1.5 or 1.8m dish in Sweden

smasher2

Registered
I'm living near Gothenburg, Sweden. I've recently lost most of mu UK free-view channels on Astra 2A (with my 110cm dish), when this was replaced by Astra 2E, at the beginning of Feb. this year.

My questions are:

Will i receive ALL channels and more importantly, AT ALL times of the day, if i get a larger 1.5m dish, of will i have to get an even bigger 1.8m dish?

And can a 1.5m dish be fixed to a house wall, or must it go down on the ground, with cemented base etc?

Hope someone can help!

thanks

Lmkiu

Registered
I would say, you will need a larger dis h as UK FTA are now transmitted from Astra 2F, which has a very narrow footprint, see below.

Code:
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprints/Astra-2F-UK.html

csell

Registered
Hi Lmkiu.

There is beams, but all beams also have sidelobes. And Astra 2E/F has a sidelobe from eastern Denmark over the eastcost of Sweden and up to south Norway. I expect Smasher2 is located in a area covered by this sidelobe.

Regards Carsten.

smasher2

Registered
ok, thanks for your help guys... may just have to get the larger one then, to be sure.

cheers!

Lmkiu

Registered
Hi Lmkiu.

There is beams, but all beams also have sidelobes. And Astra 2E/F has a sidelobe from eastern Denmark over the eastcost of Sweden and up to south Norway. I expect Smasher2 is located in a area covered by this sidelobe.

Regards Carsten.

You are correct, also, fringe reception is always possible with a larger dish.

ok, thanks for your help guys... may just have to get the larger one then, to be sure.

cheers!

Have a look below for dish sizes and reception feedback for your location.

EXPRIMENTAL_2F_footprint.jpg

Feedback;

Code:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=204957311454637204711.0004d784a80f5802155e2&msa=0&dg=feature

Astra 2E at 28.2° East and Astra 2F at 28.2° East reception.

Code:
http://www.astra2.org/

csell

Registered
You are correct, also, fringe reception is always possible with a larger dish.

Hi.

Yes fringe reception is possible in the FRINGE area just outside the beam.

But it is not possible, FAR outside the beam.

Interesting map, but I am sorry to tell it is WRONG and USELESS.

I know for sure that it NOT is possiable to receive Astra 2E/F at the yellow ring, even with dishes in sizes of a couple of meters. And the map show 0,8-1,0m How?

There is a sidelobe covering a part of the green ring. But there is no way you can receive 2E/F in the yellow ring.

Regards Carsten.

Lmkiu

Registered
I posted the map for reference as to dish size for Sweden, it now seems, Freesat UK etc will no longer be available to viewers outside the UK, northern France and Belgium.

I was not aware of the technological footprint focus points of of Astra 2E, until I found the following.

"As with Astra 2F, Astra 2E is likely to change seasonally, decreasing from April to September, meaning the dishes that work now, may not work then.

Broadcasting footprint

Astra 2E has three Ku-band downlink beams covering Europe and the Middle East:

The Europe beam is centred on the English Channel with maximum signal over the UK, Ireland, France, Benelux, and parts of Germany, Austria, and Spain (including a "lobe" specifically designed to serve the Canary Islands), and reception on a larger dish extending to Italy, Poland, North Africa, and the Balkans.

The UK Spot beam provides maximum signal (for 45 cm dishes) over the UK and Ireland with a sharp roll-off of signal level outside this region, in close approximation of the UK Beam of Astra 2D. This enables channels to be broadcast free-to-air but with reception effectively constrained to the British Isles, and has been the basis for the Freesat free-to-air UK platform.

The Middle East beam is centred on the Arabian peninsula and extends to Turkey and into eastern Africa, to provide for reception with 50 cm dishes.

The Ka-band footprint for satellite broadband provides full service coverage centred on central Europe and extending to France, Italy, the Balkans, the UK, and southern Sweden and Norway.

The craft is fitted with 60 Ku-band transponders."

So, unlike Nilesat @7W which has a middle east footprint and can be picked up here in the UK with a suitable dish, unfortunately, it seems the same will not apply to Astra 2E.

Last edited: