Pre-match: Stoke V Man Utd (a) - Premier League

mohammed tanko

Super VIP
Pre-match: Stoke V Man Utd (a) - Premier League

by avenkat » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:27 pm
Toughest away match of the season so far.Stoke is never an easy place to go but United have had a good trip there over the past 3 seasons and have come away with all 3 points on every occasion..

David De Gea
I don't care what the media say,De Gea has got to start and Im certain he will.Lindegaard has proved he can do the goalkeeping job well as he did against Benfica.But I still think his distribution is still not quite as good as De Gea.Against Stoke,we need a keeper whose distribution is good.De Gea's is probably the best in the PL IMO.Stoke like to bomb men forward for set-pieces and throw-ins.Once they don't utilise it and the ball lands on our keeper's hand,we need him to distribute it nicely and ensure we counter-attack.With Van Der Sar,we did that well last season and managed a few counter attacks especially in the second half of that game.Hence,I think this is another main reason why De Gea should be in goal for this one

Defence
Sir Alex is known to use physical strength and height in defence for this fixture as he did last season too.Last season we played Neville,Ferdinand,Vidic and O'Shea in defence with Evra playing on the left side of midfield,doing an incredible job there in the process.This time it should be no different IMO but the problem is we don't have all our defenders fit.We have Vidic,Ferdinand(possibly,not sure about his availability) and now even Smalling out for this fixture.I was thinking last week we should play a defence of Smalling,Jones,Ferdinand and Evans in defence,all of them providing good physical presence.But now it seems it could be a defence of Valencia,Jones,Evans and Evra.That's not too shabby is it?

Midfield
With Cleverley still out,I wonder who will play alongside Anderson.That will be a certain question before every fixture until Cleverley returns for the Anfield game.I'm not too concerned as to who will play.Happy with either of Fletcher or Carrick playing there.But you can bet your life we'll be playing Nani and Young outwide and ensure we capatilise on lack of numbers for Stoke at the back when we counter attack.Young's set-piece delivery has helped us immensely already this season and we look a threat from those positions once again.Nani has looked a hugely improved player to me.He has improved his attacking prowess and also helps out in defence.

Forward
Young and Nani are playing so well that as long as they continue this,it will bring out the best in our forwards too.Rooney definitely benefits a lot from having players with pace around him.His start to the season justifies that.With Chicharito out I think Welbeck will start this game.He also has so much pace and does so much work for the team that has contributed to our attacking department.I fancy him to start alongside Rooney for this one.Glad to have him back quickly from his injury.

Starting lineup
DE GEA,

VALENCIA, JONES, EVANS, EVRA

NANI, CARRICK, ANDERSON, YOUNG

ROONEY AND WELBECK​

Substitutes:- Lindegaard, Fabio, Fletcher, Giggs, Park, Berbatov, Owen

I'd be delighted if Smalling makes a surprising comeback for this one.we really could use his physical presence,whether he plays at RB or CB.

Player to watch:- Phil Jones..He has barely put a foot wrong since making his debut and this will be a big test for him.Have 100% confidence in him to do well and help us not to concede a goal from Stoke's set-pieces and throw-ins.

Prediction:- Stoke 1-2 Man Utd