Streaming mpeg 4:2:2

astrodog66

Registered
I am trying to stream recordings of mpeg 4:2:2 video from a usb hard drive attached to vu+ uno 4k.

The idea is to stream them via vlc to watch them on tv. I am able to stream mpeg 4:2:0 recordings easily enough, but only get audio and a blank screen for the mpeg 4:2:2 recordings.

Are there any settings in vlc I have overlooked?

At the moment the maximum transfer speed is about 11mb\sec. I suspect this is not sufficient for mpeg 4:2:2 files which have a high bit rate. Currently I am using a tp link router rated at 300mbs. Do I need to get a gigabit ethernet router which should increase the transfer speed to at least 50 mb/sec?

Thanks for looking. If I have missed any information please let me know.

astrodog66

Registered
Just in case anyone else has the same problem, I managed to sort out the ptoblem. I did not need a gigabit router, the 300mb router is able to stream mpeg 4:2:2.

I checked the vlc log which reported a libdvbpsi error. It was quite easy to find a solution online which involved changing a couple of settings in vlc.

Now it is easy to stream via webif.

Youknowme02

Registered
Just in case anyone else has the same problem, I managed to sort out the ptoblem. I did not need a gigabit router, the 300mb router is able to stream mpeg 4:2:2.

I checked the vlc log which reported a libdvbpsi error. It was quite easy to find a solution online which involved changing a couple of settings in vlc.

Now it is easy to stream via webif.

Please explain more because I want to do the same thing??

astrodog66

Registered
Please explain more because I want to do the same thing??

Hello there

The first thing to point out is that I was referring to streaming recordings off a hard drive rather than stream a broadcast in real time. I have not yet tried to do that but will have a go when I get the time.

Assuming that you have already connected your linux receiver to your pc, try the following:

Download Dreambox Control Centre v2.95. It should be in the dreambox file section. If you run that you will see a Web-if logo in the top right hand corner. Click that logo and you open web-if.

On the left you will see the main menu. Click the menu bar and you should see further options appear underneath (Television, Radio, Movies, Timers, Web TV). Click 'Movies' and you should see a list of recordings appear. This may take a few seconds.

Next to each recording is a set of icons - arranged in two rows of three. Click on Stream: instant record. It is the large screen icon in the middle of the upper row.

You should see a message appear: 'Do you want to open or save ts.m3u from (your receiver's ipaddress)?

Click 'Open'. You should see the message 'Running security scan' followed by 'The ts.m3u download has completed'. Then click 'Open', then 'Open with'. Select Vlc media player (I presume you already have that installed with the correct codecs).

Click OK and your recording should start to play via vlc.

If anything is not clear please let me know. I am no expert in this, there are others here with a lot more knowledge and experience, but the method I have outlined above is straightforward and works well.

astrodog66

Registered
A follow up on the previous message to confirm how to stream mpeg 4:2:2:

Select the channel you want to watch on your linux receiver.

Open dreambox control centre v2.95.

Click on the web-if icon in dreambox control centre to open web-if.

In the top left of the web-if interface you should see the name of the channel you want to watch. To the left of the channel name are a couple of icons - click on the one furthest left which is the command to stream the channel.

At the bottom of the screen you will see a message asking if you want to open or save stream.m3u from the ip address of your receiver.

Click 'Open'.

The software runs a security scan which may last a few seconds. When the scan is complete you get a message 'the stream.m3u download has completed'.

Click on 'Open' and vlc will open to display the feed.

First time around you may have to choose 'Open with' to select vlc to play the streams.

If you read the previous message you will notice the process is very similar to streaming recordings from a hard drive.

Hope that is of some help.

Last edited: