New to this - looking for feedback on my setup

Sun_Dance_Kid

Registered
Hi all, have been religiously browsing the forum and soaking it all up, and have found all the threads very helpful. Just about to pull the trigger on buying everything and setting it up, but before that was hoping I could get a bit of feedback from you satellite wizards!

I'm aiming for a motorized setup that I can control from my computer. If my understanding's correct, I'll need the dish, connected to a TV tuner PCI card and then DVB dream running on my PC. Here's what I think I'm going for:

Dish: 80cm+ - either the TD110 or TD88
Motor: Technomate TM-2600
LNB: TM-1 Gold
Receiver/Tuner: TBS DVB-S2 (http://shop.tbsdtv.com/tbs8922-pci-dvbs2-tv-tuner-card-p-39.html?cPath=1)

The biggest question mark I have is with regards to the PC receiver tuner. I'm more than happy to invest in a good setup, and wasn't able to find anything on the merits of PCI vs PCIe vs USB and DVB-S2 and all that. I saw on DVB Dream's website that they recommended the TBS brand, and so I started from there, but any nudge or recommendations would be appreciated.

Another question I'd ask is what are the requirements for the PC? Is receiving a feed quite CPU/GPU intensive? Will I need a decent setup with regards to graphics card/RAM etc. On top of this, am I correct in thinking that I can control where the satellite points from a setting within the DVB Dream program?

If it helps, I'm currently located in London, UK.

All help appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: