Tennis News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ferrer survives Suzuki scare
Roddick, Gasquet, Gonzalez and Del Potro all advance

Top seed and defending champion David Ferrer survived an early scare before ousting home favourite Takao Suzuki to clinch his place in the quarter finals of the Japan Open.

The Spaniard, who was also taken to three sets by Jesse Levine on Tuesday, was forced to come from a set down against his Japanese opponent before eventually running out a 4-6 6-3 6-2 victor.

Having beaten 15th seed Simone Bolelli in the previous round and come close to a shock win over Roger Federer in the same tournament two years ago, Suzuki looked on course for another big result as he took advantage of some early sloppiness from Ferrer.

The world number 593 closed out the opening set with a big serve down the middle much to the delight of the partisan crowd.

However, Ferrer - chasing a spot at the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai - raised his game in the second and having edged a break ahead served out to square the match.

Back on level terms the world number five looked far more assured and made his extra quality count as he secured two breaks of the Suzuki serve.

He eventually wrapped up the contest after an hour and 20 minutes with a scorching ace, but admitted he had struggled to deal with his opponent early on.

"Takao surprised me," Ferrer stated after the match. "He serves and volleys well but once I broke in the second set I got more confidence.

"The third set was easier. It was a very tough match but I fought with my mind. That's the important thing at the difficult moments."
Tough assignment

Ferrer faces a tough assignment in the next round as he takes on in-form Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro who looked in awesome form as he brushed aside the challenge of Jarkko Nieminen with a 6-1 6-3 straight sets win.

Richard Gasquet produced an equally impressive showing as he dumped out another home hope, Kei Nishikori, also in straight sets.

Nishikori had looked a dangerous opponent for the Frenchman, but his run came to an abrupt halt as Gasquet reeled off a string of winners to record a 6-1 6-2 triumph.

Roddick impresses

Andy Roddick was another to progress in straight sets although he was made to work rather harder by Austrian Jurgen Melzer before sealing a 7-6 6-2 success.

German veteran Rainer Schuettler continued his run with a fine 6-3 7-6 6-4 win over eighth seed Mikhail Youzhny, while there were also victories for third seed Fernando Gonzalez and ninth seed Tomas Berdych who overcame Amer Delic and Tommy Robredo respectively.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Safina to face Venus
Third seed beats Pironkova, elder Williams sister awaits

Dinara Safina will play Venus Williams in the quarter-finals of the Porsche Grand Prix after both won in straight sets on Thursday.

Russian ace Safina beat Bulgarian qualifier Tsvetana Pironkova 6-1 7-6, racing through the first set before taking the second on an 8-6 tie-break.

It was the world number three's first match at the tournament after receiving a first-round bye and she now faces Wimbledon champion Williams, who served 12 aces as she brushed aside Kateryna Bondarenko 6-4 6-2 in just over an hour.

Williams was pleased with her display, saying afterwards: "I feel comfortable at this tournament.

"It's already a great result and I would love to improve on it."

Earlier, Safina's compatriot Nadia Petrova beat Patty Schnyder of Switzerland 6-4 6-1 to set up a quarter-final clash with China's Li Na, who was a surprise winner over world number one and top seed Serena Williams on Wednesday.
Jankovic on top

Jelena Jankovic, who will regain top spot in the world rankings on Monday, also made it through to the quarter-finals by beating Alona Bondarenko of Ukraine 6-2 6-0.

The Serbian, seeded second in Stuttgart, is to face Russia's Vera Zvonareva in the last eight. Zvonareva beat Marion Bartoli of France 6-2 6-0 earlier in the day.

Jankovic will replace Serena Williams as world number one in the updated rankings after Williams was beaten on Wednesday by China's Li Na.

"I am still waking up at 5am and staring at the ceiling, willing myself back to sleep," admitted Jankovic, who is suffering from jet lag after arriving from Beijing on Monday fresh from winning the China Open.

"I was the first at breakfast this morning and went back again later for a second helping.

"I am eating a lot to get over the jet lag because I am awake for so much of the day."

Russian world number four Elena Dementieva takes on Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in Friday's remaining quarter-final.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Serena stunned in Stuttgart
Swiss star wins in three sets to face Petrova in second round

Serena Williams' hopes of driving off with the Porsche Grand Prix in Stuttgart came to abrupt end when she was knocked out in the second round by Li Na.

The American succumbed 0-6 6-1 6-4 to her Chinese opponent to lose her opening match in the tournament.

It had looked like the recent US Open champion would cruise through when she raced through the opening set in just 21 minutes.

However, Li came to life after the early setback, putting Williams under increasing pressure before securing a shock result with an ace.

"I just started to make a lot of errors," admitted Williams afterwards. "I pretty much gave it to her, it was like I said: 'Here you go, you have a win today'.
Fought hard

"Maybe I started to doubt myself, I made a lot of mistakes which helps her cause. She played really well, especially in the third set where she just fought for everything."

Patty Schnyder continued her fine run of form by upsetting fifth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova in the first round action on Wednesday.

The 29-year-old Swiss player, who won her first title in three years in Bali this month, beat her Russian opponent 6-4 4-6 7-5 in two hours and five minutes.

She served strongly throughout to set up match-point and clinched victory when Kuznetsova's attempted backhand winner drifted wide.

Schnyder will now go on to face another Russian, Nadia Petrova in the second round after she beat Czech player Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-2 6-2.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Federer swerves Stockholm
US Open champion hopes to return before end of year

Roger Federer has withdrawn from next week's Stockholm Open in an effort to conserve his physical fitness.

The world number two, who lost the top ranking to Rafael Nadal earlier in the season, is taking an extended break following his recent exertions at the US Open, where he claimed his 13th Grand Slam title.

"I was always playing catch up after being diagnosed with mononucleosis at the beginning of the year," Federer said in a statement released by tournament organisers.

"I feel fortunate to be healthy again, but I want to remain at the top of the game for many more years to come and go after the number one ranking again.

"In order to do that, I need to get a proper rest and get strong again so that I am 100 percent fit for the remainder of the year or next year.

"At this point, I am not sure when I will be ready to play again, but I hope to be back at some point before the end of the year."

The Stockholm Open takes place from October 6-12, with world number seven David Nalbandian now the top seed.
Kooyong Classic

But looking to the future, Federer is set to play in the Kooyong Classic in January as part of his Australian Open preparations.

The Swiss ace missed last year's eight-man exhibition event with a stomach virus before then bowing out in the semi-finals of the opening grand slam to eventual champion Novak Djokovic.

World number nine Stanislas Wawrinka and number 10 James Blake are the only other top-10 ranked players so far confirmed for the event.

The field also includes Marat Safin, Marcos Baghdatis, Fernando Gonzalez and Ernests Gulbis.

Tournament director Colin Stubs, who has yet to decide who will fill the eighth place in the draw, said world number one Rafael Nadal planned to rest the week before the Australian Open.

"At the moment Nadal is probably going to do that, although he's got a fairly good reason, he's got some bad knee problems and he doesn't want to extend himself physically a week before a grand slam, which is fair enough," Stubs said.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Sharapova ends season
Russian ace to miss WTA Tour Championships in Qatar

Russian ace Maria Sharapova has ended her season after failing to regain full fitness from a shoulder injury which has sidelined her since August.

The former world number one will now miss the season-ending WTA Tour Championships, being held in Doha, Qatar for the first time from November 4-9.

She told her official website that while the injury was healing, she still needed more time to make absolutely certain so, along with her team, had decided not play again this term.

It is a disappointing end to a season which had started so brightly when the Russian won the Australian Open in January and regained the world number one spot.

But she lost in straight sets to Russian compatriot Alla Kudryavtseva in the second round at Wimbledon and - after her shoulder injury worsened - she was forced to withdraw from the Beijing Olympics and the US Open.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ferrer survives Suzuki scare
Roddick, Gasquet, Gonzalez and Del Potro all advance

Top seed and defending champion David Ferrer survived an early scare before ousting home favourite Takao Suzuki to clinch his place in the quarter finals of the Japan Open.

The Spaniard, who was also taken to three sets by Jesse Levine on Tuesday, was forced to come from a set down against his Japanese opponent before eventually running out a 4-6 6-3 6-2 victor.

Having beaten 15th seed Simone Bolelli in the previous round and come close to a shock win over Roger Federer in the same tournament two years ago, Suzuki looked on course for another big result as he took advantage of some early sloppiness from Ferrer.

The world number 593 closed out the opening set with a big serve down the middle much to the delight of the partisan crowd.

However, Ferrer - chasing a spot at the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai - raised his game in the second and having edged a break ahead served out to square the match.

Back on level terms the world number five looked far more assured and made his extra quality count as he secured two breaks of the Suzuki serve.

He eventually wrapped up the contest after an hour and 20 minutes with a scorching ace, but admitted he had struggled to deal with his opponent early on.

"Takao surprised me," Ferrer stated after the match. "He serves and volleys well but once I broke in the second set I got more confidence.

"The third set was easier. It was a very tough match but I fought with my mind. That's the important thing at the difficult moments."
Tough assignment

Ferrer faces a tough assignment in the next round as he takes on in-form Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro who looked in awesome form as he brushed aside the challenge of Jarkko Nieminen with a 6-1 6-3 straight sets win.

Richard Gasquet produced an equally impressive showing as he dumped out another home hope, Kei Nishikori, also in straight sets.

Nishikori had looked a dangerous opponent for the Frenchman, but his run came to an abrupt halt as Gasquet reeled off a string of winners to record a 6-1 6-2 triumph.
Roddick impresses

Andy Roddick was another to progress in straight sets although he was made to work rather harder by Austrian Jurgen Melzer before sealing a 7-6 6-2 success.

German veteran Rainer Schuettler continued his run with a fine 6-3 7-6 6-4 win over eighth seed Mikhail Youzhny, while there were also victories for third seed Fernando Gonzalez and ninth seed Tomas Berdych who overcame Amer Delic and Tommy Robredo respectively.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Serena gets injury kremlins
US Open champ snubs Moscow tournament

World number one Serena Williams will lose her top ranking on Monday after pulling out of the Kremlin Cup.

Moscow tournament organisers discovered on Friday that the 27-year-old will be unable to compete this year due to an ankle injury.

Williams reached the final in 2007, losing to Elena Dementieva, but the US Open champion has been forced to pull out after making a late decision on her fitness.

"My left ankle has been bothering me since the US Open and I need to take a break now to get it back to 100 percent," Williams said on the tournament's official website.
Goal

The American, who will relinquish the number one spot to Serbia's Jelena Jankovic when the new rankings are released, insists she is determined to return to the summit of women's tennis as soon as she is fit.

"I have played a lot this year and my body needs to recover. My goal is to try and get the number one ranking back.

"My only wish now is that with a week to 10 days of rest I can recover and be at my best for the Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha."

The women's field is the strongest in the 19-year history of the $2.3 million tournament, which starts on Monday, with eight of the world's top 10 players taking part.

Only Williams and world number six Maria Sharapova, who is nursing shoulder injury, are absent.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Peng pushed all the way
Chinese player wins in three sets to set up last-four clash with Lisicki

Top seed Shuai Peng was pushed all the way by Monica Niculescu as she reached the semi-finals of the WTA Tashkent Open on Friday.

The 22-year-old Chinese player had to come from a set down to beat the Romanian sixth seed 6-7 (6-8) 6-2 6-4 in two hours 52 minutes.

Niculescu took the first set on the tie-break after the players twice traded breaks.

But Peng - who is ranked 30 places above Niculescu in the WTA rankings, sitting in 40th place - broke twice in the second set to level.

She then moved up a gear and won the deciding set thanks to a more accurate game all round.

Her next opponent is fourth seed Sabine Lisicki of Germany after the 19-year-old also battled back from a set down to beat unseeded Urszula Radwanska of Poland 3-6 7-5 7-6 (7/4) in her quarter-final.

Third seed Sorana Cirstea beat 15-year-old Portuguese Michelle Larcher De Brito in straight sets 6-2 7-6 (7/5) to book her semi final place.

She will play fifth seed Magdalena Rybarikova, who saw off Ioana Ralu Olaru 6-1 6-2.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Ferrer falls to Del Potro
Defending champion KO'd by possible Davis Cup opponent

Juan Martin Del Potro put paid to David Ferrer's hopes of retaining his ATP Japan Open title with a straight sets win in their quarter-final clash.

The Argentine, seeded fifth, triumphed 6-1 7-5 and was always in control of the match after producing some blistering tennis in the first set.

Although Spaniard Ferrer did his best to battle back, managing a break of serve in the second, he was unable to level matters.

At 6-5 he lost his serve to surrender his grip on the crown he claimed last year, as well as slip further back in the race to qualify for Shanghai.

In contrast Del Potro, who needed just 27 minutes to win the first set, could put himself in contention for one of the eight spots at the season-ended Masters Cup with a fifth title of the season.
Mental preparation

"With Ferrer you never feel you have the edge," said the 20-year-old, who could well meet Ferrer again in next month's Davis Cup final.

"I've improved my mental preparation. I'm more positive now than before. That helped me put Ferrer away when he came back at me in the second set."

Ferrer admits he will struggle to clinch a place in China. Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have already qualified.

"I really don't care about Shanghai," said the world number five. "I think it's going to be hard for me to get there now."

Del Potro will now face fourth seed Richard Gasquet for a place in the final after the Frenchman beat German Rainer Schuettler 6-3 6-2.

Second seed Andy Roddick, fresh off a victory at the China Open, will face ninth seed Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic in the other semi-final.

Roddick breezed past Viktor Troicki of Serbia, 6-3 6-4 while Berdych pulled off a 6-0 6-4 upset win over third seed Fernando Gonzalez of Chile.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Jankovic books Venus date
Azarenka shocks Dementieva in last eight

Second seed Jelena Jankovic will take on sixth-ranked Venus Williams for a place in the final of the WTA Porsche Grand Prix in Stuttgart.

The Serb, who will knock Venus's sister Serena off the top of the world rankings on Monday, was forced to a pair of tie-breaks before overcoming seventh seed Vera Zvonareva of Russia.

Jankovic had to work hard for everything in a first set which took exactly an hour and had to break back the Russian to force the tie-break.

Both players showed their frustration at missed opportunities, but the Serb star found a weakness in Zvonareva's game and used the lob shot to devastating effect.
Accomplishment

The Russian made her frustration work for her by storming into a 2-0 lead early in the second, but Jankovic kept applying the pressure to eventually take the second on a another tie-break.

"That was a hard game, but I am pleased to be in the semi-finals," said Jankovic.

"It's a great accomplishment to be world number one and I don't know anyone who is not happy about being the best in the world at something.

"But the competition is still fierce and you have to keep winning."

Williams enjoyed an easier passage against third seed Dinara Safina, the American making just eight unforced errors as she outplayed the Russian 6-4 6-2.

The first set was a tight affair as Olympic silver medalist Safina matched Williams' powerful service game.

But the second was a different story as Safina struggled to make any impact as Williams showed her full array of shots to keep the Russian under constant pressure.

Olympic champion Elena Dementieva was earlier dumped out by Belarus teenager Victoria Azarenka.

The 19-year-old upset the fourth seed 7-6 3-6 6-1 after nearly three hours play to progress into the semi-finals in Stuttgart as she aims for her first tour title.

But she had to save a set point in the first set before holding her nerve to win the tie-break.

She then lost the second before thumping her opponent in the third when the Russian made too many errors, allowing Azarenka to race to a 5-0 lead.

Dementieva then saved three match points to win her first game but subsequently made two straight errors and put a backhand into the net to lose.
Kept fighting

Azarenka was delighted with her victory, saying: "I just kept on fighting.

"She is such a good opponent, I had to fight for every ball, but my legs are pretty dead now."

Azarenka also reached the semi-finals of the Berlin Open in May, where she lost to Dinara Safina after carrying a leg injury.

"I think I have to come to Germany more often," she joked.

The teenager will now play Nadia Petrova - who won the event in 2006 - in Saturday's semi-final. The unseeded Russian beat China's Li Na 6-2 6-3 in their quarter-final.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Berdych to meet Del Potro
Roddick, Gasquet make semi-final exits in Tokyo

Andy Roddick crashed out of the Japan Open, beaten in three sets by Tomas Berdych in their semi-final.

The American, seeded second at the Tokyo event, went down 6-7 (3-7) 7-5 7-6 (7-3) to Berdych, who will face Juan Martin Del Potro in Sunday's final.

Roddick, who is still chasing a spot in the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup, fired 10 aces on the way to taking the first set in a tie-break.

Ninth seed Berdych stormed back in the second, breaking Roddick's serve in the 11th game and serving out for the set 7-5.

Roddick led 3-0 in the decider but faltered when serving for the match at 5-3 and was made to pay.

Berdych forced another tie-break and it was again the Czech player who proved stronger, racing 6-1 ahead before sealing the win on the third match point with his 17th ace.

"They key was just trying to stay as close as possible to him," said Berdych.

"Even at 5-3 down it was only one break. When my chances came I just went for it."

Del Potro awaits in the final after the fifth seed saw off Frenchman Richard Gasquet 6-3 4-6 7-5.

The in-form Argentinian has won 29 of his last 30 matches and is chasing his fifth title of the season.

khurramdar

Registered
Roddick seals win for States Americans ease into quarter-finals

Roddick seals win for States
Americans ease into quarter-finals

Last updated: 8th March 2009

34dh92t.jpg

Andy Roddick clinched victory for the United States in their Davis Cup World Group tie with Switzerland, beating Stanislas Wawrinka to give his team an unassailable 3-1 cushion.

The 32-time champions will take on Croatia in the quarter-finals in July after Roddick eased to a 6-4 6-4 6-2 success in just over two hours on Sunday.

"It's really an honour, we have a great team," said the world number six. "We really play for each other."

Roddick was never troubled by number 16 Wawrinka, who was treated on his left shoulder after losing serve in the third game of the second set.

He admitted the victory, which moved him past Andre Agassi as the second most successful American in Davis Cup behind John McEnroe, was a significant one.

"I'm kind of a nerd about the history of our sport," he said. "It was kind of in the back of my mind. There's probably a few moments in your career where you can sit back and be a little impressed.

"When you get mention Andre, who I grew up watching ... Andre was always the guy that every one leaned on to come through.

"To kind of surpass him now is extremely surreal, but it's definitely one of those fun moments also."

James Blake made amends for his defeat on the opening day, defeating Marc Chiudinelli 6-4 7-6 in the dead rubber, the Swiss saving two match points before losing the tie-break 8-6.

Switzerland were missing world number two Roger Federer, who did not play due to a back injury, but is due to return this week at the Masters event at Indian Wells, California.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Soderling edges semi thriller
Super Swede secures first Grand Slam final appearance

Robin Soderling's dream run at Roland Garros continued as he outlasted Fernando Gonazlez in a five-set thriller to book his place in the final of the French Open.

The Swede, who put out defending champion Rafael Nadal, had looked on course for a comfortable passage as he bludgeoned his way through the opening two sets with a series of thumping groundstrokes that have become his trademark at this year's tournament.

But Gonzalez bravely stayed with his opponent and, having pinched a tight third set, grew in confidence as errors began to creep into Soderling's game.

Indeed, having levelled the match at two sets all, the Chilean looked poised for his second Grand Slam final appearance as he pulled out to a 4-1 lead in the decider.

But Soderling showed remarkable composure and belief to secure consecutive breaks, reeling off five straight games to complete a memorable 6-3 7-5 5-7 4-6 6-4 triumph that sees him take his place in Sunday's final.

The number 23 seed endured a sticky start as Gonzalez claimed an early break in the first set to lead 2-1, but having settled into the match he soon hit his stride and took five of the next six games, securing the first set when the South American sent a forehand long.

Gonzalez was then forced to fend off a break point in the first game of the second set as Soderling's punishing forehand continued to wreak havoc.
Clinging on

Indeed, the 12th seed was clinging on for long spells, but fought bravely to hold on to his serve and, having done so, forced a set point at 5-4 only to see Soderling save it with a service winner.

The Swede then forced three break points of his own in the next game as Gonzalez fell 0-40 down, and although he rallied to deuce two forehand errors handed his rival the game.

Soderling took full advantage and served out to move two sets clear as Gonzalez dumped a forehand into the net.

At that stage the Chilean cut a dispirited figure, but he roused himself and crucially managed to stave off a break point in the fifth game of the third set.

The set then stayed on serve until Gonzalez led 6-5 when Soderling's ultra-reliable forehand coughed up two errors to gift his opponent a break, the set and a passage back into the match.

Crucial hold

Gonzalez was made to work hard to hold serve in his opening service game of the fourth with Soderling unable to convert any of his three break point opportunities.

A disputed line-call at 15-0, 4-4 then served to further fire up the South American who produced a bizarre protest at the line-call as he sat down and on top of the supposed mark and spun himself around.

However, it seemed to affect Soderling more than Gonzalez who held on to serve and took full advantage in the next game, closing out the set as the Swede first netted a backhand and then sent a forehand long.

With the momentum seemingly squarely with Gonzalez, it was no surprise to see him clinch an early break to streak 3-0 clear in the final set.

That became 4-1 and Soderling looked increasingly bereft of hope, but the Swede produced a remarkable turnaround as he broke back with a scorching forehand return winner.

Having held serve he then forced further break points in Gonzalez's next service game and converted the third with an fearsome backhand return.

The South American battled bravely to stay alive, but Soderling held his nerve and closed out the match fittingly with a booming forehand.

sky star 2

Super VIP
No Queen's repeat for Rafa
Nadal battling to be fit for Wimbledon defence

Rafael Nadal is facing a race against time to be fit for Wimbledon after withdrawing from the AEGON Championships at Queen's.

The Spaniard has been advised to rest by doctors because of his ongoing knee problems.

Nadal won at Queen's last year after arriving just a day after lifting a fourth consecutive French Open title, before going to win Wimbledon for the first time.

The 23-year-old defeated great rival Roger Federer in an epic final and is determined to return to SW19 later this month to defend the title.

"I have been having some problems in the past months with my knees, that's no secret, that have not allowed me to always compete at 100%," he said.

"I need to work with my team to recover well, work on my physical condition to be at my top form and get ready for the grass to play at Wimbledon. I hope I can be ready to compete by then.

"I am very disappointed to miss Queen's, and not defend the title I won last year. I enjoy playing there in front of the very knowledgeable British crowds."

Tournament director Chris Kermode said: "He has been a huge favourite with the crowds here at The Queen's Club over the past three years.

"No-one is more disappointed than Rafa himself, but his health must come first.

"For the past three years he has played his heart out here only a couple of days after winning the French Open, so we know that he has not taken this decision lightly."

British number one Andy Murray will now be the highest-ranked player in the tournament starting on Monday, while former world number ones Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin will all compete.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Gasquet denies drug use
Suspended player vows to clear his name

Suspended French tennis star Richard Gasquet has vehemently denied ever taking cocaine.

The 22-year-old former Wimbledon semi-finalist tested positive for the substance at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami, a result confirmed by his B sample.

He has been provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Federation and faces a two-year ban from the sport if he does not manage to clear his name.

But Gasquet says he has never taken cocaine and insists he will do whatever it takes to prove that he is innocent.

"I have never, ever, ever taken cocaine in my life," he told French newspaper L'Equipe.
Suspicion

"I understand the suspicion but I will repeat as many times as is necessary: I have never taken this stuff. On the circuit, no-one takes it. When I have to take an aspirin, I call the doctor 10 times to be sure I can.

"I would like to be on court and not with the lawyers, but there is no choice. It will take as long as it has to, I will fight until the end."

Gasquet pulled out of the Miami tournament with a shoulder injury and went to a club on the night of his withdrawal where he sat at a table with a number of others.

Although he claims he did not know that the substance was being passed around the table, he says he has since learned that people close to him had it in their possession.

"I didn't see anything and neither did my coach. If we had seen something, we would have left immediately," he added.

"I now know one important thing - one of the people there that night told me cocaine was being passed round our table.

Trace

"As it is a tiny quantity which was found in my urine - a trace which I have since learned is the equivalent of a tenth of a line - anything is possible.

"I know what didn't happen, I repeat: I never took cocaine."

The Frenchman also revealed how the positive test has left him in a distressed mental state.

Gasquet said: "It felt like I was in a film. It was hard to live through. I couldn't go out into the street. I stayed at home. It was terrible.

"Each time I turned the television on, I heard someone talking about it. I could have smashed the TV.

"But I will return. I am only 22. My career is still ahead of me."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Safina out to prove a point
Russian wants to show the world she's number one

Dinara Safina believes victory in the final of the French Open on Saturday will silence her detractors who say she does not deserve her status as the world's number one.

The Russian has dominated the women's clay-court season with 19 wins out of 20 matches, her only defeat being by her opponent at Roland Garros - Svetlana Kuznetsova - in Stuttgart.

Her form has taken her to the top of the rankings after losing the Australian Open final to Serena Williams earlier in the year, her second Grand Slam final defeat following defeat to Ana Ivanovic 12 months ago.

"Since I became number one in the world (in April), I've been playing in finals and winning titles so how much more proof do I need to give people that I deserve that spot?

"The way I'm playing, I think it shows that I deserve this spot."

She will start favourite to clinch her first Major title against the seventh seeded Kuznetsova, who has the edge in experience after winning the US Open in 2004 and finishing second in Paris two years later.

"I wouldn't say that I was nervous last year - I just think I was tired overall because I had such a tough draw and I had to pull out so many matches," said the 23-year-old.

"This year I've spent much less time on the court so I'm much fresher. I hope this time I will do it."

In what many pundits will see as a battle of nerves between two Russian women known to falter when it comes to the crunch, Kuznetsova admits her mental approach will prove key to her chances of winning.

"To control my nerves, I have to loosen up," she said. "I want to just go out there and enjoy it. Lately, I have not been enjoying that much the finals I've played, except in Stuttgart when I won. I was thinking too much about everything.

"Even in my matches here, in the semis and the quarters, it was getting to my mind a little, but I didn't let it in. So I was just enjoying it.

"I have nothing to lose out there. It's even on clay. But it's a new match, a completely different day. It doesn't matter if I'd won 15 times before or if she'd won 15 times before."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Kuznetsova battles into final
Russian bookes date with compatriot Safina

Svetlana Kuznetsova set up an all Russian women's final at the French Open as she claimed a hard-fought 6-4 6-7 (7-5) 6-3 triumph over Australian Sam Stosur.

The number seven seed will now face compatriot Dinara Safina in Saturday's final with the top seed having seen off Dominika Cibulkova earlier on Thursday.

Kuznetsova looked on course for a straight sets win as she moved 5-2 up in the second set tie-break having won the first.

However, Stosur produced a spirited fightback, reeling off five straight points to force a decider.

But she could not maintain that momentum in the third set and, having moved a break clear in the sixth game, Kuznetsova held her nerve to seal victory in a little under two and half hours.
Tense

But while, tense and certainly gripping at times, the match was never quite the classic the scoreline suggested with both players throwing in a number of unforced errors.

Kuznetsova was always in control of the first set and broke her opponent three times on the way to taking it, but Stosur competed bravely to ensure the Russian was not able to pull away.

But it was Kuznetsova who took charge of the second as well and a break up at 4-2 she looked well on the way to a routine triumph.

But Stosur then found a more aggressive edge and increased accuracy with her groundstrokes to hit back with a break of her own.

Indeed, Kuznetsova was made to work hard when serving at 4-5 and 5-6 down to stay in the set, but having done so she looked to have taken a decisive 5-2 lead in the ensuing tie-break.

But looking defeat squarely in the eyes, Stosur produced her most composed tennis of the match and won five consecutive points to take the contest all the way.

After losing the breaker Kuznetsova went for an extended comfort break, but the time out did the trick as the Russian, serving first, always held the upper hand in the decider.

The crucial break arrived in the sixth game and while Stosur bravely held her service at 2-5 down to stay in the match, she was unable to break in the next as Kuznetsova closed out victory when her opponent netted a forehand.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Safina books final spot
Top seed through after straight sets victory

Dinara Safina dug in to book her place in the French Open final with a straight sets win over Dominika Cibulkova.

The top-seeed Russian, who was beaten by Ana Ivanovic in the 2008 final at Roland Garros, was forced to fight harder than the 6-3 6-3 score suggests.

However Safina was able to edge out Cibulkova to end the Slovakian's impressive run in Paris.

Cibulkova had broken Safina in the opening game to lead 2-0, however the Russian hit back in decisive fashion, rattling off five games on the bounce.

The diminutive 20th seed pulled the score back to 5-3 but she could do little to stop Safina wrapping up the first set in 49 minutes.

Safina was forced to fight all the way in the second set as Cibulkova, who had beaten Maria Sharapova in the last eight, tried to level the match, however the Slovakian was guilty of wasting five break points.

And 23-year-old, who lost to Serena Williams in this year's Australian Open final, kept alive her hopes of a first Grand Slam title by taking her second match point.

Safina will now face either Svetlana Kuznetsova or Sam Stosur in the final.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pressure is on Federer
Tensions build as Swiss ace closes in on 14th Grand Slam

Roger Federer may have collected 13 Grand Slam titles during a glittering career, however the Swiss has admitted he is feeling the pressure at the French Open.

Three times Federer has reached the final at Roland Garros, but still the title remains the one Grand Slam to be missing from his trophy-laden cabinet.

However with Rafael Nadal, his conqueror in each of his final appearances in Paris, having already been knocked, and Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic also sent packing, Federer may never have a better chance to complete the set.

Victory over Gael Monfils means Federer now faces fifth seed Juan Martin del Potro in the last four - and the 27-year-old knows he will have to control his nerves.

"We're all nervous at this stage - I felt it in the warm-up," he said.

"I was tired, I was nervous and I didn't really feel good.

"The whole story of Nadal losing, Murray losing, Djokovic losing, the draw opening up a little bit; it obviously plays with your mind.

"But it doesn't matter if I'm zero nervous or 100 per cent nervous. I know I'll always play a decent match in the quarter-finals of a grand slam."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Kuznetsova sees off Serena
Russian knocks out second seed to reach the last four in Paris

Svetlana Kuznetsova saw off Serena Williams in a three-set thriller in Paris to book her place in the semi-finals of the French Open.

The Russian triumphed 7-6 (7-3) 5-7 7-5 at the end of a gruelling encounter that spanned two hours and 47 minutes at Roland Garros.

Williams did her best to keep alive her hopes of winning the tournament for a second time, bouncing back from losing the first set on a tie-break.

However, Kuznetsova eventually clinched the victory in a nervy decider, the success being only her second over the American in seven meetings.
Semi showdown

Her impressive win on Suzanne Lenglen court sets up a showdown with 30th seed Samantha Stosur for a place in the women's final.

"It was a very tough match," the 2006 runner-up said after joining compatriot Dinara Safina in the last four. "I'm very proud that I pushed myself and fought for the third set.

"She's a great champion. I respect her. Neither of us played great today but we both fought hard. I was lucky."

In both the first and second sets Kuznetsova managed early breaks of serve to take command, only for Williams to come storming back.

The second seed forced a tie-break after being 3-0 down in the first, one she would eventually lose, and then trailed 4-1 and 5-3 in the second, Kuznetsova letting her off the hook when she failed to serve out for the match.

Momentum

Williams proceeded to win the next three games in a row to level matters and then, with momentum on her side, opened up a 3-1 advantage in the third.

But the 2002 champion was broken again to see parity restored and, after already saving two match points on her own serve, succumbed when a tired backhand went well wide in thr 12th game.

"In the third set, I had an opportunity and I got really tight. And I pretty much gave it to her," said a disappointed Williams afterwards.

"It was like I said, 'Here, do you want to go to the semis? Because I don't'. And she was like, 'Okay'."