scaffolding pole support

aerosmith

Registered
My dish is mounted on a steel scaffolding pole (16ft). About 6 inches of the pole are in the ground to take the weight and the pole is attatched to the side of the garage with t and ks (bolted from inside to outside). I've had it like this for 8 years now with the only problem being pole/dish wobble in strong winds as 7ft of the pole is not supported as being above the garage roof. Please note that this is the only logical place to install a motorised system where I can access it for any servicing etc and also receive from 57 degrees east to 45 degrees west. My idea is to fit a scaffolding swivel coupler 5ft or so up the scaffolding pole above the garage then attatch another small pole to the other side of the swivel coupler which will be brought down at a 45 degree angle and the end of this bolted to the side of the garage. Just need to know any thoughts whether this will be efficient enough to minimise the pole /dish wobble I get in strongish winds. I am not a mechanical engineer of any sorts (electronics instead). Thanks for any ideas /opinions given.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I would think this option would work as long as when doing it you made sure the angles were still correct. It is an option I am considering as I am in a similar position to you and I find that a scaffolding pole does indeed wobble.

I would imagine though that in very strong winds there would still be some wobble but much less.

Another option would be a larger diameter steel pole. That would wobble much less, if at all.

percivjr

Registered
Without a plan of your garage, it's difficult to comment.

I have a couple of large TV aerials fitted at each gable end of the house on 20ft aluminium scaffold poles on stand-off brackets. They are guyed using steel wires attached towards the top of the pole using a 3-way guy clamp, see attached picture. 4-way versions of the clamp are also available.

One of the three guy wires attaches to studding through the ridge tile secured to a pole in the loft fixed horizontally to several roof trusses.

For one of the aerials, the other two guy wires attach at the top of the garage wall to stand-off brackets to clear the gutter.

For the other aerial, the other two guy wires attach to brackets on concrete fence posts.

I would suggest that if your layout permits, 3 or 4 guys would be better than a single one.

aerosmith

Registered
I see what you mean about having a multi one but in general around here we get strong west to south westerly winds so its really to conteract these a little. It's really to keep the weaker signals more stable and also just to stop me worrying when we have very strong gusts. Though so far nothing bad has happened. I do expect it to still wobble but hopefully not as much. Thanks for both replys.

RimaNTSS

Registered
TBH, it is difficult to visualize all this without pictures. Couple of pictures of existing installation might be enough.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Ahhh replied to your install pics. The pole supports should be at 3 sides minimum in my opinion.

aerosmith

Registered
Ahhh replied to your install pics. The pole supports should be at 3 sides minimum in my opinion.

Problem is only one direction of support to the left of the pole. Its mounted on the right most side of the garage. Any further to the left then I lose sats from 10 degrees east to 45degrees west. Confused, my house is south to southweat.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Problem is only one direction of support to the left of the pole. Its mounted on the right most side of the garage. Any further to the left then I lose sats from 10 degrees east to 45degrees west. Confused, my house is south to southweat.

Get ya go with 2 then mate towards the front corners of the garage at both sides.