Longtitude and true south help!

boisty

Banned
Can someone help with the issue of finding true south? My Longitude is -1.678 degrees. Would that mean to find true south I would use the nearest satellite (Thor 1 degree west). Set my Diseqc motor to 0 (Zero) and point it at Thor. As I have set the Elevation/Lattitude on the motor would I then only have to set the declination on the dish until I got the strongest signal on Thor. Lastly would the .678 degrees lost make much of a difference in signal strength across the arc?

Brummie

Staff member
Administrator
yes mate set it up on thor, then go to 28 east and check your signal then got to 30 west and do the same if them 3 are all ok then you should pick them all up no probs.

boisty

Banned
Thanks. I am gonna go for a receiver with USALS after a lot of thought. Seems you just put in your Longitude etc and it works out all satellite positions. Would I then just get the receiver to go to Thor and then set the declination of the dish to optimum signal strength? Definitely looking for the easy way out here as I didn't have much luck doing this in the days of analogue! :mecry: