lnb central positioning

aerosmith

Registered
How critical is the the lnb to point in the centre of an offset dish or isn.t it directly set to be pointing in the centre of the dish vertically wise. Any affect on signal if incorrectly positioned for wbhatever reason?

william-1

Feed Hunter
That all depends on the dish elevation on the 100cm Gibertini I find that just below center of the dish gives the best signals whereas the 88cm mesh dish is dead central.

My 88cm dish is almost vertical @ 1 west but the Gibertini is
elevated aiming at the sky by about 10 degrees higher than the 88cm.

aerosmith

Registered
Reason being as I got that freeby I reconditioned but only had part of the lnb holder remaining. So I've managed to mod another holder. Ive had with good results just wondering if I could better it slightly as not quite centralised (slightly below center of dish vertically). Something I've never looked at before.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Getting the focal length and position spot is always going to get the best out of the dish.

As your lnb holder is not a matched one specific to your dish why not have a play around with the positioning and see if signal improves.

aerosmith

Registered
Going to give it atry later on today. Not easy to explain this one but the holder I've put on the arm I've bolted at the top of the arm. So therefor one idea is to put small springs underneath the holder where the bolts I've put on go through so adjusting the each bolt individually will make the holder position itself either more to the center or downwards or upwards if you can follow what I mean. A long shot but nothing to lose!

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
That sounds like a good setup for adjusting it im impressed.

aerosmith

Registered
idea hasd been a little successful.Signal on IMG 3eu up to 69 max varying between 64-69. Hard to say exactly cause of slight annoying wind. Fiddly though to achieve. Probably the sig will dissapear when a match is on!

RimaNTSS

Registered
TBH it is not easy to visualize all this. But, firstly, LNB on the offset dish should be pointed lower than center of the dish. Secondly, leaning of the dish is dependent on chosen satellite and offset angle of the dish. And, finally, best LNB-holder is that one which can be adjusted in all dimensions, something like this one (IMHO)

aerosmith

Registered
To be honest I've seen so many peoples different opinions on exact positioning ie centre or very slightly below centre etc I've have just gone for a trial and error basis to acheive best sig results. All my installed sats have seen a sig increase so I'm quite happy (some alot more than others).

aerosmith

Registered
Now got the signal up to 79% quality on IMG3 EU by slight alteration of the lnb holder height using compression springs. Will go down though to around 65% in the rain but definitely a great improvement.