T90 dish + 16 LNBs [15 Twin + 1 Quadro] + 2x Centauri 16/1 switches!!!

gorski

Well Known Member
T90 dish + Gib 1.5m + 16 Quad LNBs + 4x Centauri 16/1 switches!!!

My setup, if it helps...

EDIT: I have edited the title of this thread, since my setup has changed, so the latest stuff is of course at the bottom of the thread... :D

=========MY first T90 setup============

Pay attention if you have a flat roof and you can not drill into anything, plus there is no strong chimney!!!

16SmartOxidandTitaniumTwinLNBswith2Centauri16in1SwitchesonToroidal90cmdish_7.jpg

This solution [with two "palettes"/wooden base used for transporting packed goods - is quite elegant. Just
-nail it [strongly connect one with the other, maybe with screws, even] together, then
-secure it additionally with some weight, if there is strong wind, where you live, other than
-connect it, using a metal tape, running all around other constructions on the roof and palettes.

16SmartOxidandTitaniumTwinLNBswith2Centauri16in1SwitchesonToroidal90cmdish_5.jpg

16SmartOxidandTitaniumTwinLNBswith2Centauri16in1SwitchesonToroidal90cmdish_2.jpg

16SmartOxidandTitaniumTwinLNBswith2Centauri16in1SwitchesonToroidal90cmdish_4.jpg

I reckon one should also paint it with a water-proof sealant, against rotting, to protect it against the elements [rain and snow]. So, start doing that at least a day before you want to install your dish!

Now, the details of what you will see on these images:

-2 x wooden base to place it securely on, plus

-some metal tape to secure it around some fixed objects on the roof, using screws going right through it, into the wood/brick/etc.

-1 x Toroidal 90cm dish

-13 x Smart Oxid Twin and
-2 Smart Titanium Twin LNBs [2 cables going out of each LNB to 1 Twin tuner receiver or 2 single tuner recs] +
-1 Quadro LNB [4 cables running from it, as I need an additional cable for my subscription, official receiver]

-2 x Centauri 16in1 Switches [only 2 cables running from them to my flat - 1 for each Sat TV tuner]

16SmartOxidandTitaniumTwinLNBswith2Centauri16in1SwitchesonToroidal90cmdish_6.jpg

16SmartOxidandTitaniumTwinLNBswith2Centauri16in1SwitchesonToroidal90cmdish_8.jpg

Advantages:

-instant switching from one satellite to another, no waiting
-no noise to move from one to the other
-wife happy, as she doesn't need to either remember what's where or wait... :D
-neighbours happy as I am not waking them up as I surf the skies in the dead of the night, not to mention the wife... :lol:
-possibilities of recording not only from 2 different transponders but from completely different satellites

One could put 16 Quad or even Octo LNBs, of course... either for more receivers or even sharing with neighbours...

I have the following 19 satellite positions, here is Scandiland, with 16 LNBs:

16. 30° West
15. 24.5° West
14. 18° West
13. 15° West
12. 12.5° West
11. 8°[I can not get +7° in Scandiland with my equipment but elsewhere it might be possible!] West
10. 5°+4° West
9. 1° West°
8. 4°+5° East
7. 7° East
6. 9°+10° East
5. 13° East
4. 16° East
3. 19.2° East
2. 23.5° East
1. 28.2°+28.5° East

One has to add the transponders from one satellite position to another, manually but... it's well worth the effort, let me tell you... Cool to see it working!

I have almost all transponders on most of the big, important satellite positions, except some weaker ones on 28.2°+28.5° East, 4° and 8° West.

Some other TPs are missing on smaller satellite positions but I have loads and loads of channels, left, right and centre, so no probs...

Here is how you calculate your position, your central position, then your elevation etc.

One must be patient, to sort out all the angles right in all 3 dimensions... :cool:

Here is the online calculator, wherever you might be:

http://www.satlex.net/sv/wavefrontier_calc-params.html?satlo_east=28.2&user_satlo_east=&user_satlo_east_dir=E&satlo_west=-30.0&user_satlo_west=&user_satlo_west_dir=W&location=51.51%2C-0.08&la=51.51&lo=-0.08&country_code=uk

Just print your data and go... :D

Quite a treat, this setup... :thum:

Last edited:

gorski

Well Known Member
I forgot...

In E2 for AZbug HD I do the following, to configure this setup...

Configure Tuner -> "advanced" for 16 LNBs via DiSEqC 1.1 protocol & 16in1 switch.

Then, one changes only the following parameters:
LNB [1 -> 16]
DiSEqC mode [1.1]
Fast DiSEqC [yes]
Command order [uncommitted, committed, toneburst]
Uncommitted DiSEqC command [Input 1 -> 16, the same as above, your LNB numbers, as you chose above].

If you are using an original FW -> see my "Alternative Guide for AZbug HD"!

Good luck! :thum:

gorski

Well Known Member
I had some questions, regarding my setup, on PM - please, do it on the forum, so all can benefit and/or contribute...

One thing I can immediately respond to: this is 28'E - 30'W = 58 degrees span!

Forget what the specs say - you can do much more with this beast!

Check the website above for centre satellite position calculations.

Good luck!

anis_ber

Registered
Hi there
I saw your setup and Im impressed with it
I just got a T90, I wanna aim sats that have 47degree span, I know T90 has only 40degree span, but what I see in the rail is something different, it's got +/- 24, which is 48degree span
would that mean I have enough space and don't need extra lnb bracket for the extreme LNB?
or I should get lnb bracket, but here again which one I should get:
magic lnb bracket
or
germany lnb bracket

I guess you use the 2nd, I like the first better because you can play with the angles 360degrees, but Im not sure if it can be hooked to the rail

Thx for the input

gorski

Well Known Member
Mine goes from 23'E to 24'W on the rail of the dish itself, without any extras...

So, you should be OK with 47' and no additional rails.

Just get some narrow LNBs, I think, for less than 3' difference between satellite positions.

Good luck and do tell... ;)

Pheonix

hi gorski . could you give me a copy of your satellites.xml file you use with this setup ?. I would be very interested to see how you combined 9.0 east and 10.0 east into one location.

many thanks Pheonix.

gorski

Well Known Member
Hi, m8!

I must clarify, as things have changed in the meantime, you see...

In AZbox HD OFW I must do that - add manually various transponders of, say, 9'E into 10'E TP list.

However, in E2 I just put the same settings/the same LNB in Tuner Configuration for both satellite positions...

I use Dual Boot now, i.e. both OFW and E2, as both have various advantages over the other...

That's all, folks... ;)

Last edited:

Pheonix

ok cool, i get you now.

some one asked me how to combine the.xml to allow them to receive both 9 and 10 east on the same lnb. so your saying to leave the .xml file as is and assign the same lnb to both locations.

many thanks.

gorski

Well Known Member
Depends what you mean...

I have 2x16/1 Centauri and each feeds one tuner, with a single cable coming out of it. They are not connected. Two cables go to my living room. (Plus one more from the quad LNB, of course... but that's beside the point.)

If you want to put those two 8x1 multi-switches together, I guess you will need another switch, to get just one cable out, into your single tuner.

Cheers!

gorski

Well Known Member
ok cool, i get you now.

some one asked me how to combine the.xml to allow them to receive both 9 and 10 east on the same lnb. so your saying to leave the .xml file as is and assign the same lnb to both locations.

many thanks.

No probs, man.

I have a tree problem in summer, here - but moving soon and hoping for better - so I can't test it now...

However, when I tried E2 a while back it worked...

A, wait: on Sirius (4.8) there is a similar situation - I also have Al-Jazeera Children and Baraem channels on the next sat (4'E)! It works! ;)

Pheonix

just a small update, this is the kind of thing i was talking about. this is a satellites.xml i made for some one else to cover 9.0 east and 10.0 east from one location.

The so called merge xml method.

gorski

Well Known Member
What did you do, m8? Add the transponders from one to the other?

In an editor and if so, which one?

ta! ;)

Pheonix

i edited used notepad +++ to edit the file.
first i removed the headers from both loacations

<sat name="Eurobird 9A/Eutelsat Ka-Sat (9.0E)" flags="0" position="90">
<sat name="Eutelsat W2A (10.0E)" flags="0" position="100">

and replaced them with this one i created
<sat name="Eurobird 9A/Eutelsat Ka-Sat(9.0E)/Eutelsat W2A (10.0E)" flags="0" position="90">

i then just merged the transponder data for both locations into one location under the custom header i created. works well from the reports i have had.

gorski

Well Known Member
I sold my old dish (see above) and now I have to do it all over again...

But this time the difficulty is that I am forbidden to drill into anything...

So, here it goes, this time around the chimney (let's pray it's strong and sound, capable of supporting this beast and the wind that rules where I am)...

So, the alleged winning combination, in pieces is...

T90 (see the clever logo "Just by one" :D )...

...with its own, special, extra LNB holders (14 in all)...

...and 16 Smart-electronics.de Titanium LNBs...

More to follow... ;)

Last edited:

gorski

Well Known Member
Sooo...

Smart Titanium LNBs (12 x Twin and 4 x Quad)

Centauri multi-switches (see the funny misspelling, hehe...:D )

-1 x 4in1 (for a single tuner hobby receiver)

-2 x 16in1 (for a family twin tuner, all-in-one, media centre to come...)

Stay tuned...;)

gorski

Well Known Member
The best coax cable is here - 130dB, plus an image of the dish...:cool:

The saga continues... 'Till we sort it all out...:thum:

gorski

Well Known Member
Roughly speaking, the next bit one needs, if one is not allowed to drill into anything, is the chimney mast support:

-2 double mast holders, which go onto diagonal corners of the chimney,
-connected by some wide metal tape (double lashings) and
-a mast itself, of course...

Stack-Strap.gif

A bit stronger for T90, methinx... :D

chimney_mount_text_3a.jpg

So, similar to this but longer, wider, stronger...

CB1A.jpg

In effect, close to this but as I said above, plus two wide metal tapes around the chimney...

chimney%20kit.jpg

The principle:

CM-2012_medlrg.jpg

Lots of such holders here:

Code:
http://www.mtduk.tv/cat-downloads/Bits-Bobs-Cat-2011-web.pdf
Here is the chimney itself, some 10-11 bricks hight to work with...

Professionals, what say you, can it be done and resist strong gusts of wind?!?

RimaNTSS

gorski said:
T90 dish + 16 LNBs [15 Twin + 1 Quadro] + 2x Centauri 16/1 switches!!!
Nice setup. Do you really use Quadro LNB? Or it is Quad? Do not you feel that at least for 4,8*E-7*E-9*E those LNBs you are using are not good enough? I mean those are having too big diameter front parts. My last findings are SHARP LNBs with 40mm body diameter.