Dish Motor

Adam1

Registered
Is the Superior Dark Metal Gear Motor better than any other motor?

If so, how is it better than any other motor?

It's just that I want to buy 1 of the following dish packs:-

Edit: No such links allowed

Which is better and why???

Cheers

TranzSatGirl

Registered
Dark Motor

I've installed six Dark Motors for customers and two failed within months.

On the other hand, all the Technomate (metal & non-metal gear) motors I've installed (well over 50) are all still working.

Adam1

Registered
I've installed six Dark Motors for customers and two failed within months.

On the other hand, all the Technomate (metal & non-metal gear) motors I've installed (well over 50) are all still working.

What's the difference between metal and non metal gear motor?

TranzSatGirl

Registered
H-H motor

No real difference noted in performance. Simply that I've not had a Technomate break down. Both corrode (rust) at about the same rate though!

BTW, I suggest a drilled (12mm thick)alloy plate to fit onto the back U 4 bolts, and if you ground mount drill a centre hole with a 10mm locking bolt & nuts right into the pole. That way the lousy & flimsy U bolts (on both Dark & Technomate) won't shift in any high wind.
:thum:

Last edited:

Adam1

Registered
No real difference noted in performance. Simply that I've not had a Technomate break down. Both corrode (rust) at about the same rate though!

BTW, I suggest a drilled (12mm thick)alloy plate to fit onto the back U 4 bolts, and if you ground mount drill a centre hole with a 10mm locking bolt & nuts right into the pole. That way the lousy & flimsy U bolts (on both Dark & Technomate) won't shift in any high wind.
:thum:

What latitude and longitude settings do I put in my receiver?

Do I just go to 'dishpointer' site and use those settings??

GrumpyDave

Registered
Dish Motor.

What's the difference between metal and non metal gear motor?

Adam 1, Just thought you might like to see this.I posted this elsewhere last month. Result-mixed,although metal gears do seem to be the flavour of the month.Have you read about the latest model on the market,Supreme intelligent Dark Motor?

I am still considering my options on my next purchase.

DiSEqC Motors-Steel or Plastic Gears.

I am about to change my Stab motor to a Technomate 2600 due to excessive backlash. Came across this article which really opened m eyes.Any body any comments and findings please,before I make another mistake.

Do you really think no one ever thought of using a steel gear before? While at first the steel gear may seem stronger than the plastic gear. Read on, you might be surprised at what you find out.

DiSEqC motors originally had steel gears. But manufactures soon learned that steel gearing would not last for several reasons. Motors with steel main gears are cheaper to make and still sold in countries where price is just about the only consideration. In areas where a reasonable warranty period is expected, you will only find plastic gears
"Plastic" is really a poor term for the main gears used in most modern motors. The material is actually a high tech engineering nylon. For this application it's stronger than steel and will last much longer than steel.
Plastic gears have a bit of give reguired to absorb the shock of starting and stopping and from wind resistance
Plastic gears wear less Garage door openers in daily use, use plastic gearing.
Plastic gear teeth stop at the end of the travel range.Steel gears have teeth all around and provide no mechanical stop.
Backlash adjustement-steel requires this more often due to its high wear factor.
Check the motors on the market. You'll find that one Italian manufacturer uses a steel gear and they use a elaborate spring system to try to absorb the start stop shock. They still suffer from backlash problems that develop shortly after putting their motors in service part of which is caused by the high wear factor even though they use hardened teeth in their gears.

So don't be so quick to believe "new and improved" when it's actually very old, outdated, and rarely used. If it worked well, every manufacture would be doing it because it is cheaper.
Hope you find this of interest and you make the right choice.