how to connect external HDD to DVB500hd

cilis

Registered
Hi All,

I want to setup an external HDD with my DVB500HD ( clone) this has esata and usb ports, I used a newlink enclose with a 200gb satadrive ( works fine on laptop) but when I connect the DVB via esata and use the USB for power the DVB does not find it, is there anything I can do ?

thanks

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
You powering from USB on the 500 ?

If so it will struggle as the amperage output is very low.

Try using a powered USB hub on the HDD, that should work.

cilis

Registered
Ferret thanks for your help mate it was power issue and it worked fine, I recorded a movie and worked, however I tried yesterday an instant record DVB crashed saying disk full which is incorrect and not booting anymore, I think I will probably have to install image again :(

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
The disk full error can be linked to hidden partitions on the hdd if it has been used in a windows 7 environment.

Try initialise it with the image you have now.

cilis

Registered
exactly mate you are right because although I reformatted using a MAC I still could not remove the hidden partition :( now I am trying to remember how to reflash the DVB, re-install CCAM, etc......:( I was so happy for making work but all this work now was really not worth the hassle......any image choice for the DVB500 ( clone ) ? I was using nemesis 2.6 190r0 from ramiMAHER

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Nemesis is a good image but also consider OpenPLI it has cam available for download.

It will feel strange to start with after using Nemesis but youll grow to like it.

cilis

Registered
link does not work mate, is there a version number for Openpli so I try to find an image, also does it work the same i.e. I will be able to install cccam etc ? mind you I will probably do nemesis first as I need to watch Juve vs Lazio today and not sure I will be able to flash etc. in 2 hours :(

thanks for your help much appreciated

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Well there is no cam panel on blue button youll find it under menu button. Also no cam downloads on blue button you find cams to download on openpli by going to the plugin menu and pressing the green button.

cilis

Registered
Ferret thanks, I think I will first to Nemisis for today to hopefully watch the game in time and over the weekend will give openpli a try. thanks for all your help

cilis

Registered
Ferret can I ask you one last question, the box at the moment when I switch it on I get an image that nemsis is loading and it never boots, can this be fixed without re flashing an image i.e I don't lose the SAT settings etc. ?

thanks

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Have you any clues what happened to get the box in that state ?

If you don't then re flashing is the quickest solution.

cilis

Registered
I tried instant record, it showed error disk full and hung up, could only switch off and on and when switched on it came to this state ? I can see IP if I hold button on switchon etc but it never manages to finish boot

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
So you can not complete flashing it ?

Make sure your using IE to flash it.

cilis

Registered
I have not tried re flashing as I am at work but currently trying to find all the tools and images to re-flash, also trying to remember what I did, what I am trying to avoid is re-installing sats because last time I flashed I had a hassle setting the SATs on USALS

cilis

Registered
i was trying to see if there is a way to telnet or something else where i can save settings if they are still available on the box before re-flashing but i am probably dreaming :(

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Well if the box boots far enough into the image you maybe able to ftp in and also use a channel editor to save settings.

If you have not tried already id remove the hard drive and try boot again.

cilis

Registered
tried with HDD removed also remove flash USB as i had one installed as well but no joy, i will try ftp as you said, can you advise which files i should save vis-à-vis settings as intimated my concern is SATs because cccam and cline i can do but SATs i had played around so much can't remember what i did :(