Donation Option Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Well I've tried to avoid it for almost 3 years now since we've been up. But we've been growing and growing fast.
You can look up the prices of dedicated servers and the net and to see what they cost. And those prices are in most cases for just hardware, don't include some required software and support services.

We are already on a pretty decent dedicated server.
As of recently our server has been pretty much constantly under small scale attack and occasionally under larger scale attacks. I've done what I could to restrain them and we are ok most of the time, only occasional server too busy when there is too much overload.
If attacks keep up or become stronger we might end up needing a hardware firewall or to hire some outside help, that means higher costs again. Hope it won't come to that though.

But regardless of current attacks more members we attract better server we need as traffic and load increase.

So if you find this site helpful, got money to spare and would like to help out you are welcome to donate :)

As for benefits of donating can't provide you with anything special but you'll be transferred to Donating Member user group and you'll have some higher limits like more PMs allowed to be stored, more images to be uploaded to our image hosting system, higher daily attachment download limit, access to Vip forum.

It is gonna take few days before donation is confirmed and you are transferred to donating member group.

Btw, donations will probably expire after few months, period will depend on the amount. Haven't really set any figures yet and I might not have time to revise those donations but just want to note that in case it does happen.

EDIT, ok let's add some figures for now, if you got any objections we can discuss them and possibly change.

5 EUR donation, expires in 2 months.
10 to 20 EUR donation expires in 3 to 5 months.
20+EUR expires in 5 or more months depending on amount.
Any amounts in between will be considered as next higher value as custom amounts can be used as well as those listed.

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Just to update you on donations.

Members that have donated so far:

phoenix8027
ThE MaStEr
vitorrsantos
xmen
francesco
jpblog
jocky20010
tekyfreak
djdiageo
biopob
csp164
rdn9250
julius111
geirare
mhoullier
dreamer01
calhau
orzef
ruxx
poblypaulb
Toml82
Pimsat
orosimo

First donation in order they are listed above was 17.4.2009, last one 22.5.2009.
Thank you all for helping out.

I've ordered a new server with a different company to which will be moving pretty soon.
It is always a gamble when moving to new company in terms of their network, hardware, support but I've tried to find one which got some good review by other webmasters. And I had to pick amongst those that have hardware firewall optional.
We'll try to start with just better CPU(core2quad instead of core2duo we are using now) without hardware firewall. And if there is any bigger issues caused by some kind of attacks we'll give it a go with hardware firewall.

First 5 members that donated will be rewarded by their donating member status never expiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.