Saga of Dead IP BOX 9000 HD

grizzlyt

Registered
What are you trying to say guys ?

I don't know where this discussion is leading.

If something is broken fix it, I can say that my hardware is of really good quality.
Far better then all the plastic boxes DMM is selling you.

You can read about hundreds of problems with overheating, dead power supplies, etc.

The fact that I hear much less problems with dead IP Boxes is that the hardware is a lot better.
You can argue about the software or the lack of support, but let's make it a better platform together and go towards a much user friendly future.

ararat

Of course, my dealer had to replace my first 9000 HD box, two weeks after I bought it for the compareable reasons you all posted here. That was some months ago. The new box runs since then without real breakdown.

BUT: My IPBox 9000 HD is revision1. It still annoys me with its loud fan.
It still annoys me with sporadic dropouts and/or psychedelic pixelmash when watching/recording scrambled SKY channels (known issue of firmware - why can´t they get rid of that?).
I bought the box especially to watch these SKY HDTV channels properly - not Anixe HD or others that run fine. So the box doesn´t fulfill its purpose for me.

Two reasons heavy enough for me to soon buy a dm8000 - I´m fed up with noise and dropouts (and .trp-files - will be happy with .ts on dream)

The quality of hardware of IPBox ... well, I opened the box about five times (replaced harddisk / tuners) and now to screws already don´t fit anymore - the screw threads are already damaged. A plastic box couldn´t do anything worse. What superior quality!

No (although firmware has improved noticeably) - Relook, AB-Com should have done better!

Last edited:

TerD

Registered
Looks as though it's been physically attacked! I wrap mine in bubble foam before shipping but when the dealer sent it back it was in its original box with an outer cover of brown paper.

Best of luck!

TerD

TerD

Registered
Grizzly T

What are you trying to say guys ?

-----I don't know where this discussion is leading----.

Of course you don't, the purpose of this interchange is to find out what happened through other people's experience!

There may be a million IP BOX 9000 HD's working fine out there so you don't hear from these users, but I doubt it. This is an experimental platform (within a couple of years it will probably be integrated into your HD TV)so the only way we can alert potential buyers to the fact that there are hassles is to post here. I much appreciated the help I got on the forum .

TerD

compufunk

Registered
We'll.....
Three months have come and gone and I'm still waiting to have my receiver repaired. The delay seems to be the manufacturers fault rather than the distributer.

This is very frustrating :mad:

TerD

Registered
Complain,

I sent a nasty fax to the distributor asking either give me a new one under guarantee or fix it NOW.

It's your right

TerD

compufunk

Registered
After ABCom returned the box to the distributor for the 5th time, I've finally gotten my receiver back.

I only got it back after contacting ABCom directly.

The timespan between sending the receiver back for repair and getting it back repaired was just short of 4 months, which in my book is way too long. :(

I've only had time to start playing with it in the past week, so I'm looking forward to annoying the wife while I fiddle with plugins etc. :)

i now have a rev2 ab ipbox you get the 3yre Gtee remember to activate the gtee card it says if you ain't happy you can get a direct replacement box!!!!!!!!
i had mine replaced when i had the fan problems with my rev1 and it took just 2 weeks and the newer box is much better also the rev2 has better front panel.
I also have a dm800 and the problems i am having with that box. the clones work better!
ab-com seem to have better customer service for me.
Do dmm send you a courier bag to drop off at the post office ? don't think! so i just used the postage bag provided buy ab-com and took it to the post office and that was it. got a new box 2 weeks latter. and the gtee was renewed so its starts again!
re registered the little card and away i go..:thum:

Last edited:

TerD

Registered
Thanks for this positive report, Jamie. Didn't know about the 3 year guarantee, I thought it was one year. I paid for 2 returns to the distributor, about 100 eur, as I was not offered a return option.

So, I guess either I didn't read the fine print or there wasn't any, meaning service depends on the policy of the importer.

TerD