Sky Equipment Help

MS63

Registered
Hello.

I have just moved into a block of flats with a communal Sky dish.

I have no experience or of knowledge of Sky - although I am technically minded - and would welcome any information and assistance in the choice of a (cheap) Sky receiver.

I do not want to subscribe to Sky, just to receive their free channels, along with BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4, and Five.

Thank you in advance for you help.

iammaduk

Registered
hi there
bbc/itv have released freesat where you can get all free channels without the need to subscribe.
recievers are available from the likes of argos/currys/dixon at basic receiver starts at £49.99 and you can just plug it in and away you go.
hope this helps you

MS63

Registered
hi there
bbc/itv have released freesat where you can get all free channels without the need to subscribe.
recievers are available from the likes of argos/currys/dixon at basic receiver starts at £49.99 and you can just plug it in and away you go.
hope this helps you

So I take it BBC Freesat uses the same satellite, dish, LNB, etc as Sky.

Get a cheap Sly receiver on Fleabay, it will do the trick for around £10

I'll take a look.

Thank you both.

sporting2006

Registered
Niether of these options will recieve channel5 The Broadcaster is not yet part of freesat and you cannot recieve free from sky. You will need a sky freesat card for your reciever which costs around £20. ope this helps.

dtbois

Registered
Niether of these options will recieve channel5 The Broadcaster is not yet part of freesat and you cannot recieve free from sky. You will need a sky freesat card for your reciever which costs around £20. ope this helps.

This is a reply from the horses mouth (Channel 5 /Five US) when asked when they would be joining Freesat!

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm when we will be joining the new Freesat platform launched recently by the BBC and ITV. You may wish to contact us again later this year when additional information may be available.

Due to a lack of narrow beam capacity, we are unable to make our digital channels FIVER and Five US available on the platform.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

MS63

Registered
This is a reply from the horses mouth (Channel 5 /Five US) when asked when they would be joining Freesat!

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm when we will be joining the new Freesat platform launched recently by the BBC and ITV. You may wish to contact us again later this year when additional information may be available.

Due to a lack of narrow beam capacity, we are unable to make our digital channels FIVER and Five US available on the platform.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

Looks like it's Sky with a viewing card, then.

Thanks.