Go Back   Sat Universe > SAT Related > C-Band Chat
Email Us

C-Band/Ka-Band Reception in the UK (Dish Project: LNBs, Dish, Alignment) - Post your results here...

C-Band Chat

Old 19-05-2013, 13:50  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
SU Team: It's All Good (Fausto v1.45/Newcamd/vplug/CCCam/T-Rex & Dragon CAM user)

Thanked 49,409 Times in 7,853 Posts
Default C-Band/Ka-Band Reception in the UK (Dish Project: LNBs, Dish, Alignment) - Post your results here...

A friend will be re-installing/re-aligning my Dish next month as I am sick of getting nothing from 4W, when I know I used to get some of the Beams (also lost ENTV on 5W).

My East Arc is set up stronger at Present (Badr4 26E superb even in bad weather). But I think we Aligned on 13E and adjusted on 26E last time, need to do it right on 0.8W/1W this time (my reception Satellite Arc is generally 45E to 46W (telegraph pole obstructing a big arc).

I seem to remember the Baltic Beams were the weakest receivable ones in the UK at 0.8W/1W but I can't remember the frequencies to use, can anyone help? (11747H ?, 12687H ?)

I'm using a Triax TD110, location North West England & will prob replace the LNB and use a Inverto Quad LNB to supply my Topfield twin tuner, Manhattan twin tuner, Spiderbox HD9000 and Humax HD receivers.

I am also considering adding C-Band but it would be an offset LNB ie something like:

don't know what type of arm but would be Ku-Band Prime, C-Band offset, anyone think this would work for 3.3E C-Band in the UK and any other C-Band between 46E and 31.5W (e.g. 5W, 20W)

Technomate TM-1 0.1db LNB Ku-Band, DMS International BSC421 13K LNBF C-Band, TechnomateTM-7102HD-T2 Super (Ku-Band/C-Band), Spiderbox HD9000 (Ku-Band) & GM60 LED Projector. 54.9E-30W Ku-Band 54.9E-15W C-Band 2 x Triax TD110 Motorised Dishes NW UK, Sky UK Basic+Sports Sub. Fausto v1.45 & vplug server. T-Rex & Diablo CAMs. Ku-Band except when stated otherwise: 53E, 52.5E, 52E, 51.5E, 50E, 46E, 45E, 42E, 40E(C), 39E, 36E, 33E, 31.5E, 30.8E, 28.2E, 26E, 23.5E, 21.6E, 20E(C), 19.2E, 16E, 13E, 10E(Ku/C), 9E, 7E, 5E(C), 4.8E, 3.1E, 0.8W (1W & 0.8W), 3W, 4W, 5W(Ku/C), 7.3W, 8W, 11W(Ku/C), 12.5W, 14W, 15W, 20W, 22W, 24.5W, 27.5W & 30W.

Check out Myth Of Unity, The Group has performed with the likes of Labrinth, Wretch 32, and Katy B. Released there first Official single in August 2016 as featured on BBC Introducing in Lancashire. For regular gig news and info check them on twitter, facebook or homepage:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to empb For This Useful Post:
asraar (08-11-2016), sahafe (18-07-2013), The Hack (01-06-2013)
Old 19-05-2013, 14:56  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

I suguest check http://www.lyngsat.com/ for the transpoders that are the weakes .
For Danish users it generaly 13e for dish allignment .
Recheck your pole is 100 % in level .
empb (19-05-2013), Ferret (23-05-2013)
Old 19-05-2013, 15:08  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian
SU Team: It's All Good (Fausto v1.45/Newcamd/vplug/CCCam/T-Rex & Dragon CAM user)

Lyngsat only gives you a general info (eg dBW / EIRP) based on manufactures supplied footprint info, satellite manufactures supplied infos. (Although some information is based on there own reception reports, which I believe are London based, not North West England).

Weakest signal (beams was prob the wrong word to use!!! ) depend on your location, which is why I mentioned Location: North West England.

Technomate TM-1 0.1db LNB Ku-Band, DMS International BSC421 13K LNBF C-Band, TechnomateTM-7102HD-T2 Super (Ku-Band/C-Band), Spiderbox HD9000 (Ku-Band) & GM60 LED Projector. 54.9E-30W Ku-Band 54.9E-15W C-Band 2 x Triax TD110 Motorised Dishes NW UK, Sky UK Basic+Sports Sub. Fausto v1.45 & vplug server. T-Rex & Diablo CAMs. Ku-Band except when stated otherwise: 53E, 52.5E, 52E, 51.5E, 50E, 46E, 45E, 42E, 40E(C), 39E, 36E, 33E, 31.5E, 30.8E, 28.2E, 26E, 23.5E, 21.6E, 20E(C), 19.2E, 16E, 13E, 10E(Ku/C), 9E, 7E, 5E(C), 4.8E, 3.1E, 0.8W (1W & 0.8W), 3W, 4W, 5W(Ku/C), 7.3W, 8W, 11W(Ku/C), 12.5W, 14W, 15W, 20W, 22W, 24.5W, 27.5W & 30W.

Check out Myth Of Unity, The Group has performed with the likes of Labrinth, Wretch 32, and Katy B. Released there first Official single in August 2016 as featured on BBC Introducing in Lancashire. For regular gig news and info check them on twitter, facebook or homepage:
The Following User Says Thank You to empb For This Useful Post:
Ferret (23-05-2013)
Old 22-05-2013, 10:22  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 1,090 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccino99
you shouldn't miss 3E:

And a good one to start with. I'd forget the c band lnb's feedhorn even if it is an offset one, just don't fit it so you can get them as close as possible as you are pushing it on C Band on a 1.1. Also cover the C Band lnb's cap with plastic to make it waterproof as C Band lnbs are designed for prime focus dishes which means they always face down so only usually have drain holes but on offset dishes they point upward.

You can make a second lnb holder easy enough for a c band lnb with a U bolt - 65mm I think (can't remember tbh).

In offset on a motorised it isn't as good as you move away from the top of the arc as if you use an inclined actuator & fit it above the ku lnb so you get all the focus (not easy on a Triax ) & at 1.m- 1.05m you are already on the limit. There's a lot of C Band up there though, don't forget there's circular & linear so access to swap the dielectric plate's not a bad idea either.
the 6 degree offset does work on a td110 although reception site is down south and he did use lightweight ku-band ultra lnb's. thanks to [email protected] for the picture. regards mdt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-Band and Ku-Band on same Dish.JPG (314.5 KB, 95 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mdt For This Useful Post:
empb (24-05-2013)
Old 22-05-2013, 10:22  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Keep the LNBs as close as possible to use as much as the dish/signal as possible ie:

Quote:
No one said it doesn't work, but getting the C band closer to the KU in the focus by losing the feedhorn is a better trade off on a smaller dish, I've fitted several of the C Band offset feedhorn designs & tested them with or without feedhorns and unless you have a serious interference problem you'll be better off on a small dish without it to get closer to the focus, you make a feedhorn that has a cut out for the ku though, even better.
Properly installing the LNBF on your dish is critical. After attaching the scalar ring to your support arms, you should confirm that it is pointing to the center of your dish. One way to do this is to measure from the edge of your dish to the edge of the scalar ring in several places around your dish. These measurements should be the same. If not, your feed is not pointing to the center of your dish and will not perform as intended.
After finding a signal, turn the LNBF to find the best polarity performance. Do this on both polarities. Carefully move the C-Band LNB toward the dish and away from the dish to find the best operating distance. After finding the best possible performance tightens the set screw to hold the LNBF in place.
The Following User Says Thank You to uydudunyasi For This Useful Post:
empb (22-05-2013)
Old 22-05-2013, 21:57  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Thanked 1,090 Times in 466 Posts

so your saying drop the scalar feed on a off-set arrangment for better results then? what about as a prime focus? ive been toying with the idea and have done alot of reading on it and results seem to vary with dielectric plate or no plate, pre-made scalar ring/home made scalar ring. ive got an old iss 1m here and im considering adding a c-band lnb for experiments as personally i dont like the off-set idea and adding an inclanation jack,v-box to my gibby 1.25 or td110 is beyond me although ive never seriously looked into it. what do you mean by make a feedhorn that has a cut-out for the ku? is it so you can add your ku lnb and c lnb on the same feed? regards mdt
empb (24-05-2013)
Old 22-05-2013, 21:59  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Yes:

Quote:
on a smaller offset dish with a c band in offset - yes, just drop the feedhorn or do a cut out version- the hole that the ku band lnb's feed horn fills will do more or less the job of the bit that's missing anyway & cut a bit of the c feedhorn's scala rings away to make sure the ku can still see all the dish, should do 80%-90% of the original shielding wise - it would be the same for a prime focus & you had a side by side ku/c setup but obviously it's a flat feedhorn.

They wouldn't be in the same feed but still side by side, touching, although it's an idea & you do get combi's but they usually lose too much.

A dielectric plate converts the C Band LNB which is by default linear (H & V like a universal lnb) to circular (L & R). If you just put a 13k C Band LNB with or without feedhorn on the ISS 1m taped on the lnb holder focused & skewed correctly & aimed it at 3e (I'd use a ku band LNB to get the right aim 1st) you should pull in the horizontal C Band on there quite easily. The circular on there goes somewhere else otherwise you'd get that too with the plate inserted.
The Following User Says Thank You to uydudunyasi For This Useful Post:
empb (22-05-2013)
Old 22-05-2013, 22:00  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

So as the majority of C-Band in the UK (on the Satellites mentioned earlier in this thread) have L / R circular polorization I would need to leave the dielectric plate fitted. Or remove it to get alignment with strong Linear 3E C-Band transmission and then re-fit it as I would want to get the circular L / R channels?

I also found this:
Code:
http://xxx.purplesat.com/index.php?p=1_88_C-BAND-IN-THE-UK

The Following User Says Thank You to empb For This Useful Post:
Ferret (23-05-2013)
Old 22-05-2013, 22:02  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Both:

Quote:
You can receive circular or linear in an lnb with or without a dielectric plate if you can get enough signal in it, it will still impart so much of it's energy on the antenna and at that point it's the same to the lnb & receiver just as a horizontally polarized signal on a vertical antenna, if there's no conflict & it's strong enough to lock you can receive it.
There can be quite a difference with or without a dielectric plate for circular though & using a 1m dish you need every last drop but inserting a dielectric plate has it's own associated losses & leaving it in for linear is a bit like putting a pencil in front of the feedhorn, I think it's about 1/2 or -3dB, I'd just start with 3e linear c band, best place to start & that should come in next to a ku lnb on a motorised 1m.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uydudunyasi For This Useful Post:
empb (22-05-2013), eniz9 (23-05-2013)
Old 23-05-2013, 20:53  Translate from English to Italian  Translate from English to French  Translate from English to German  Translate from English to Spanish  Translate from English to Dutch  Translate from English to Greek  Translate from English to Portuguese  Translate from English to Russian  Translate from English to Russian

Footprints from Lyngsat (thanks LilleMama for suggestion )

Eutelsat 5 West A @ 5°W (C-Band Coverage):

Arabsat 5C @ 20°E (C-Band Coverage):

Looking forward to testing C-Band @ 30.5E, 20E, 10E, 3.3E, 5W & 11W in the UK. Reading info I would hope to get something from 3.3E and the 2 at 5W, 20E whose footprints are shown above.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to empb For This Useful Post:
eniz9 (23-05-2013), sahafe (18-07-2013)
Note: Visitors from certain countries might see in-text advertising(underlind words in posts).
It is only shown to unregistered visitors or members that haven't made any posts. So you can easily get rid of it.