Satellite receiver with dual tuners

skybandit

Registered
Are you looking for good one or cheap one?
Yes, say all your requirements and limitations then it will be easier to decide (you decide).

I'm no expert in this field and don't know my requirements because I don't understand all the capabilities of all the different STBs.

I want something with dual tuners which costs 50-100 GBP.

When I look at the specs of different units, my eyes glaze over as I don't see what makes a 200 pound that much better than a 50 pound unit.

HZGEMMA H.2S DUAL CORE SATELLITE RECEIVER

lists the following features

- Linux Operating System
- Multimedia plug-in supported
- HDMI up to 1080p
- 1 x Smartcard-Reader
- 2 x USB2.0
- 100 Mbit Ethernet Interface
- 2,000 DMIPS CPU PROCESSOR
- BCM7362 Dual core
- More than 4.01x linux kernel
- Excellent sound quality in Dolby Digital
- Two DVB-S2 Tuner built-in dvb-s2+dvb-s2
- Mirco SD card (TF card) for recording, 8GB, 64GB, 128GB (optional)
- HDMI Connection
- AV Connection
- HDTV Receiver MHEG-2/4 H. 264
- USB PVR Support of external HDD (HDD Optional)
- 1xCardreader (MultiCAS)
- 2x USB 2.0
- Ethernet access 10/100 Mbit
- 256MB NAND Flash / 512MB DDR3
- Timeshift
- Electronic TV programmes ( EPG ) support
- Parental Control
- Plugin Service
- OSD into many languages and graphics (Skins)
- Webinterface, WEB Remotcontrol
- DISEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 22Khz and USAL's
- External power supply 12V 2A

Technical Details Dreambox DM920 ultraHD:
DreambDox OS
Dreambox API
CPU: Dual-Core 12K DMIPS
2 x HDMI 2.0 (input and output)
2 Plug&Play tuner slots
3? Color LC-Display
Touch on/off
MPEG-2/H.264 decoder (Full HD)
H.265 decoder (Ultra HD)
Smartcard reader
SD-Card reader
2 Common Interface slots (CI)
FPGA technology
2 GB RAM
8 GB Flash (EMMC)
Gigabit Ethernet interface
USB 3.0
Mini USB service port (Flash rescue)
S/PDIF digital bitstream out
Automatic service scan
2,5? harddisk slot for optional HDD up to 15 mm height
WiFI support (optional)
Web interface for PC and smartphone
DiSeqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, USALS, Unicable
Multistream support
FBC technology
Size: 270 x 187 x 60 mm (W x D x H)

So, what do I need? Or rather what don't I need might be easier...

I don't need:-
DreambDox OS
Dreambox API
DiSeqC
2 Common Interface slots (CI)
2 x HDMI 2.0 (input and output)

I don't know what these are or whether I would need/use them:-
Multistream support
FBC technology
FPGA technology

and I have no way of gauging how powerful a box I should get.

Am open to advice...

RimaNTSS

Registered
Some more questions to you:
Why do you need the box? Just to simply connect 1 LNB to it and watch some FTA channels? Or you are looking for many antennas with many LNBs and maybe also some motorized antenna operated from same receiver? Only Ku-band or maybe also C and Ka-band? Are you going to watch TV yourself or other family members also like to watch? Only FTA channels or also coded? Do you need 4k receiver or HD is enough? Do you have 4k TV at home? Do you have some experience using satellite equipment already or those will be your steps? Etc, etc...
More branded receivers (they usually also more expensive) usually have better software support. Maybe it is good idea to look at the second-hand market and buy good receiver in working condition, just to start with something? Do not expect to buy receiver and then use it for the rest of your life.... this is not going to happen. Relive me, you will start to think about buying new receiver after you get your first one and especially if it is one of the cheap ones.
However, if you allocate more money now to buy more expensive (read better) with better characteristics receiver it would probably work for you next 5-7 (maybe even 10) years.
For example, > than 10 years ago I got Dreambox 8000 (it was top box at that time), it has 3 SAt-tuners and one terrestrial. It is still up-to-date receiver, well, maybe it is slower than nowadays stuff but it works and still has software support.

skybandit

Registered
Some more questions to you:
Why do you need the box? Just to simply connect 1 LNB to it and watch some FTA channels? Or you are looking for many antennas with many LNBs and maybe also some motorized antenna operated from same receiver? Only Ku-band or maybe also C and Ka-band? Are you going to watch TV yourself or other family members also like to watch? Only FTA channels or also coded? Do you need 4k receiver or HD is enough? Do you have 4k TV at home? Do you have some experience using satellite equipment already or those will be your steps? Etc, etc...
More branded receivers (they usually also more expensive) usually have better software support. Maybe it is good idea to look at the second-hand market and buy good receiver in working condition, just to start with something? Do not expect to buy receiver and then use it for the rest of your life.... this is not going to happen. Relive me, you will start to think about buying new receiver after you get your first one and especially if it is one of the cheap ones.
However, if you allocate more money now to buy more expensive (read better) with better characteristics receiver it would probably work for you next 5-7 (maybe even 10) years.
For example, > than 10 years ago I got Dreambox 8000 (it was top box at that time), it has 3 SAt-tuners and one terrestrial. It is still up-to-date receiver, well, maybe it is slower than nowadays stuff but it works and still has software support.

Thanks for your helpful post.

I have been using a satellite receiver for around ten years and in that time I have tried around four different STBs. I have managed to configure them to watch encrypted channels often not really knowing what I'm doing or understanding the technology behind it.

I have a single dish with a quad LNB and no need for it to be motorised.

I would like the capability of accessing channels from every room in my house, and also recording programs on my network rather than locally.

I do not understand terms like Ku or Ka Band and am not sure if my TV is capable of 4K.

I like tinkering so would prefer something Enigma2 based so that I can get a better understanding about how the system works.

Ideally I'd like to build my own STB from off the shelf components but don't know if this is possible.

RimaNTSS

Registered
I see what you mean! No 4K needed, as you do not have 4K TV and also home network will not support 4k content to be sent over it. And, TBH, there are not so many FTA 4K TV channels available.
Most likely your antenna is pointed to Astra @28.2*E and quad LNB is Ku-band.
I would suggest then to have all 4 cables connected to quad LNB and then you look for second-hand Dreambox 8000 like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dreambox...b:g:ddwAAOSw5AhcOQkF:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Make sure you have 4 tuners installed in the box and then connect 4 coax cables from LNB. At the end of the day you will have 4 independent tuners working in the home network. You will be able watch TV channel on TV. At the same time another channel could be recorded to internal hard-drive, and at the same time another 2 channels can be streamed over the network to PCs in the same network. And it is all about FTA channels. For coded channels you will need special access card or something else (not necessary legal).

skybandit

Registered
I'm actually using Hotbird, but don't really know if that makes any difference.

The main thing I want is dual tuners and Enigma2 as the OS.

any suggestions?