Reset root password on a DB 500

nezarg

Registered
hi All,
I have a DB 500 which I do not have the password for, and I really do not want to flash it with a new image. How can I reset the password on it. I saw in other forums that they suggest using TuxBox commander to edit the password file, but I can't get into TuxBox commander since it also asks me for a password. Any help will be appreciates.

amounib

Registered
I think that you must re-flash it with DreamUP because you dont have USB port on it to use some tools wich initialize the root's password.

satfoot

Registered
hi All,
I have a DB 500 which I do not have the password for, and I really do not want to flash it with a new image. How can I reset the password on it. I saw in other forums that they suggest using TuxBox commander to edit the password file, but I can't get into TuxBox commander since it also asks me for a password. Any help will be appreciates.

Seems a bit strange that a password was requested even when you just pressed Yellow Button and selected Tuxbox Commander.

nezarg

Registered
SatFoot,
I did install Tuxbox from the blue panel. so why is it asking for a password? Any idea what is the tuxbox passowrd?

B

boxgot

Hi
Is it,a root password or setup password you need too change?
If root then you should be able to use dreambox remote and change password over tuxbox comander.Or try this:

-Windows XP
(lan conection reqired)
start--> execute:
"telnet 192.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP of your Box)"
Code:

welcome on your dreambox! - Kernel 2.6.9 (09:37:04).

dreambox login: root
Password: dreambox

BusyBox v1.01 (2008.02.16-22:06+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

root@dreambox:~> passwd
Changing password for root
Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
Enter new password:

Thats it..
Maybe helps..hop!!

nezarg

Registered
is there such a thing as setup password? If there is, then what is the default. Just to repeat I do not have the root password, so i can't telnet, ftp, web access etc..

satfoot

Registered
SatFoot,
I did install Tuxbox from the blue panel. so why is it asking for a password? Any idea what is the tuxbox passowrd?

I've been using Tuxcom for quite some time now but have never been asked for a password. You managed to install Tuxcom from the Blue Panel. So try to delete it and re-install it from the Blue Panel. Just to make sure that we're referring to the same Plugin, it's listed as Tuxcom 1.16.

nezarg

Registered
ismailnoor,
i do not get your message.
satfoot,
I uninstalled Tuxcom and reinstalled 1.16 same thing. It keeps asking me for a password.

xxxAxxx

Super VIP
as others say only think is you have to flash the box....as i'm seeing you dont want the flash the box cos if you flash you will lose ur share conf file ....you will no way to access to the dream like this only the the way who sell you the box have to give root pass but i think will never give it to you...this why what ever you install uninstall or plugin will not help......dont waste your time on this thinks....there's only one way to learn root pass and that is will be to much for a normal user ..trust me...

StanMT

Registered
Very easy to do

xxxAxxx you are mistaken...this can be done using a midnight commander type of plugin which exorts a silly tuxbox security backdoor....this is very easy to do for normal user just follow these steps:

menu
setup
blue panel
addons
download gemini server
plugins
Tuxcom
OK
YES
OK
EXIT ALL
menu
setup
blue panel
Plugins
TuxBox Commander
scroll down to var
OK
scroll down to etc
OK
down to passwd and press 4 (edit)
OK on first line
RED to clear line
enter root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh with remote buttons like an writing an SMS
OK
EXIT
save YES
EXIT
save YES
EXIT
EXIT
EXIT
then login with telnet
login root
no pass !

StanMT

Registered
you do not need local dl of tux box and playing with dns

the normal vanilla tuxbox from gemini server works fine....this has been tested on over 6 different dreamboxes all locked with passwords

:thum:

srood123

Registered
Hi,
Im trying to reboot or change the password on my dreambox with Tuxbox Commander .

I have done exacully as stanMT says, I have dreambox 500S with but when I come to var/etc/passwd I try to press 4 to edit and green buttom nothing happens, i dont know why i tried to press all buttoms nothing happeb :(.

I can change the name but when i enter any file I cant edit or change.
When I recieved the DM500 so the person sold it to me he allready put this password. I dont want to reflash because i still get some free channels.

Please any advice what i do wrong?

P.S see below thanks

xxxAxxx you are mistaken...this can be done using a midnight commander type of plugin which exorts a silly tuxbox security backdoor....this is very easy to do for normal user just follow these steps:

menu
setup
blue panel
addons
download gemini server
plugins
Tuxcom
OK
YES
OK
EXIT ALL
menu
setup
blue panel
Plugins
TuxBox Commander
scroll down to var
OK
scroll down to etc
OK
down to passwd and press 4 (edit)
OK on first line
RED to clear line
enter root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh with remote buttons like an writing an SMS
OK
EXIT
save YES
EXIT
save YES
EXIT
EXIT
EXIT
then login with telnet
login root
no pass !

tow

Registered
how is it possible to install tux commander if there is no access to your dreambox? is there any other way to reset the root user/pass for example from the restore factory settings?