What is the true way to measure dish size

aerosmith

Registered
Reason I ask this is that I have differenet opinions and various methods told me by others I'm not sure myself now! Simplified method as possible will be greatly appreciated for an offset dish please. Cheers to those with accurate knowledge as I thought I knew but know I'm not that sure myself now!

pedro2000uk

Registered
We put more emphasis on the area of a reflector, excluding any supporting rim for more reliable like for like comparisons, that is, width x height / 2 or the diagonal measure & ignoring varying advertised dish sizes. That one proves more reliable for 'comparison' tests.

Channel Master obviously noted the area measure too as being significant as they used it on model numbers, several other major manufacturers variously use the area measure, not consistently unfortunately, but we can impose it across the board to compare like for like & avoid the various reasons why sellers & manufacturers vary it.

The offset measure - only measuring the width & assuming that as the height or diameter of a circle in the offset angle for signal collection / reflection & what the lnb sees is not quite as reliable if you compare reflectors of the same width but with different heights/ offset angles.

Some will steadfastly insist that the offset measure is the only measure for offset dishes, I think a little too preoccupied with the basics of the offset principle without looking at how signal is actually collected/ reflected & received into the lnb & feedhorn, but it is still far better than relying on seller's various size claims.

After that it's how well designed & manufactured they are obviously.