, the date United now state themselves as when they expect matters to be concluded.

It now remains to be seen where the transfer fee could be reinvested in a squad that almost, but not quite, proved good enough to win back-to-back Champions League trophies, in addition to a hat-trick of Premier League titles.

The name of Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery is bound to crop up as a potential replacement, although the 27-year-old seems overpriced at the £40million figure being bandied about in some quarters, with Wigan's Antonio Valencia also in the frame.

Ferguson will certainly be making plans already to ensure his new faces are on board before United head to Asia for their pre-season tour.

Amid the frenzy over Ronaldo's impending departure, it is bound to be asked whether the current debt hanging over United of almost £700million has played any part in the decision to accept Real's huge bid.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Hughes praise for City supremos
Eastlands boss delighted with working relationship

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes believes he and Khaldoon Al Mubarak have been on a 'learning curve' after praising the Eastlands chairman.

Al Mubarak and City owner Sheikh Mansour have not yet reached their first anniversary in charge of the Premier League club after completing a takeover last September.

But, having received considerable financial backing, Hughes - whose position as boss has been questioned by some critics - is delighted by his working relationship with Al Mubarak.

Gareth Barry became City's latest signing when the former Aston Villa captain recently made a £12million move and Hughes is now looking forward to future business.
Business

"Khaldoon is a great person and I think our first season was a big learning curve for everyone at the club," Hughes told the Manchester Evening News.

"I think he would say that it was the same for him too. The business of football is different from any other type of business in the world and I think that there was a learning process going on for everybody.

"I think it is fair to say that out of all the businesses that Khaldoon is involved with this is the one that excites him the most. This is a results-driven business and the success can be more instant than anything else and therefore more stimulating.

"Khaldoon has a real understanding about the game as well and he knows where the club needs to go. He has always been consistent with his messages and I have been consistent with mine to him and Sheikh Mansour."

Onwards and upwards

Hughes guided City to a 10th-placed Premier League finish in 2009/10 and the Welshman now has his sights set onwards and upwards.

"Last season I never promised that we would be anywhere above where we were," he added. "I have always said that if we build properly and correctly then we will be successful but that it will take time.

"Whenever the chairman speaks you sense that he is a man that understands the problems that are incumbent when you are the manager of a club that is in transition and that his patience is there for all to see.

"I think everyone is excited about what lies ahead for the club because of what we have gone through this season.

"We will be working from a stronger position right from the word go rather than having to address things that perhaps needed to be addressed a few seasons back."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Megson targeting change
Bolton boss targeting quality players to change team's style of play

Bolton boss Gary Megson is aiming to bring in quality players this summer so he can change the team's style of play.

Megson freely admits the club had to put in some 'really dour, grinding performances' to earn results last term.

Now that Premier League safety is assured, he hopes to change the team's style of play, as well as getting results.

The Bolton boss told the club's official website: "We have got to emphasise on the quality of the players that we bring in.
Change

"I would like to change the style that we play as I felt that was one of the reasons the club struggled last season.

"We had to take it back a little bit, get the results at times and not play in the way we would have liked.

"There were some really good performances, but some really dour, grinding performances where we've got results. But it was all about getting those results.

"Hopefully we can use this summer to bring in players who can play a different type of game while still getting the results and maybe more of them."

Busier

He added: "During the last transfer window, we wanted it to be a lot busier. But January is a really difficult time to sign players because most clubs want to hold on to them.

"Despite that, we managed to bring Mark Davies in (from Wolves), which we were really pleased about.

"The serious work, I feel, in the most important window is going to be this one. We now need to make sure the emphasis is really on bringing them in to help us push on."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lippi backs Pirlo switch
Italy coach encourages Milan man to move

Italy coach Marcello Lippi has given Andrea Pirlo his blessing over a mooted transfer to Chelsea.

The 30-year-old has been linked with a £20million move to Stamford Bridge to again link-up with former Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti.

Although Lippi has gone on record in the past week declaring that he would prefer it if his star players remained in Serie A, he insists he would have no problem if his World Cup winning midfielder moved to England.

The former Inter Milan ace played 26 league games last season as the Rossoneri finished third but the Italian international may opt for a fresh challenge in the Premier League after two trophy-less seasons at the San Siro.

"It wouldn't be a problem, regardless of where he plays," Lippi said.

"A flight from London to Rome is like a flight from Milan to Rome."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pompey wait on takeover
But spokesman maintains that Al-Fahim is determined to complete deal

A spokesman for Sulaiman Al-Fahim admits that the due diligence process of the proposed takeover of Portsmouth is 'open to any outcome'.

Al-Fahim has had an offer to buy Pompey accepted by current owner Alexandre Gaydamak and is currently waiting to officially complete the deal.

However, there have been concerns that the drawn-out negotiations may have hit a setback to possibly leave the Fratton Park outfit in limbo.

And Ivo Ilic Gabara, a spokesman for Al-Fahim, confesses that, despite entering a period of due diligence, the deal is not certain.

"What I can tell you is that the timescale hoped to complete due diligence (will be) in the course of July," Gabara said in The Guardian.

"Any process is open to any outcome. The due diligence process is a serious process after which the two parties decide whether to complete the understanding reached (under) the memorandum of understanding.

"But then you have accounts, lawyers, the other party - how can you control whether the other party at the end of the due diligence is still going to be interested in selling?

"What I can say is that Al-Fahim wants to complete the process and sees a great future for the club."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pato staying with Milan
Brazilian youngster backtracks and insists he is going nowhere

Alexandre Pato has pledged his future to AC Milan just weeks after it looked possible that he could be joining former boss Carlo Ancelotti at Chelsea.

The 19-year-old shocked Rossoneri officials when he stated last week that he would talk with Ancelotti before deciding whether to stay at San Siro next season.

With Milan determined not to lose another one of their stars, following Kaka's move to Real Madrid, it seems that Pato has been persuaded to stick it out in Serie A.

The Brazil international insists that he will now respect his contract and try and help Milan win some long awaited silverware.

"I am happy to stay at Milan," he said after he had come off the bench to help Brazil to a 4-3 win over Egypt in the Confederations Cup in South Africa on Monday.

"I do not care what they say and I have a contract with Milan that I will respect.

"I want to win everything with Milan."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Carvalho seeks Blues exit
Chelsea defender unhappy with how he was treated while injured

Ricardo Carvalho believes his Chelsea career has come to an end after he accused the club of neglecting him when he was out injured last season.

The 31-year-old has recently been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge with Inter Milan expressing an interest.

Nerazzurri manager Jose Mourinho is keen to renew acquaintances with the Portuguese defender having worked together at both Porto and Chelsea.

Carvalho endured a frustrating campaign last time out thanks to a succession of injuries and the experience has dampened what has been a fruitful five years at the club in terms of trophies.

"I've been at Chelsea for five years, and four of them were very good, but this last season I spent a lot of time out injured," he told Daily Star.

"This last year I was injured a lot. I wasn't happy and Chelsea can't have been happy with my contribution.
No support

"Furthermore, when I was injured the club should have given me more support. They should have helped me more, especially given my past four years at Chelsea.

"Their attitude disappointed me a little. I believe my time at Chelsea has come to an end and I'm very happy a big club like Inter are interested in me. It's a new challenge and I'd like to play in Italy."

Carvalho admits that the biggest attraction of joining the Italian champions would be to link up with former boss Mourinho.

"Mourinho's a coach who knows me better than anybody," he added. "Together we won big trophies.

"He's an ambitious coach and a perfectionist. Let's see if the clubs can reach an agreement. I'd love to work with Jose Mourinho again."