Saga of Dead IP BOX 9000 HD

TerD

Registered
Am I at the end of the tunnel? Got my IP Box 9000 HD back from the dealer today. To remind you that it just died in December 2008, I sent it back, dealer replaced motherboard for February.
Then it just continued booting without moving into menu mode.Sent it back, again.
Dealer says that motherboard (and power supply) have now been replaced.Had many suggestions from this forum ( including changing my house) but a faulty power supply explains why the
LED would light up but the processor wouldn't.

So I plug it in this evening.

In 3 months I'm out of date with image updates so would appreciate knowing which is the best, stable current SIF image to use to try to get back where I left 4 months ago.

TerD

Registered
End of tunnel

So the problem was indeed linked to the power supply to the main board, which was obviously screwed up following the board replacement.

I now have a menu.My HDD ticks over nicely.

Back to ground zero.

Could anyone recommend the most stable version of Sifteam to reinstall

Many thanks

TerD

dorosk

Registered
Good to see you back. Hopefully no more hardware problems for you.
Personally I would recommend the latest NLB image. It's stable, everything is already installed and Dexter gives good support for his images.

TerD

Registered
Rebuilding my IPBOX 9000 HD

Thank you Dorosk

My returned box has boot version dated Oct 24/08 18.09.44
Image is DG R7932

If I want to install NLB do I just add it on top of this or
do I need to flash an intermediate image ?

Interesting that there are similar problems reported currently in the forum as the one I had before I sent it back. So was it the motherboard ? I don't know - could have been a software layering issue.

Obviously in replacing the motherboard the dealer screwed up the power access (I did report that even the fan wasn't working).
There's a lot of kit in these IP Boxes for an amateur to mess with.

Regards

TerD

dorosk

Registered
Usually it works directly.
Just in case have DGS7043 available if you get panic after flashing.

TerD

Registered
NLB download link

Dorosk,

Would you have a download link for this NLB image?

Thanks, appreciated

TerD

TerD

Registered
Up and running with NLB

Seemed to work like clockwork.

IP Box is back in Busness again.

TerD:)

TerD

Registered
Up and running with NLB: ABCOM Power supply design failure ?

Just to close this thread and say that my IPBOX 9000 HD is running in a stable mode with nlb9207. Had a little setback when I applied the (super) grey skin which caused PANIC when changing between un-scrambled channels, and indeed multiple reboots. Changing back to deep-blue solved this issue ( Dexter said that this grey skin stills needs some work).

So what happened to my IP BOX? Zero feedback from the distributor. The first incident was either a board failure or a power supply failure. When I sent it back they replaced the board, but it still didn't work. I sent it back again and they replaced the power supply. Then it worked. These boxes run pretty hot so in fact I question whether ABCOM's AC/DC power supply unit within the box was under specified. Perhaps to save a few eurocents. I also question if it wouldn't be better to have an external AC/DC converter ( as for laptops), instead of having all of this junk inside a pretty crowded box.

I suspected the power suppy from feedback in this forum when I noticed my Samsung 500gb didn't make any sound on startup, even though the LEDS indicated booting. The Samsung works great, and I thank the Dutch support office who sent me a million jumpers (I only needed one)to easily convert it to SATE I (another stupid oversight on behalf of the ABCOM designers)

That's all

TerD

compufunk

Registered
Hi,
I now find myself in a similar situation to you TerD.

I only have the box for 2 days. It was was working fine then I rebooted it via the webinterface. Instead of powering down in the normal way. It just cut out as if the power went off. This is probably only a coincidence, but as in your case, it was related to boot/reboot.

Now when I try to turn it on, the power LED flickers very briefly (around the standby button), but nothing else happens, no output on display, the fan, hdd dont power up whatsoever.

Can I ask who the distributor who took so long to fix it was?

Also, did you have to pay for shipping each time you sent it back?

C

TerD

Registered
Sad.
Mine was a power supply problem - Astrasat finally replaced this, painfully slow. They also replaced the main board.Yes, I shipped it back at my cost, absolute pain.

Best of luck, have patience

TerD

TerD

Registered
Interesting to see how your solution develops as it may help other IPBOX users who could have the same problem. The dealer replaced the board switched the box on , the LEDs lit up and then said, it works and shipped it back to me without verifying that the power was off on the main board. I found this out myself, then sent the box back. This dealer gives good prices but is not hot on tech support, a box mover.This is the 3rd report about failure on IP Boxes. Could be a weakness in the power supply design.

TerD

adda38

Registered
Interesting to see how your solution develops as it may help other IPBOX users who could have the same problem. The dealer replaced the board switched the box on , the LEDs lit up and then said, it works and shipped it back to me without verifying that the power was off on the main board. I found this out myself, then sent the box back. This dealer gives good prices but is not hot on tech support, a box mover.This is the 3rd report about failure on IP Boxes. Could be a weakness in the power supply design.

TerD

Yeah mind has the same fault know.I will sending mind back this week to be repaired. I will let you now I get on with the process.

compufunk

Registered
Good luck with that. Its been 44 days since I shipped mine back and I still haven't received it back.

I'm not getting any answers from the dealer other than to wait. I dont understand why it has to take so long. Its not very good service on the part of AB-Com :confused:

TerD

Registered
Did you resolve this?

Hi Compufunk,

Just to find out if you resolved this situation.
I keep my fingers crossed but my IP BOX 9000 HD still
works OK.

Interesting to find out if this is an MTBF issue and if we are each one of 3 (a 3rd similar problem was posted) out of
X thousand users.

Regards

TerD

compufunk

Registered
Hi Compufunk,
Hi TerD,
I'll post back once I know what the problem was.

Why not ask for a new one if it's under guarantee
I do plan to ask if I don't get the other one repaired soon. I doubt if I'll get one though, all they are obliged to do by law is to repair the faulty one.

Regards,
C

adda38

Registered

TerD

My one was from sateuropa in England and I confirmed they received it today. Now just got to wait to see how long it takes for them to repair it. I will be OK thou as to be honest, I never really got it setup right as I was working away a lot. When I did use it I had a lot of crashing problems anytime I moved my dish. The flashing blue power light started out as a intermittent fault but it soon became all the time. I just got new Panasonic TV's with built in freesat hd, so will be OK without it for awhile.

TerD

Registered
Adda 38,

Could be interesting to demand a report on why it failed. Too easy for other dealers to blame this on the 'dumb'user which is what happend to me for 2 months ( actually got told that perhaps I was not the type of person who should have bought this kit, but when I asked for my money back, refused).

TerD

adda38

Registered
My Ip9000hd turned up in Germany with a crack down the right hand side of the side cover and the front panel ripped off. They are claiming that it was damaged by royal mail before it got to Germany.My supplier are claiming that put it in another box before sending it to Germany and that box looked fine.Check out the damage that they seem to be passing the buck back me to deal with. I can see Royal Mail recorded delivery paying out on this as it was signed for by supplier they shipped by them back to Germany for repair.