Problem with Astra 1l and 1H in the UK

Nightmare619

Registered
I am trying to receive German TV on Astra 1L and Astra 1H in the UK.

We recently had a 80CM dish installed. This connects directly into a my receiver. The engineer who installed dish did not have much experience of the pointing at Astra 1 - but showed me his satellite finder that was displaying 19.2 E and a good signal strength of approx. 80%.

There are a number of FTA channels on Astra 1L. one of which is BVN. This appears to be setup correctly?

However - even though the receiver shows signal strength of 80% on the BVN channel - there is no signal quality. The strange things is that I am getting a reading of signal strength of 80% and a signal quality of approx. 80% on other encrypted Pay channels on Astra 1H. However, I am unable to watch these as they are encrypted and I do not have an activated view card. The screen is just black on these channels.

This leads me to the conclusion that dish is not actually pointing at the right satellite. My wife is desperate to get Dutch TV.

Do you think that we should try to re-align the dish ourselves - until we get a picture on BVN?

Your help / advice would be very much appreciated.

pedro2000uk

Registered
I'd do a scan first to see what channels scan in & see what satellite they are actually on, it could be on another satellite or maybe the lnb settings are wrong (you could check they are set to universal first)

and if it does scan in another satellite you'll at least know which way it needs moving before attempting to move it