crossepg for enigma2?

Its a pitty there are no servers for uk cable providers would be nice to have 7day epg on cable
If anyone knows any other way to get 7day or more on uk cable let me know

Palinkat

Registered
Are you supposed to copy the epg.dat file into the CrossEPG folder and then what to do next?
In CrossEPG, you can import or load data.
Does the epg.dat need to be renamed to ext.epg.dat?

Thanks a lot

Bacardi

Registered
I got crossepg to work last night, i had severn days in the epg great. Today i get up and i have nothing, so i run the plugin again and get nothing. I rebooted and it just kept green screen on me. I had to load e2 again to overcome the problem. This is the second time this plugin has caused me to reload E2. Anyone have a idea what might be causing the crash?

Palinkat

Registered
Could be many reasons :(
Was crashing for me a lot during the parsing and I found out that if I don't select any satelite, run it, then go back into it, select the sats I need and run it again, it works fine.

Bacardi

Registered
I have selected sky uk for my sat. When it crashes and green screens i have to reload E2, as it will not boot up without ending up at the green screen

Palinkat

Registered
Hey Bacardi,

As I suggested, do not select any satellite and run crossepg. It will run for a second and create empty dbs.
Next add Astra2 28.2 and run it again.
It should go through the entire process and will reboot the GUI at the end, this is normal.
What image do you have?

Bacardi

Registered
I have the latest PKT image, i did run cross epg first with not sats. I then enable sly and it did download, and populate the epg. However the next morning it was all blank, download did nothing. Rebooting just made the system crash, and i had to reload e2

Palinkat

Registered
Hey Bacardi,

I installed Iscan Mod 807 this morning, couldn't get PKT to work :(.
CrossEPG worked like a charm first thing on it, it was very dodgy on AAF before that. Plus this image is much more stable generally for me.
Sorry I can't help you more than that.

compufunk

Registered
Are you supposed to copy the epg.dat file into the CrossEPG folder and then what to do next?
In CrossEPG, you can import or load data.
Does the epg.dat need to be renamed to ext.epg.dat?

Thanks a lot
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in answering.

With some images, I had problems downloading the EPG data directly from the Hip Hop transponder, so I do this instead.

Here is how I do it......

1: Download the file .....
Code:
wget http://hqsatellite.com/satmate/skyuk_epg.dat.gz -O /hdd/epg.dat.gz
Obviously, use a different link if you want a different provider.

2: Decompress it.....
Code:
gunzip /hdd/epg.dat.gz

3: Copy the contents of the file to the external EPG file that cross EPG uses.....
Code:
cat /hdd/epg.dat > /hdd/crossepg/ext.epg.dat
(I cant remember if ext.epg.datis the correct file name. I'll check when I'm home.)

4: Remove the /hdd/epg.dat file so that its not in your way next time you do this....
Code:
rm /hdd/epg.dat

5: Restart enigma.......
Code:
killall enigma2

All of the above assumes that you have installed and configured Crossepg correctly. Also, the paths might be slightly different if you dont have a HDD.

I tested on a few of the Tideglo based E2 images, SifTeam , PKT, AFF Summer Dream. It worked flawlessly on all of them. I have yet to test it out on the DGS based images.

I've written a little script to do all of the above automagically. This is handy if you'd prefer not to have to kill enigma while you are not watching TV. Just schedule it to happen during the night.

Last edited:

lukesan

Registered
Hi Compufunk and other enthousiasts,

I know there are alot of people who would benefit of having a nice and functional EPG. To me a sat receiver with a hd is almost useless without a fully functional one.
Here in Holland and Belgium they use media highway EPG which is absolutely ... and non-functional on 95% of the receivers.

This CrossEPG would be the absolute perfect outcome for Linux receivers. A lot of people would be gratefull for a simple and working solution.

So far for small talk.

I have 0 experience in linux so I am looking for some help.
Compufunk's thing works perfectly when I telnet the IPbox but it shouldn't be seen as a definitive outcome for the future (I hope)
It shouldn't be that hard to create a script file so everytime you boot it will get a new EPG file for the week.

I created a file called getEPG.sh
which I created with a txt editor

#!/bin/sh

wget http://www.rytec.be/epg/benluk/epg.dat.gz -O /hdd/epg.dat.gz
gunzip /hdd/epg.dat.gz
rm /hdd/epg.dat

# end

I placed it in the folder /var/bin and created a link to that file in /usr/script/getEPG.sh ... but unfortunately it doesn't work.
Is there any good fellow which could help us out on this?

carrpet

Registered
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in answering.

With some images, I had problems downloading the EPG data directly from the Hip Hop transponder, so I do this instead.

Here is how I do it......

1: Download the file .....
Code:
wget http://hqsatellite.com/satmate/skyuk_epg.dat.gz -O /hdd/epg.dat.gz
Obviously, use a different link if you want a different provider.

2: Decompress it.....
Code:
gunzip /hdd/epg.dat.gz

3: Copy the contents of the file to the external EPG file that cross EPG uses.....
Code:
(I cant remember if ext.epg.datis the correct file name. I'll check when I'm home.)

4: Remove the /hdd/epg.dat file so that its not in your way next time you do this....
Code:
rm /hdd/epg.dat

5: Restart enigma.......
Code:
killall enigma2

All of the above assumes that you have installed and configured Crossepg correctly. Also, the paths might be slightly different if you dont have a HDD.

I tested on a few of the Tideglo based E2 images, SifTeam , PKT, AFF Summer Dream. It worked flawlessly on all of them. I have yet to test it out on the DGS based images.

I've written a little script to do all of the above automagically. This is handy if you'd prefer not to have to kill enigma while you are not watching TV. Just schedule it to happen during the night.

Great work. Is it possible you could share your script with us ?

lukesan

Registered
Great work. Is it possible you could share your script with us ?

Hey Carrpet and others,

I've been looking into scripts with a good friend.
I think am I close to a solution but need some help and testing we can make it work .... the easy way!

I'll try to copy/paste to make into a complete posting so you don't have to browse thru pages and threads.

1) Install CrossEPG
--------------------

- download this file and FTP it to tmp folder http://www.crossepg.com/downloads -->sh4 file (at the moment crossepg-enigma2_0.3.2-svn-33_sh4.ipk)

- open putty or other telnet programme (I used DCC)
login and at the curser put
cd /tmp
next line put
ipkg install crossepg-enigma2_0.3.2-svn-33_sh4.ipk
i had to do that twice for some reason for it to install
reboot GUI
then FTP to the file /etc/init.d/rcS ...right click and choose edit
and before the line
/usr/local/bin/enigma2
add this line
/var/crossepg/crossepg_epgmove.sh

Example:

echo "starting e2->"
/var/crossepg/crossepg_epgmove.sh
/usr/local/bin/enigma2

reboot gui again
now on menu button on remote go to setup, you will see new option " crossepg"
set up which sats you want in your EPG and other settings
now run crossepg programme in plugins
Thanks again palin as i only managed to get this working before in Iscanmod images and DGS based ones.

----------------------------------------

That was step 1 to get CrossEPG installed

2)EPG from your provider
------------------------
Now comes the part that I haven't tested yet 100% but should be working.
Big thx to http://www.rytec.be/ where you can see different providers and files for it.
ok here we go!

Telnet into your machine
create a script file

after the prompt type:
cat > getEPG.sh (this creates a file that is comform standards)

Now you paste the txt from the commands you want it to make. I will paste mine below. Check which providers you would want and change the Rytec url for your needs.

wget http://www.rytec.be/epg/benluk/epg.dat.gz -O /hdd/epg.dat.gz
gunzip /hdd/epg.dat.gz
rm /hdd/epg.dat

Now to create the file do a ctrl-d (I had to do it twice for the prompt to start up)
After you see the 'cuberevo' prompt type

chmod +x getEPG.sh

Ok that was it for installing CrossEPG and having the getEPG.sh script (still in the / dir so not in /tmp or so, newbie mode)
Then we need something to auto update it. Seems like cron is our friend for this one since it can schedule our script.
I found this in regards to our Enigma2.
In Linux cron daemon allows you to execute scheduled tasks at specific time/date. Useful for autoupdate keys, epg and many more...
SIFTeam Enigma2 has cron daemon already included in busybox binary. Here is a way to use it.

Telnet to your box and execute the following commands:

Code:
mkdir -p /var/spool/cron/crontabs
touch /var/spool/cron/crontabs/rootNow edit /var/etc/rcS_user.sh (seems incorrect in Enigma 0.7 version /etc/init.d/rcS is the correct one) and add the following line at the end:

Code:
# cron daemon
/usr/sbin/crond &(I know that the proper way to autostart is within init.d, but flash users cant edit it)

Now you can add jobs to the cron by editing /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root file. (for some reason crontab -e doesnt work)
Edit that root and insert the job you want.
This is an exact copy of mine, so including the *
0 3 * * * /getEPG.sh

the 3 means at 3am and /getEPG.sh the file

Ok now reboot otherwise I don't think that the cron doesn't start!!

No warranty on this one and since I like sharing and caring please let us know the results or improvements!