New box, hdtv with twin tuner

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
View attachment 1557

LyngBox Media in collaboration with LyngSat Network and the European Space Agency, ESA, are proud to present the creation of a new generation satellite receiver – the LyngBox.

LyngBox is a unique, never seen before product that solves most common problems as experienced by satellite set top box users. It is developed to be remarkably easy to use with automatic set-up.
LyngBox is a top of the line HDTV receiver/recorder with dual DVB-S2/DVB-T tuner, as well as built-in HDD. What’s most remarkable with the LyngBox is the integration with LyngSat Network, providing automatic channel installation and updates based on the user’s location and equipment, thus providing satellite television viewers with a straightforward, complete, and continuously updated solution for all of their viewing needs.
Features

The LyngBox is a unique and easy to use product for the world wide market. It solves the most common problems experienced by users. The main features of the LyngBox include the following:

LyngBox is a receiver for HDTV

The LyngBox supports HDTV reception, from both satellite (DVB-S2) and terrestrial transmissions (DVB-T). The box has a DVB-S2 tuner to support the latest standard for satellite transmission.

LyngSat Network

The LyngBox uses a number of services from LyngSat Network, some of them specially developed for the LyngBox:
  • LyngSat provides the LyngBox with up-to-date channel and satellite information
  • LyngSat Maps automatically calculates which satellites that can be received from the users location with the available equipment
  • LyngSat Guide is an extensive TV guide covering all the world
Automatic Channel List Installation

One of the biggest problems with satellite TV is that the channel list in a conventional satellite receiver is static. It requires a lot of knowledge by the user to add new channels, so much knowledge that many viewers avoid watching the ever increasing selection of satellite TV channels.
To know if a channel is receivable with a specific type of equipment, the LyngBox can use LyngSat Network to automatically install all receivable channels.

Automatic Channel Update

A common problem is that channels seem to disappear suddenly. The reason is that TV companies want to optimize their coverage area and/or decrease their transmission costs. The viewer will think that the channel has stopped transmitting, since there is normally no tuning advice or information about the move.
With the LyngBox, all channel information is automatically updated from LyngSat Network, so the viewer is not affected when the channel moves or changes parameters.

Focus on free-to-air TV channels

The LyngBox simplifies identification, installation, and updates of the large number of Free-to-Air channels available. The integration of LyngSat Network let the user identify all channels that are possible to install with the available equipment.
Users with a motorized antenna have an additional advantage from the LyngBox. It might be possible to keep track of all channels at one satellite position, but to do it for all receivable satellite positions is almost a full-time job. Many users don't even know which satellates they can tune in to. The integration with LyngSat Maps automates this work. The channel list is ready and kept up-to-date without any effort.
You can also watch channels with conditional access by installing "pay-TV-cards" in the dual common interface slots of the LyngBox.

A global and interactive TV guide

LyngSat Guide provides the user with a global and interactive TV guide. The guide is integrated into the LyngBox, but can also be used as a standalone website.

One-Touch Recording

The integration with LyngSat Guide makes it easy to schedule recordings. Just press the recording button when browsing the TV guide to record a program. The powerful PVR also give the possiblity to edit recorded programs and to store recordings on an external DVD-recorder connected with USB2.

Control Recordings From Internet

The user can command the LyngBox to record TV programs using the webbsite LyngSat Guide, from any computer with an Internet connection.
You don´t need to be worried if you forgot to set a recording before leaving home. Just log in on the LyngSat Guide website and set new recordings

The receiver is developed with focus on quality reception and ease of use

The sensitive DVB-S2 tuner in the LyngBox can tune in to satellites other receivers can not reach.
Usability for the LyngBox is guaranteed by the intuitive user interface and the automatic channel maintenance enabled by the integration with LyngSat Network. The user can concentrate on the main objective, watching TV

Dual Tuner

Makes it possible to watch and record both terrestrial and (DVB-T) and satellite (DVB-S/S2) channels. A third tuner is possible to add as an option for simultanous watching and recording from the same source.

Photo Viewer

The LyngBox can display your photos in full HDTV resolution. It is possible to connect a digital camera to the USB-connectors and display photos, or copy the photos to the inbuilt hard disk of the LyngBox.

Each user of the LyngBox can have an own profile with separate channel lists. The channel lists for all profiles are of course kept up-to-date with the LyngSat synchronization. It is possible to protect profiles with password (parental lock).
Note: Since the LyngBox communicates with LyngSat Network on Internet, it is recommended to have an Internet connection to the LyngBox.

Technical Features
  • HDTV support (720p and 1080i)
  • Supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and MPEG-2
  • Inbuilt tuners for both satellite TV (DVB-S/DVB-S2) and terrestrial TV (DVB-T)
  • Internal slot system which makes it possible to install an additional tuner card
  • 4:3 and 16:9 TV screen format support and teletext decoding
  • Dual Common Interface slots for usage with pay-TV-channels
  • PVR functionality with inbuilt hard disk
  • Possibilities to store recordings on an external DVD-recorder connected with USB2
  • DiSEqC 1.1 and 1.2 support for controlling LNB and motorised dish
  • Remote control as standard and a wireless remote keyboard as accessories
  • Channel selection by typing the name (or the beginning of the name) of the channel on the keyboard
  • View images from a digital camera connected to the LyngBox
  • The LyngBox can store up to 50000 channels
LyngBox Special Features
  • Free access to all LyngSat Network services (LyngSat, LyngSat Guide and LyngSat Maps) with exclusivity to the LyngBox. No other receiver has access to these services
  • Always corrects channel names, not relying on service names in the DVB stream
  • Family user profiles and parental lock. Each user can have their own selection of channels based on countries, languages and genres which will be updated automatically
Interfaces
  • DVB-S2 input
  • DVB-T input + output (pass-through)
  • Expansion slot for additional tuner card
  • 2 Common Interface slots
  • HDMI-output.
  • Component output
  • Composite output
  • SCART output (RGB and composite)
  • S/PDIF optical output with AC-3 support
  • Stereo audio (2 RCA)
  • 4 USB 2.0 ports
  • Ethernet connection (100BaseT)
Hardware Specifications
  • Size (WxHxD): AxBxC cm
  • STi7100 CPU (three cores: 1x266 MHz, 2x400 MHz)
  • 96 MB System Memory
  • 160 GB Hard Disk
  • OLED front panel display
Guarantee & Warranty
  • The LyngBox has a two years limited guarantee

tux233

Registered
Interesting box until I found the following in the lyngbox.com site FAQ section:

Will it be possible to install new software in the LyngBox?
There are currently no plans to make this possible. :mecry:

Is cardsharing possible?
No! The LyngBox can only be used for legitimate purposes. :nana:

Cheers

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Interesting box until I found the following in the lyngbox.com site FAQ section:

Cheers

I don't think any serious company would claim on their site that their box is made for illegal activities. You can't see sharing mentioned on dreambox site either. As for new software, I guess if they make their platform compatible with dreambox stuff I am sure they wouldn't mind you installing some emulators on it.

basilyoung

Registered
It looks very good,...and I would be surprised if its not compatible with the DB images, and if it was,nt,...would think that that will change, although the db is the leader in the linux based recievers.......

the dream multimedia team need to have a look in the rear view mirror

baz

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
no linux i guess?

It is linux based.

Anyway, they've announced that it is gonna be available from February in Germany and Spain.

LyngBox Media AB is proud to announce that the release of the LyngBox on the German and Spanish market will take place in the beginning of February 2008. The German distributor is Visiontec from Braunschweig and in Spain the LyngBox will be distributed by Antnet Digital outside Madrid.

This is the first two countries that will start to sell the LyngBox and our plan is to open up sales in at least five additional countries during February/March 2008. We will announce the introduction plan for those countries as soon as possible.

And Cuberevo is probably gonna hit the market these days. So we could be getting some choices for HDTV linux boxes soon. Now it just remains to see what kind of support they are going to get.

mac4eye

Registered
mpeg 4.2.2

this may be a dumb question but will the chipset support 4 2 2 feeds. I am keen to get a receiver that can handle these and it seems hard to get, will it be a case of when chipset manufacturers include this option or is 4.2.2 also about to be superceeded.

satdoc

Registered
It won't do 4.2.2 and it dosn't have 36v for bigger motorised dishes.
I'm still waiting for a box that does 4.2.2 for the sports/news feeds

satdoc

Registered
Darkbox 4.2.2 not sorted yet don't even know if the hardware can handle it just have to wait Darkman says to wait a month and see.

mac4eye

Registered
tell me more please

just wondering what Qbox is and when it might be out, I really need 422 my team seem to put a lot of there home games on this format and i would love to see them. I know quali tv do it but very expensive and i cant seem to find any star sat receivers second hand Ideally a software fix or new chip set for darkbox would be brilliant but im not convinced this is going to happen soon. thanks for info everyone.

xabba

Registered
Anyone tried this box yet? Is it a good contestor to DM800? Is there any OS modification out for it? Any cams?

Thanks

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Anyone tried this box yet? Is it a good contestor to DM800? Is there any OS modification out for it? Any cams?

Thanks

It is no to all your questions. There is only official firmware, and so far no support other then from lyngbox.

satesco

Feed Hunter
rocknroll said:
I don't think any serious company would claim on their site that their box is made for illegal activities. You can't see sharing mentioned on dreambox site either. As for new software, I guess if they make their platform compatible with dreambox stuff I am sure they wouldn't mind you installing some emulators on it.

You are right,no receiver producer will tell what his product is able to do.Being un open source receiver tell everything about this hopeful receiver.