150cm dish 'support arms'

smasher2

Registered
150cm Offset dish 'support arms'

I have an old Offset 150cm dish which i'm about to tune in for Astra 2E UK Freeview channels, for use outside of UK.

As i am missing the 3 'support arms' that hold the LNB in place, in front of the dish, i may have to make my own (if the previous owner can't find them!).

My question is:

Can anyone please tell me how long these 3 'arms' have to be for my dish, which is completely round (150cm x 150cm)?

I can't find any info' anywhere on the net, and would really appreciate some help, of link with diagram/measurements etc.

Thanks in advance,
regards,
smasher2

Last edited:

Lmkiu

Registered
Measure the dish, if its 1.65 m from top to bottom and 1.5m across, then the focus length (lnb to dish) is usually 900mm.

Provide a temporary setup as above, then measure for the side arms, its a bit of hit and miss but you will get there eventually.

btw;
Astra 2E has a very narrow footprint, which only covers the UK , Ireland, northern France and west Belgium.

Alas,reception outside of the above drops off rapidly.

smasher2

Registered
HI Kmkiu!
Thanks for your quick reply. I've just measured the dish, with tape measure flat onto the front, and it's 154.5cm x 154.5cm. Do you know what length of support arms i'd need fot this?

If my signal is found to be week after i eventually get this all working, then i've got an extension section, that goes all 'round the dish (25cm wide), taking the total diameter up to 2m, but hopefully i won't need this; it's ugly enough as it is!

Any advice for the support arm length is greatly appreciated once more!
Thanks again.

rick412

Registered
you should look at the satellite footprint diagrams on the internet, you'll see the signal range and the direction its being pointed at. Google satellite astra 2e footprint and click images.

satesco

Feed Hunter
smasher2 said:
...I can't find any info' anywhere on the net...

I don't want to discourage you,but such support arm for offset antennas are not found on the net.And I do not know if it can be made manually,because the focal length of the arm for offset dish and angle of the arm relative to the reflector it calculates by manufacturer.Eventually you can make an arm,but for an accurate reception,especially for weak signals,you need a professional skillfully.I want you to succeed :thum:

Lmkiu

Registered
Yesterday I had a hangover and I went by thread title (offset dish) which led me to the wrong conclusion, measurement wise.

Previous posters, rick412 and satesco have made some very valid contributions and if you are determined to press on, as I would (never give up easily) we shall proceed.

Your measurements of 154.5 cms x 154.5 cms is including the curved part flat across, I am assuming, whereas the parabolic area is 150 cm exactly, is this correct?

The focal point of a standard 1.5 m prime focus dish is usually 570mm.

Bearing this in mind and in order to determine different manufactures dish production characteristics, there is a last precise measurement you will need to make as follows;

To determine the exact focal point of your 1.5 m dish, you would need a piece of fishing line cut to exactly 1.5 m, then with the aid of an assistant, hold the line across and just touching the dish without any slackness, these touching points should be just inside (not above) the curved part of the dish.

Measure from centre of dish to fishing line and either calculate yourself or post the result here and I will calculate the focal point for you, either way, post your measurements including focal point you have achived here.

Once you have this exact focal point, only then can you measure for side arm lengths, which will be relatively easy to achive.

smasher2

Registered
Lmkiu... that's super.

You're correct with how i took my mesurements.

I'll now do just that, with some fishing line, and if you could, i'd really appreciate some help with the calculation.

I'll get back to you with focal point measurement.

Thanks again!

amdaley...i'll check the link out too, thanks!

smasher2

Registered
thanks, nicol-one. The dish you named looks quite similar to mine. I'll check the spec closely now.

regards

smasher2

Registered
Lmkiu.... the link (diagram) that rick412 was great, as i (think!) i've managed to calculate the Focal Point.

After using fishing wire, my dish gives me a diameter of
150cm, and from the middle(75cm) back to the dish, is 17cm.

After all my calculations, using rick412's diagram, my answer for Focal Point is
82.7cm (17cm + 65.7).

Can you tell me if this is correct please?

My dish has 3 drilled-holes already in the actual FRONT surface of the dish, which are 23cm in from the edge of the dish.

My question is:-

Now that i know the Focal Point, can i simply make the 3 'support arms' to go into these 3 holes in the front of the dish (keeping obviously the 82.7cm distance out from the middle), or should i make the 'support arms' go from the Focal Point to the OUTSIDE edges of the dish instead (i calculated these arms from the Focal Point to the OUTSIDE of the dish to be 99.7cm)?

Does this matter, as long as the Focal Point's distance stays the same?

As before, i'd be very pleased for your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lmkiu

Registered
You got it in one, well done.

Always where possible use original holes, keeping with dish design and just maintain centre focal point measurement, it should be OK.

Best of luck.

Tururu

Registered
.....Astra 2E has a very narrow footprint, which only covers the UK , Ireland, northern France and west Belgium.

Alas,reception outside of the above drops off rapidly.
El Astra 2E y Astra 2F tienen una huella mucho mas abierta de lo que refleja la huella del satelite realmente, en Madrid con 150cm offset y cerca de Valencia con 180cm Foco Primario muy bien (38.5N, 0.5W).

Es un dato importante y estos 2 satelites no dicen toda la verdad al indicar niveles de señal fuera de UK.
Incluso en Madrid con 100cm se sintonizan perfectamente, pero no es normal, seguramente al estar en el punto de maxima señal.
--------------------------
The Astra 2E and Astra 2F have a much more open than it reflects the footprint of the satellite footprint really, 150cm offset in Madrid and Valencia near 180cm Prime Focus fine (38.5N, 0.5W).

It is an important thing and these two satellites do not tell the whole truth to indicate signal levels outside the UK.

Even in Madrid 100cm perfectly tuned, but not normal, likely to be at the point of maximum signal.

3dbq.jpg

PD: Sorry translations.:thum:

Last edited:

Lmkiu

Registered
Thanks so much, you've been a real help!

Fingers crossed now!

You are welcome and again, the very best of luck.:thum:

btw;
I have only just remembered our chats back in June, triggered by Tururu' s post.
I have included the link as a reminder of the bad changes in the pipeline.

@RimaNTSS
Thats a very goood idea, pleanty of strength with very little interference to reception.:thum:

--------------------------
The Astra 2E and Astra 2F have a much more open than it reflects the footprint of the satellite footprint really, 150cm offset in Madrid and Valencia near 180cm Prime Focus fine (38.5N, 0.5W).

It is an important thing and these two satellites do not tell the whole truth to indicate signal levels outside the UK.

Even in Madrid 100cm perfectly tuned, but not normal, likely to be at the point of maximum signal.
PD: Sorry translations.:thum:

Translation is perfect.:thum:

Alas, unfortunately, it would seem, the reception of Astra 2E changes in September, see below;

http://www.sat-universe.com/showthread.php?p=1144921#post1144921