JONES RECOVERS TO KNOCK OUT HIGGINS

sarahmic

Sports fan
Super VIP
JONES RECOVERS TO KNOCK OUT HIGGINS

Jamie Jones claimed the biggest win of his career as the Welshman knocked John Higgins out of the Betfair PTC Grand Finals.

The unheralded 24-year-old Neath potter was 3-1 down to Higgins in Galway but turned the match around to triumph 4-3 and send the reigning world champion home after just one match.

Higgins took a tight opening frame and added breaks of 123 and 67 as he moved to just one frame away from victory, but Jones dug deep to draw level.

He then took full advantage of a poor safety from Higgins early in the deciding frame, when the Scot left him an easy red, and stayed composed to build a match-clinching break.

World number 41 Jones said at his press conference: "I really wasn't expecting it to be honest.

"To get a win over him is fantastic. I don't think he played that well but he's a four-time world champion so you've got to play well to beat him no matter how well he plays.

"He never really seemed to get any rhythm. He just seemed a bit flat."

Jones will tackle Widnes cueman Andrew Higginson in the last 16 on Friday, and told Eurosport: "If I can beat John Higgins I'm sure I can beat anyone."

He is joined in the second round by China's Ding Junhui who fired breaks of 123 and 105 in a 4-2 win over Ben Woollaston which set up a mouthwatering tussle with world number one Mark Selby.