• Discussion in the Admin room about nightly images, we dont really need or want these posting for the following reasons.

1. We all know where to get them.
    2. Never have a change log.
    3. The changes if any are not worthy of anyone upgrading there boxes on a daily basis.
    4. They clutter the forum up.

Posts will be removed.

Ferret

Magicbox MG4 HD

manufact

Registered
looks like Sunray SR4 (dm800se clone) with 800mhz CPU

OpenPLi-3.0_mg4_V1
openvix_Apollo_mg4_v1
openatv_mg4_v1
OpenPLi-4.0-mg4_v1
blackhole2.13_mg4_v1

1-150122111643S1.jpg

1-1501230SR5I8.jpg

>DVB-S2/T2/C
>800MHZ MIPS Processor
>512MB Flash/512MB DDR3
>Support 300M wifi
>YouTobe Player HBBTV
>Powerful Multimedia Features(MP3 Player,Photo Slide Show)

Main Features:
>DVB-S2/T2/C
>800MHZ MIPS Processor
>512MB Flash
>512MB DDR3
>Support 300M Wifi
>Smartcard Reader
>MPEG2/H.264 Hardware Dedoding
>10/100Mbps Ethernet Interface
>Linux OS
>Support Plug-ins
>Media Player
>Stable SMPS Integrated
>USB 2.0
>RS232
>HDMI
>Composite Video Decoder
>SPDIF For Digital Bit Stream Out
>EPG(Electronic Program Guide)
>Support Auto Matic&Manual Server Scan
>Support Multiple LNB Control (DisEqc)

Last edited:

ernestodee

Registered
From where you can download pictures?
for 800 mhz is very slow and also have changed the volume controls and channel change site.
It goes very slow.

ginopoppi

Registered
magicbox mg4 tuner sat +ditt

un saluto a tutti
un aiuto x questo decoder x il firmvare
Sunray Magicbox MG4 Twin Tuner (SAT + DTT) - Enigma 2 ringrazio:thum:

JohnHow

Registered
Revie Magicbox MG4 HD

This is a Satellite/Terrestrial TV decoder based on Linux and Enigma, and using the OpenPli system. Googling OpenPli gives reference to many other boxes with the same look and menus. I am running it on the single Eutelsat satellite at 28.2 degrees east, broadcasting about 500 free channels including BBC and ITV. I live in the south east of France so the signal is marginal, but for direct comparison I have a 10 year old Sony Bravia TV with built in satellite and terrestrial tuners and am able to switch between the box and the TV tuner for comparison.

I purchased the Magicbox from Absolutron China via Ebay, and it arrived two weeks ago. Since then I have spent many frustrating hours playing with it. The company were very helpful, firstly recommending the box over the Jynxbox, because of compatibility with European systems, and secondly, they respond quickly to Ebay messages. However, the latest reply is “read the manual”. This is funny because the manual section on plugins on page 18 says “refer to page 41” and the manual is only 24 pages long. Obviously, the rest of the manual was not included. A web download of the manual gives only an identical copy 24 pages long.

I have NOT accessed the magic box web (www.magicbox-tv.com) because this brings up dire warnings that it is an unsafe site, and I don’t want to risk it. The company should address this urgently. However, I have looked at many OpenPli pages which have been very helpful. The box seems to have been widely sold in Italy and there are many forum Magicbox postings in Italian – unfortunately I don’t read Italian.

So, I will start to list some of the problems and observations I have come across. There is however a lot that I have not yet tried, but I am running out of patience.

1) My biggest problem is that I route satellite and terrestrial TNT via a single cable with splitters/duplexers at either end. At the far end, I have a regular 80cm parabola (single LNB) and a standard roof aerial for TNT. This works well for my Sony TV tuner, but does not work for the Magicbox. The satellite connection kills the terrestrial channels completely, both for the TV TNT tuner and the Magicbox TNT tuner. I have tried several variations with RF amplifiers, capacitor isolator etc, but in all cases if the Magicbox Satellite cable is connected to the diplexer then I do not get Terrestrial. The only way to get the terrestrial back is to switch the box off with the back switch or disconnect the satellite cable. Even worse – standby or deep standby is not sufficient to recover the Terrestrial signal. I have checked the satellite cable and it appears to have voltage on it even if the Magicbox is in standby or deep standby. This contrasts with my TV, which removes its satellite voltage if the satellite tuner is not being used. I believe this is a basic fault of the Magicbox, and will almost certainly drive me to give up using it.

2) I have a small 20db line amplifier near my satellite dish. I don’t believe the Magicbox is providing a good enough power to drive this – the HD BBC channels work better without the amplifier than with it. (whereas the Sony TV satellite tuner does drive this additional amplifier for a solid signal). Without the amplifier, some signals are marginal – however the Sony TV sat tuner gives a better reception than the Magicbox Sat Tuner. This seems to me to indicate poor hardware quality or care.

3) The feature “Deep Standby” does not work. The screen indicates “going to deep standby” but it never finishes (hours later it still says going to deep standby). Voltage is always left on the satellite cable – not good for the long term life of the LNB. I tried a factory reset to check if one of my settings might have caused this fault, but I still get the same fault even after a factory reset.

4) There is a button on the remote control called “web” but this does not work in any mode.

5) The web features of the box seem very uncertain. This are not covered in the manual (or are perhaps in the missing pages), but the OpenPli web pages are very helpful. All the web features are provided by the plugins (even this info is not in the manual). The packing box indicates on the front YouTube Player HBBTV, but I have not succeeded in getting this to work. I tried a YouTube plugin download (it is not part of the predownloaded plugins) , and this indicated it needed the VLC plugin. So I downloaded the VLC plugin but got errors and no installation. I did manage to download some Eutelsat Bouquets via a plugin and this has been very helpful, but other web features have so far been a failure. I have not attempted plugins for google or email – my computer is better for these anyway. Some help or examples of HBBTV would be very welcome as this feature could be quite powerful.

6) I have tried the media player on my films, music and photos and the basic operation seems OK. However, the pre-loaded codecs are limited and new codecs (eg wmv) have to be loaded by plugin. I tried a plugin download of additional codecs but this failed, and I have not tried again.

So in summary I think I will shortly be abandoning by Magicbox. It is simply lapping up too much time, and my wife complains that things that used to work no longer work. Maybe I will leave it in place and play with it when I am bored.