Kathrein UFS910 HD Linux STB

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Not that new I guess, been released few months ago, but I haven't heard about it so I'll put it here.

View attachment 12650 View attachment 12651

Written by sat help admin:

The Kathrein UFS-910 HD satellite receiver is available to buy now, and it's a very interesting prospect.

Not as well-featured as the long-awaited Dreambox 8000, it does however boast full DVB-S2 and MPEG-4 capability (as well as being backwardly compatible to DVB-S and MPEG-2) and have the required HDMI output connector.

It also carries the much sought-after Ethernet interface and runs a Linux based operating system.

Interestingly, it has 3 (yes, three!) USB 2.0 ports - one of which is on the front of the box.

Currently selling in Germany for around €360, its release is sure to tempt a few of those hobbyists that can't wait another minute for the DM8000. Interestingly the Kathrein UFS 901 was announced at the 2006 ANGA cable show alongside the HD Dreambox.

Lack of a hard disk, or the possibility of having one fitted at a later date, will deter many though.

Another note of caution. Strangely, the specifications only mention DiSEqC 1.0, and not the DiSEqC 1.2 required to drive a DiSEqC motor. Either something to watch out for, or a typo - we're not sure which!

Kathrein are a very well respected dish manufacturer, and have already produced a range of similar-looking DVB-S PVR's (have a look at the Kathrein UFS-821). This box could prove to be a winner across Europe at that price and with its head start in the race with the Dreambox.

Available in Black and Silver, here's a summary of the specifications:
· Reception of digital satellite TV and radio channels in the DVB-S and DVB-S2 transmission standards
· Video decoding of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4/H.264 signals
· 16-digit alphanumeric display to show the channel names and programme information
· 4,000 channel memory positions
· Kathrein-easy-use EPG with timer programming
· Common Interface for two CA modules
· HDMI output for connection to an HDTV ready TV set
· HDCP copy protection
· Optical audio output for Dolby Digital data stream (AC 3)
· YPbPr output
· Cinch sockets for AV signal (composite colour picture, stereo-audio)
· One USB 2.0 port on the front panel and two USB 2.0 ports on the back panel for software updates with a USB stick
· Multifunction setting device on the front panel
· Composite colour picture, RGB and Y/C signal output programmable on SCART socket
· Suitable for software updates (operational software and channel list separately) via satellite or USB stick (not supplied)
· Language selection for programmes broadcast in several languages
· Channel search
· Channel position sort function
· Automatic date and time setting via DVB data stream
· On-screen display (OSD) in 8 languages (D, GB, F, I, E, CZ, NL, TR)
· DiSEqCTM 1.0 control signal and SCR one-cable system control signals (as of first quarter 2007)
· LINUX based operating system
· Mains switch
· Comes with: Remote control, batteries, manual, safety notes, SCART cable & power cable

Price is 300+ €