Holes on dish

xewonder

Registered
Good day all,

Just had this grat idea of buying a 1m dish with motor.

All worked well at first... untill we got some high winds!:eek:

The dish is not mesh so the wind cought it in full... had to re-allign the whole thing again...:mad:

i stay in the west of scotland and we have this gales quite often (should have thought about it before).

my question is:

can i drill a few holes on my dish?
will it make any difference to the wind?
will it make any difference to reception?

Thanks

DD

xewonder

Registered
today we had bloody gusts of 70mph wind... the whole thing is screwed up again.

so can i drill holes or not?

please help!

DD

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
It depends on where you drill them on dish I guess. You can interfere with the reception if you drill them in a wrong place.
Not sure if it would help you much against the wind though. Can't you move it somewhere where it wouldn't be so exposed to the wind.
Maybe do something like this :)

144-4448_IMG.JPG

xewonder

Registered
Thanks,

Unfortunatly the whole house is exposed....

would a mesh dish help or would I just waste money?

adewale

Registered
respnd

Thanks,

Unfortunatly the whole house is exposed....

would a mesh dish help or would I just waste money?

For mesh dish,it has a good signal quality for C band while iron cast type has good sig quality for both especially KU lnb.

xewonder

Registered
Thank you...

anyway....

came home tonight and dish was totally screwed up... not 1 sat online...i really can do without going on ladders every time there is bad weather... will check what sat'ss are of interest to me...in any case, I don't see other people around me (with stupid 40 cm mesh sky dishes) on ladders all the time...

thanks for advice.

DD

CellZapper

Registered
Dig a hole

Hi

You mentioned a ladder....:eek: The dish does not have to be up in the air like a standard TV aerial....it could be in a hole in the ground SO LONG AS IT CAN SEE the satelite from its position.

I am joking about a hole :), but you could tuck the dish out of site on the ground somewhere.

Imagine shining an ark light (spotlight) at the satelite you only just need clearance for the beam to shine on the satellite.

Remember when looking where the (imaginary) light beam from your satellite dish points into the sky that offset dishes don't point at the satellite (they point almost horizontally), in this case imagine the LNB is the light source, the light reflecting off the dish at an angle up into the heavens.

Unlike prime focus dishes that point directly at the satellite.

My 1 metre solid dish is 300mm of the ground behind the garage, next to the garden wall, and protected from the other direction by a big shed. I am able to get 45E/W degrees from this postion, with clear view of the satellites over my shed and my neighbours roof tops.

I live in the fens and the winds here are bad all year around (not as bad as Scotland in an exposed position, but still troublesome).

Hope this helps someone.