time sheft of
no recording
Why ?

TerD

Registered
Jak2

Is the HDD menu visible ?
If so perhaps you may need to
format the disk.sif images have their own format protocol.

Are you saying it worked yesterday but doesn't today?

If the HDD setup section is active, don't forget there are three Options for time shift, the first, recording is on and you don't even know it. The second gives a bar across the bottom of the sceen which disappears after several seconds,
the third , i think, leaves a menu bar across the bottom of the screen.

If nothing is working (no HDD settings access in systems menu) then you may have the same problem I had, Sata2 disk on Sata1 iBox. My solution was a jumper across pins 5/6.

I did have to reflash sif r8340 before mine worked.

Note: I'm a newbie so only giving you my experience from last weekend. I'm sure there are more technically qualified forum visitors to correct my assumptions, if needed.

TerD

mirg

Registered
Here is what I have installed:
Seagate - 500GB Barracuda ES SATA-II
We are talking about a internal HDD!
Best:)

satpat2

Registered
Ipbox 900hd

hey guys, i have an ipbox 900hd so i am asking how you install a HDD inside this, any pics would help and is it possible, instead of an external HDD, i was gonna buy a samsung 500gb which has been recommended by another member in this post

k2k2000

Registered
HDD inside 900hd ! possible but not preferable.

go for
samsung500gb+ esata Hard Disk Enclosure

tanil

Registered
Hello, I recommend you to use 2,5 inch notebook hdd with an adapter to fit 3,5 icnh place in HDBOX. This way you can switch off the stupid fan and there will not be high tempereture problem because notebook disks have less heat generation and less power consumption. Regards...

TerD

Registered
Hi SatPat:

Note that I had already installed the latest sifteam image that I was happy with before I even got this far!

I looked at an external HDD first through USB.Dropped it for an internal Samsung 500g which is now working fine.

I was spooked by previous reports of fan noise and heat, but frankly I don't have these issues. iP Box is really quiet, but I have version2(release2).

I guess you have a manual with your new iPBOX. It says that it only supports Sata1.

1. Before you buy your Samsung ask if it's Sata1 or 2. Probably Sata2.Ask your dealer if there's a jumper pin in the box as well as the 4 mounting screws. The jumper pin is to make your Samsun backwards compatible with Sata1. When I opened the plastic around my Samsung I almost threw away the 4 screws and didn't find a jumper pin.
(Note I see that another member used the software patch on the Samsung site to re-fix his Samsung on Sata1).Samsung explains this well in the manual.

Only when you're happy with the HDD and the fact that you can make this Sata1 change, unpack the HDD and prepare it for insertion into the iPBOX.

Put the iPBOX on the table (power cable OUT!!) in front of you and take a Philips screwdriver. (see pics in manual, it's no big deal). Take out the two screws on each side and the 3 at the back.

Pull off the top. Inside you'll see 2 black plastic rails onto which you need to screw the HDD. One rail on each side of the HDD.THis is where you need the screws from the Samsung. By looking at the components inside the ipBox you can judge the best position ( check the photos in your manual).

Once you have the HDD on the plastic rails it's no big deal to slip it in.

There are two loose cable connectors in the Box. One for the HDD power and the other for the Sata interface.How they fit in is a no brainer, both cables only go in one way and the power cable is twice as large as the Sata one.

Careful with the power cable as it passes a heat sink on the right of the box ( your working from the rear, right).

The Sata cable needs looping so that one the HDD on the rails is inside the box it doesn't prevent it from sitting comfortably at the correct level. Check the pics in the manual.The HDD on rails is not actually screwed down but on the lid there are two strips that press it into place.

So far so good?

In fact I left the lid off and once all was in place, put in the power cable, connected the SCART and heard the HDD kick in.

Then I opened the menu, saw that the HDD part was no longer grayed out and saw that I could make the necessary adjustments ( not even sure I needed to do this).

I then rushed off and opened a bottle of champagne as it had been 2 weeks before I got this far.

Put the lid back on when the HDD looks as though it's OK with the system.

Your next challenge is to fathom exactly how it works. If your in recorded files ( envelope on remote control) there a botton that you press ( green I think) that gives HDD status.

If you reach this stage, you're lucky. Treat yourself to a beer.

Best

TerD

satpat2

Registered
ok from what i have read yes a 2.5 might be the answer but how can i fit it as there is not really any brackets to hold it in place ?

satpat2

Registered
excellent post, thanks guys, i will update when i have purchased a hdd and installed it, do i need to do anything else to record ?

satpat2

Registered
ok i have had a look but i am swamped with loads of different model numbers, any model numbers will be a great help and any pics of a hdd install would be mostly appreciated, thank you

satpat2

Registered
ok so the only option is to buy a sata or esata, whats the difference and whats recommended and make sure it's backwards compatible, does it have to be sata 1 ?

k2k2000

Registered
esata = external sata
any enclosure with esata will work,when you have compatible hdd like samsung.

TerD

Registered
SatPat2

On the Samsung500G I bought it just said Sata.But I'm sure a Seagate is just as valid.

2.5 inch: I thought this sounded good, but I don't know what the physical size is. As the IPBOX is designed for 3.5", didn't see the need to experiment.

NOte there was also an early post about the 'tight fit' of an external HDD. I found it relatively easy to install.Apart from the power cable proximity to a heat sink and the fact that you have to make a bend in the Sata cable it's really no big deal.

For photos, just use the ones in the manual. If you don't have a manual, search on the web and you will find it easily

TerD

satpat2

Registered
where can i purchase a esata hdd as i have looked at loads of sites but can't tell if it's going to work with the ipbox 900hd and if it's sata 1, also can i use the usb port to power up the hdd if needed