Motorised alignment from scratch

billchad

Registered
Hi Bill here, is there any stickies on here about how to set up or more to the point, align my motor and satellite dish to get on the ~Arc and start scanning. I've got a TM 5402 which obviously can pick up satellites if i move it about in motorised setting, i.e..28% as my neighbour set it up on that, but i think he's missed out step one (due south first)
The first question which will no doubt indicate what a novice i am is 'when finding south' do i point the motor aswell as the dish south, or do i leave the motor as it is 'centralised' on the vertical poll, pointing south east at the mo, and just move the dish into the south position, then find 'THOR' and then hopefully move it to another satellite in motorised setting.
I think i know the rest once it on the arc.

Many thanks

GasheadHarry

Registered
You want to use 0.8w to set the arc up properly. The motor should be a touch off this aimed at true south. The markings on the motor should help you. Make sure you've got the right long and lat figures too as this can also throw the arc off.

Brummie

Staff member
Administrator
you need to drive the motor to 0 manually with the button underneath it or the receiver and the dish and the motor needs to be pointing dead south first, if the dish is on the arch ok just nudge 1- 2 steps west and you should hit thor.

a strong transponder for Thor-6 @ 0.8 west 10778 H 24500 BBC World News

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
For me in Eire i must align my dish on 5 West in order for it to track the Arc properly , i have 5 motorised dishes all set up on 5W and tracking perfectly .
but for UK location Thor-6 @ 0.8 west is correct to set up on
Good luck : )

manic01

Super VIP
Only if using diseqc do y ou need to use 1w in uk 5w in eire.
On usals you can use any sat then just fine tune.
Thats if kit is set to correct elevation and plumb on bracket etc

Gerry55

Registered
To find the satellite that is due south of you use Dishpointer, put your postcode in then look for a sat that is 180 Degrees from you start with Thor.

In my case it was Amos3, but I used Eutelsat5 at 5 west with more channels to chose from.