WWE News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Jim Ross Speaks On The Passing Of Mitsuharu Misawa, Umaga, The Screw Job, More

Jim Ross has posted a new blog on his official website. Below are highlights:

- It feels as if I just got home and now it's time to pack and leave Sunday for a flight to Charlotte where all three WWE brands will be a part of Raw's 3 For All Monday night on the USA Network. It starts one hour early and it seems that most people usually forget the early start time. Perhaps if one specific match was advertised to kick off the night it would give the viewers something tangible to remember other than Raw is starting one hour early. BBQ'ed Random Thoughts...

- Another significant piece of Japanese, wrestling history died this weekend. Mitsuharu Misawa apparently died in the very spot that he gained his incredible fame and resounding respect from wrestling fans around the Globe....inside a wrestling ring. It's a damn shame that the vast majority of American wrestling fans won't give a second thought about the untimely death of "a Japanese wrestler." I encourage all fans to find DVD's of Misawa and watch him in his prime, in the 90's especially. If one is really serious about about being a highly skilled, pro wrestler, then study the late Mitsuharu Misawa. May he rest in peace.

- Mrs. J.R. and I attended the Toby Keith and Friends fund raiser for Ally's House which supports children with cancer and their families. Lots of my friends were there including former OU and Dallas Cowboys Coach Barry Switzer, current OU Football Coach Bob Stoops, former OU and NFL star Joe Washington and about 20 other former Sooners and NFL stars and Olympian Bart Connor. My friend, ESPN's Nancy Lieberman, whose son T.J. is a big WWE fan, was on hand as was former MLB pitcher Roger Clemens who is always friendly with me even though we kid each other about the Oklahoma-Texas football rivalry as "The Rocket" is a UT alum.

- WWE had a huge, sellout of over 14,000 fans at an outdoor stadium in Nimes, France Saturday night that grossed well over $800,000 to see the superstars of Raw in person. The crew will arrive back in the States on Sunday and then have to gear up for a 3 hour Raw on Monday. Whew.

- I haven't commented much on the Umaga situation here but I have addressed that matter and many similar issues in the Q&A section. Nonetheless, I have been asked what is next for Umaga? I don't have an answer as the man himself is the only one who can provide that info. I do hope that Umaga takes the time to carefully think things through and to evaluate all aspects of his life and not just his wrestling career. Umaga has been blessed with many athletic skills but nothing compares to the blessings of having a wonderful family which has to come first in any of our major decisions.

- Can you believe that we still get a ton of emails about the "Montreal Screw Job" of November 1997? Did you know that WWE will be back in Montreal on September 13 for a PPV? Will 1997 somehow be revisited in the ring? I don't have a clue but if so it will continue to feed this "12 year old monster" that seemingly has a life of its own. For the record, the last time I talked to Bret Hart "the Montreal Screw Job" wasn't at the center of our conversation.

You can read the full blog at this link.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Rey Mysterio/WWE Update

For those that missed it in our house show results, Rey Mysterio is back on the road with WWE. There were rumors last week he had left the company after he did not work TVs. However, we learned on Thursday he was still with the company but there was more to the story. Mysterio worked a triple-threat match at last night's house show in Binghamton, New York against Chris Jericho and World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk. Punk retained the belt in the match.

sky star 2

Super VIP
WWE Studios Gets New Executive VP

WWE issued the following press release today:

PAVONE TO HEAD WWE STUDIOS

STAMFORD, Conn., June 15, 2009 – World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. has named Mike Pavone as Executive Vice President of WWE Studios. In his new role, Pavone will lead WWE Studios’ theatrical releases, direct-to-DVD movies, series and reality programming and report directly to WWE Chairman Vince McMahon.

Pavone brings with him more than 18 years of experience in the film and television industry having worked as a writer, producer, director and actor. His projects include such notable titles as: The Client (CBS), Prison Break (FOX), High Incident with Steven Spielberg (ABC), Jack & Jill (WB), Against The Grain (NBC), Street Time (Showtime), The Blue Wall (Disney), Northmen for Warner Bros. and Seven Men from Now for Beacon Films.

Since 2008, Pavone has been a strategic consultant to WWE’s Creative Writing department, collaborating on the company’s top-rated, signature television programs, “Monday Night Raw®” and “Friday Night SmackDown®”.

“Mike brings a great combination of both filmed entertainment and television experience to his new role. We are confident that he can expand the breadth and depth of opportunities for WWE Studios,“ said Vince McMahon.

Pavone holds a BA in Film and Television Production from California State University at Sacramento and currently resides in Santa Rosa, California.

Additional information on World Wrestling Entertainment Inc (NYSE:WWE) can be found at http://wwe.com and http://corporate.wwe.com. For information on our global activities, go to http://www.wwe.com/worldwide/.

sky star 2

Super VIP

Michael Sileck Joins SourceForge's Board of Directors

Former WWE COO Michael Sileck was recently appointed to the Board of Directors for SourceForge, Inc. Below is an official press release:

SourceForge Appoints Michael Sileck to Board of Directors
Copyright 2009 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved
2009-06-15

Sileck brings media and eCommerce finance background to SourceForge Board of Directors

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., June 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SourceForge, Inc. (Nasdaq: LNUX), the global online network for community-driven tech media and e-commerce, today announced that Michael Sileck has joined the company's Board of Directors, effective June 10, 2009. Mr. Sileck brings over 24 years of experience in finance and media.

"Mike is a great addition to our team," said Scott L. Kauffman,
President, Chief Executive Officer and Director of SourceForge. "His depth and range of experience in working with some of the media industry's most innovative companies will serve us well."

Mr. Sileck, age 49, was until December of last year the Chief Operating Officer of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., a public company providing global sports entertainment. From June 2005 until February 2007, Mr. Sileck was Chief Financial Officer of World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. From March 2002 until March 2005, Mr. Sileck was Chief Financial Officer of Monster Worldwide, Inc., a public company provider of on-line job postings. Prior to March 2002, Mr. Sileck served in finance positions at USA Networks, Inc. (IAC/InterActive Corp.), Sinclair Broadcast Group, River City Broadcasting, Narragansett Television, L.P., and KTVY TV in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Mr. Sileck has been a member of the board of directors of Unifi, Inc., a public company yarn manufacturer, since May 2009, a senior advisor to and a member of the board of directors of Beeing LLC, a privately-owned social networking start-up company, since January 2009, and a member of the board of directors of Switch and Data Facilities Company, a public
company provider of internet exchange and co-location facilities, since January 2008.

"I am excited by the opportunity to join SourceForge, and look forward to working with the SourceForge team," said Sileck. "I feel fortunate to be able to contribute to an organization that is a true innovator in online media."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Confirmed For Tonight's 3-Hour Raw; 3 Title Matches, Tickets Still Available, More

WWE will tape this week's special three-hour edition of Raw tonight at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina. The following matches have been announced: John Cena, Triple H, Randy Orton, and Big Show will compete in a Fatal Four-Way Match for the WWE Championship, Jeff Hardy, Edge, and CM Punk will compete in a Triple Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship, and ECW Champion Tommy Dreamer will defend his title against Christian. Bell time is set for 7:30 p.m. ET and as of this writing good tickets still remain available as I was just able to get 5th row ringside seats on the Ticketmaster website.

If you are attending tonight's Raw, and would be interested in sending us live text-message updates throughout the evening, please email your name and mobile number to wnwryan [at] yahoo.com. Thanks for your support!

sky star 2

Super VIP

Friday's SmackDown, The Miz, Jake Roberts Update, More

- WNW reader Corey sent the following… SmackDown looked the way it did because the new digital TV signal.

- WNW reader Jonathan Hebert sent the following… I found it funny in a gallery of WWE photos you can see a fan flipping off The Miz! You can view it at this
link
on the 21st photo.

- WNW reader Chris Yandek sent the following… Starting in July, Jake Roberts will be going on tour with Jim Rose for the When Legends Collide Tour. The show will include wrestling along with circus stunts. You can find all the information on the event including dates and further information at this link.

sky star 2

Super VIP
WWE Issues Statement On The Death Of Mitsuharu Misawa

The official WWE website issued the following statement on the tragic death of Mitsuharu Misawa:

"On behalf of WWE, we were deeply saddened to hear of the tragic loss of Mitsuharu Misawa. We extend our sincere condolences to his family, friends and fans. Misawa will be remembered as one of the all-time greats in Japan," said John Laurinaitis, WWE Executive Vice President of Talent Relations.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Last Week's WWE Superstars Rating Is In

According to data compiled by Nielson Media Research, last week's edition of WWE Superstars (06/11) drew a 0.9 rating. This is slightly down from the previous week's 1.0.

sky star 2

Super VIP
WWE SmackDown/ECW House Show Results (6/14/09) - Hershey, Pennsylvania

Below are quick results from yesterday's SmackDown/ECW house show from the Giant Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania:

* John Morrison b. Mike Knox

* The Hart Dynasty b. Hurricane & Evan Bourne

* Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat b. Drew McIntyre

* WWE Intercontinental Champion Chris Jericho b. Rey Mysterio to retain

* The Great Khali b. Dolph Ziggler

* WWE Women's Champion Melina, Gail Kim & Eve Torres b. Layla, Alicia Fox & Natalya

* ECW Champion Tommy Dreamer b. Jack Swagger

* World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk b. Jeff Hardy

sky star 2

Super VIP
Randy Orton Talks About Having Success In The Wrestling Business, Says He Doesn't Want To Wrestle In His Mid-40s

The Charlotte Observer has a new article online featuring quotes from Randy Orton. Below are the highlights:

"The business has given me a lot," Orton told the publication. "I've seen the world. I have a nice house with a pool out back and a gym in the pool house. If you watched (the movie) 'The Wrestler,' you know it doesn't always turn out like that.

"I don't want to put myself in a position where financially I need to perform when I'm 60 or 50 or even in my mid-40s. There will be a time when I'm a dad of two or three and I just want to be at home with my family."

Click here to read the full article

Last edited:

sky star 2

Super VIP
WWE DVD News - 12 Rounds, Extreme Rules, Allied Powers: The World's Greatest Tag Teams, The Bash

- 12 Rounds starring John Cena will be released on Blu-Ray and DVD on June 30th. The DVD will be available in an Extreme Cut Edition with two alternate endings and "more intense action". WWE is relying on DVD sales and rentals to bring up the numbers from the film that tanked at the box office.

- WWE Extreme Rules will be released on DVD on July 7th.

- WWE's new Allied Powers: The World's Greatest Tag Teams will be released on DVD on July 24th.

- The Bash pay-per-view will be released on DVD on July 28th.

sky star 2

Super VIP

WWE Superstars In Africa, Jerry Lawler Gives Baseball Player A Gift, New WWE TV Show In Japan

- WNW reader Brandon van Reenen sent the following... South Africa's etv is the only international broadcaster of WWE Superstars according to WWE.com's schedule listings. etv will be running WWE Superstars on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 1.30pm. What the channel will do with the program the moment it catches up is yet to be confirmed.

- WNW reader Hiroaki Kawafuji sent the following... WWE Japan website announced WWE's new TV program "This week in WWE" will be broadcasted in TV Kanagawa that is Japanese local TV station from July.

- NJ.com has an article online Jerry "The King" Lawler sending CC Sabathia a replica WWE Championship Belt. Apparently, Johnny Damon was awarding the player of the game after victories a plastic WWE Championship belt. Lawler, who is a big Cleveland Indians fan, is having a belt made that features the Yankees' interlocking NY logo. You can read the full article at this link.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Vince McMahon To Announce New Raw GM Tonight, IC Title Match Announced

In addition to what has already been announced for tonight's edition of Raw, the official WWE website just announced the following:

* Vince McMahon will appear on the show to announce the new General Manager

* Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho for the Intercontinental Championship

Already announced for tonight's show are three world title matches which are as follows:

* John Cena vs. Triple H vs. Big Show vs. Randy Orton in a Fatal Four Way for the WWE Championship

* World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Edge in a Triple-Threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship

* ECW Champion Tommy Dreamer vs. Christian for the ECW Championship

Be sure and join us here tonight at 8 PM EDT for live coverage from tonight's special three-hour Raw.

sky star 2

Super VIP
New WWE Champion

Randy Orton won the WWE Championship in a Fatal Four Way Match on tonight's edition of Raw against Big Show, John Cena and Triple H. Orton pinned Big Show after hitting an RKO. Both Cena and Hunter hit their finishers on Big Show as well.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Evan Bourne vs. Mark Henry Announced For ECW

Evan Bourne vs. Mark Henry has been announced for tomorrow night's edition of ECW. ECW will be taped tomorrow night prior to the taping of this week's SmackDown from The Roanoke Civic Center in Roanoke, Virginia.

sky star 2

Super VIP
6-Man Tag Match Announced For WWE Superstars

Christian & Unified Tag Team Champions Primo & Carlito will face Jack Swagger and The Hart Dynasty in a 6-Man Tag Team Match on this week's edition of WWE Superstars. The match will be taped at tomorrow night's ECW/SmackDown taping from The Roanoke Civic Center in Roanoke, Virginia.

sky star 2

Super VIP
SmackDown Main Event For The Bash

CM Punk will defend the World Heavyweight Championship against Jeff Hardy at The Bash pay-per-view in two weeks. The Bash will take place live on pay-per-view on Sunday, June 28th from the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Several WWE News & Notes: CM Punk Remembers Misawa, Batista, More

- Wrestling News World reader Nicalee sent word that WWE has announced that Raw will be held at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City on Monday, September 21, 2009.

- Wrestling News World reader Duncan sent word that official WWE website has changed the promotional poster for The Bash pay-per-view to feature Jeff Hardy instead of Batista. You can check it out at this link.

- WNW reader Alan sent the following… Today is Chuck Palumbo's birthday. He turns 38 years old.

- Wrestling News World reader Krithi sent word that WWE is currently the third most searched term on Yahoo.

- WNW reader Jonathan Hebert sent the following… CM Punk wrote "Misawa" on his wrist tape on RAW for those of you who missed it.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Unified Tag Team Championship Match Announced For The Bash

It was announced on tonight's edition of Raw that Primo & Carlito will defend the Unified Tag Team Championship against Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase at The Bash pay-per-view. The Bash will take place live on pay-per-view on Sunday, June 28th from the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Two Matches Announced For SmackDown

The following matches will be taped tomorrow night for this week's edition of SmackDown:

* World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio

* Jeff Hardy vs. Edge

SmackDown will be taped tomorrow night from The Roanoke Civic Center in Roanoke, Virginia.