uk dish setup

supermario

​Hi Guys

I have just moved to the UK and living in NW4 (Hendon). I am trying to install a dish and do the setup myself (DIY) as the installer quoted me 120 Pds for the installation and setup. I have bought a dish and all equipment required for the setting. i.e. dish, lnb, ...etc. I own a VU+Solo2 which i was using with Dubai setting.

I need help from any our friends living in this area with :

1) The channels settings file/list with which I can install in my receiver and setup the dish and allign the LNB for HB 13E.

2) How to align and fine tune the dish with a manual meter.

3) Highest / lowest gain channel to find signal and fine tune.

4) Do I need a TV license and /or any other license for viewing FTA channels?

5) which is a better bird - Hotbird or Astra?

Any suggest/help appreciated.

Tks & K/Rgds

Mario

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
1) i find @ Catseye lists to be the best by far => http://www.sat-universe.com/showpost.php?p=2036908978&postcount=215

2) Find Due South usually Dish is Set up
@ Intelsat 10-02 / Thor 5 / Thor 6 / Thor 7 (0.8°W)
i use Sky News International 12418 H 28000 DVB-S
FTA Channel and peak signal best you can @ 0.8°W
a cheap manual beeper and/or Compass APP for mobile Phone
There is some really good phone Apps that will help you obtain signal or at least get you the general direction to point at once you get that much done move dish around to see how well you track the Arc you should get 42E - 30W unless you have some obstructions blocking your signal ? .

3) Thanks @ William-1 this is done for you => http://www.sat-universe.com/showpost.php?p=2036894299&postcount=57

4) Yes paying TV License is something you will need to do , unless you want a large fine its the Law
i'm afraid and u wont find anyone that will advise you to break the law i'm afraid .

Also viewing pay tv channels without a valid sub is considered a major crime too [ i personally could care less however :D )
but many people have got away very light with murder and worse... but failing to pay TV License these days is a far greater crime apparently :eek:

5) Hotbird has more Eng language FTA so for that reason i say Hotbird 13°EAST : )

hope that answered most of your questions ?
Good luck : )