HELP! Want to receive Superbird B2 but out of its footprint

KenSoftTH

Registered
Hi,

I'm living in Bangkok and want to receive a feed from Superbird B2 Satellite at 162 E. My area is out of its footprint, but the satellite is still over the horizon. With a very large dish, let's said 150cm, will I be able to pick the signal up. Lyngsat said that the elevation is 20 degree and I want to pick up KU Band.

Thanks

RimaNTSS

Registered
Why do not you use satbeams.com to see footprints? According to it you need at least 180cm dish to get reception from Ku-band Okinawa beam.
For Ku-band Japan beam you do not ave any chance with any size of dish.
Why do you think that 150cm is a very large dish?! It is normal size, but net very large.

KenSoftTH

Registered
Ohh, sorry, forgot to mention that i want to pick up Japan beam because Okinawa beam basically doesn't have the content i need.

KenSoftTH

Registered
LOL, okay, thanks so much, u saved me $200 for calling in technician to set it up. I'd guess i will need to stick to Asiasat 5 lol

RimaNTSS

Registered
But you could speak to local SAT-hobbyists who has big dishes, maybe some of them can receive the beam you are looking for. Theory is one, but practically it could be some difference.

RimaNTSS

Registered
In my understanding (purely subjective) small dishes are less than 120cm, normal dishes 120-180cm, big dishes > than 180cm. Of course more definitions of sizes of the antennas could be made, like tiny, middle, huge, gigantic .... you name them.
My smallest dish is almost twice smaller than the subreflector of the bigger dish. Funny is not it?

RimaNTSS

Registered
Some C-band dishes are well made and can bee used for Ku-band reception. Some C-band dishes have not perfect geometry and made of big-sized mesh, they usually perform not so good in Ku-band. All depends. Could you show some pictures of your antenna/antennas?

KenSoftTH

Registered
I can't as it on the roof of 2nd floor, but it's a C band mesh dish not a solid KU band one and it's 180 cm, but I'm looking for a new one to pick up the beam mentioned before at my new apartment. Because my house don't have a clearance at the east, so the beam will hit my neighbor building.