Buying a new receiver but which one? DM or Vu+

Gammal Gubbe

Registered
It is time to replace my old DM800HDSe but I am not sure which one..

Vu+ Ultimo 4K
Dreambox DM900 UHD 4K

Which one would you chose and why? I want PowerVu without stream relay and blind scand. Stream channels at 5W would be nice added bonus but not a must. Anything else to think of? Or would you suggest any other box than above listed?

The Vu+ seems almost twice as expensive as the DM, is it worth it?

Gammal Gubbe

Registered
Don't rule out new Octagon SF4008, neither new Gigablue that will be available next Spring (Maybe April).

Thanks for the heads up, the Octagon seems interesting indeed (did not check Gigablue yet). What about BISS & PowerVu? Blind scan? I am not familiar with the images supported today for the box, guess I have a learning curve ahead of me... :cool:

william-1

Feed Hunter
Thanks for the heads up, the Octagon seems interesting indeed (did not check Gigablue yet). What about BISS & PowerVu? Blind scan? I am not familiar with the images supported today for the box, guess I have a learning curve ahead of me... :cool:

Biss,PowerVu supported & updated by various versions of Openbox
http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?t=111569&page=5

For Blind Scan receivers the best that I currently use is the TM5502HD & TM5302HD.

Prvt_N00b

Registered
I would go with DreamBox, because of the support they have, also they are the only ones with Pvu without stream relay

Gammal Gubbe

Registered
I finally decided on a new box: Octagon SF4008 2x DVB-S2X + 1 DVB-T/T2... it will arrive next week :)

Now I need a new HDD for it and I was looking at 1TB WD Black. A friend mentioned it is 7200 rpm and noiser and generates more heat... he may have a point there especially as the box is fanless. Will WD Blue or Seagate Green be enough? 5400 rpms. My old DM can hardly use normal HDD (glitches during playback), SSD is fine though. Obviously Octagon is more powerful than the 7yo DM but I felt I need to check if green / blue is ok in today's boxes. Any thoughts?

Francescone

Very good choice I believe. I did not try SF4008 yet, but it seems a very promising receiver. Any feedback from you would be very appreciated. Not sure about hdd in this specific box, but generally speaking 7200 rpm is always better for video operations. I would choose WD Black. All WD drives are not so warm nor noisy, Black too. Please let us know your opinion about this new receiver. Thanks.

Gammal Gubbe

Registered
Very good choice I believe. I did not try SF4008 yet, but it seems a very promising receiver. Any feedback from you would be very appreciated. Not sure about hdd in this specific box, but generally speaking 7200 rpm is always better for video operations. I would choose WD Black. All WD drives are not so warm nor noisy, Black too. Please let us know your opinion about this new receiver. Thanks.

I tried WD blue which I believe is 5400 rpm drive. It was obviously too slow as the box crashed when I recorded a high bitrate HD channel. I think it crashed after 30 minutes. When I recorded UHD it crashed immediately. When changed to WD black, no problem with neither. Conclusion: If you want to record HD / UHD / Satellite feeds box needs 7200 rpm drive or SSD.

On a positive note, box restarted very quickly after the crash. 20 seconds later I had picture without any action from me.

I don't know much about this box, maybe it is German brand. Eventhough I selected English language I see german words in many menues. FEC Autosetting is missing so you have to select something.. which is timeconsuming of course if you want to watch satellite feed and the feed hunter didn't specify which FEC channel used. Blind scan feature is there but missing driver, I hope it comes soon enough. One thing I liked in blind scan setting is I could filter out known nearby satellites. For instance, if you want to scan 10E you might want to filter out 9E channels.

What I like of the box is very good picture quality. Remote control is not good, it makes clicking sound when using it.

Anyway this thread is about which box I should buy, we may need to move to another thread if speaking specifically about Octagon SF4008. :)

Last edited: