Mpeg 4:2:2 playback and other questions

astrodog66

Registered
I am thinking of getting a solo 4k or an uno 4k. I have a few questions though and I wonder if anyone can help answer them?

1) I know the vu+ boxes do not display mpeg 4:2:2 feeds. But can you record an mpeg 4:2:2 feed as a ts file and then play it back through videolan? You can do this with certain receivers such as Icecrypt and Octagon. Can anyone also confirm this is also the case with vu+ boxes?

2) With the vu+ solo you can only record to an external usb drive, you do not have the option to fit an internal drive as you can with the solo or ultimo. Does an external drive perform just as well as an internal drive, or is there a drop off in performance, such as the number of channels that can be recorded simultaneously?

3) Looking at the specs of the solo and the uno, they look similar. Except that the uno has the 3.5 inch screen and the option to install an internal drive. Also you can fit two more dvb-s2 tuners, but these are not the fbc tuners which are the main attraction of these receivers.

If these are not important then surely there is not much point in spending more money. Are there any other reasons to pick the uno over the solo?

Thanks for looking. Any guidance, especially on question 1 would be appreciated.

astrodog66

Registered
Apparently recording to an external usb drive uses more system resources, so that answers questions 2 and 3.

But has anyone successfully played back a mpeg 4:2:2 recording via videolan?

I suspect you can do this, but it would be nice if someone could confirm?

astrodog66

Registered
After using the solo 4k for a couple of weeks I can confirm that mpeg 4:2:2 recordings will play back correctly in vlc.

Apparently it is better to use a powered desktop usb hard drive as it puts less strain on the receiver when recording several channels simultaneously.

It is a very nice receiver, though I can't say I am a fan of the enigma2 operating system.

Last edited:

kedarz

Registered
You can play directly 4:2:2 feeds via streaming. You do not need recordings. If you have a tvbox with android you can play this stream in bsplayer or mxplayer. I have tested this option with my old AzboxHD and smartphone but the transfer was too poor to play smoothly.

astrodog66

Registered
Hello there

Just to clarify -I am really thinking of days when there are several champions league matches or world cup qualiers. Then I record games to watch later. If I need to watch mpeg 4:2:2 broadcasts live I use a dvb-s2 card.

Thanks for the information about streaming. This is useful.

kedarz

Registered
If your tv-set has a miracast you can try this way. Stream from box to the smartphone and display this via miracast. Ithink it will be possible but not smoothly ;-/ I can not test this way because i do not have a tv-set with miracast. Just try and tell us about the results.