Messi wins Best Player in Europe award

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lionel Messi has won the Uefa Best Player in Europe Award for the second time after beating Luis Suarez and Cristiano Ronaldo to the prize.

The 28-year-old shone in the second half of last season as he inspired Barcelona to the treble, with the club lifting the Champions League, Copa del Rey and La Liga.

He was awarded the trophy after the group stage draw for this year's Champions League and thanked his team-mates in the aftermath of the event.

"It was an incredible year for us," he said. "I don't know if there's a secret, the dressing room was united and that made for an unforgettable year.

"Thanks to my team-mates, we are all represented. I wouldn't be here if not for them and the club."

Messi finished level on goals with Real Madrid star Ronaldo and Barcelona team-mate Neymar in Europe in 2014-15 - as all three men found the back of the net 10 times.

His Champions League haul helped him to a final tally of 62 goals in 67 games in all competitions for club and country, which means he is again likely to battle it out with Ronaldo for the Ballon d'Or in January.

Messi first won the Uefa Best Player in Europe Award back in 2011 on the back of helping the Catalans win yet another European crown.