signal problem in rain

satesco

Feed Hunter
Brummie said:
possibly a new lnb

Best lnb is a bigger dish :)@kami2k,Get rid of many problems of reception;of course,as you say,perfect adjustment of the antenna.

aerosmith

Registered
Rain ie cloudy conditions will cause reduced signal levels more evidently on weaker received sats you may be receiving. For example I can receive some transponders from Nilesat 101 but if it rains or alot of cloud cover occurs then these transponders are no longer receivable. Your only option providing your system is correctly aligned and you have a good lnb which is well credited by others is to simply install a larger satellite. Installing a low loss coax eg WF125 will increase your signal and quality level providing you don't already have this. Before anything else do check your installation first though.

aerosmith

Registered
well I am getting 100% SNR, but in rain it drops to %0 is it because of lnb?

That certainly sounds like that could be the the problem or potentially your f plugs are not adequately insulated with you saying this total loss of signal only happens in the rain. Check on these first and if you can loan an lnb off someone to test the lnb shorting out it will save you spending money just to check before necessary replacement. Also if you have a multimeter you should really remove all f plug connections and perform a short circuit test and partial short circuit test.

Last edited:

digi247

Registered
This could be also be down to water ingress in the cable and as mentioned F connectors not on correctly any loose shielding can knock the cable out completely

westonesat

Registered
a good range of posibble causes already given in these replys.
if it is down to water ingress try this;

ensure all f connecters and joints are also sealed with self amalgamating tape.start at the bottom (below f connector/cable joint) and wind tape tightly overlapping each turn, finnishing at the lnb itself.this should stop any water ingress.

anix000

Registered
on what satalite signal goes down?
what Elevation angle is on dish?
sometimes dekoder shows not corect procents. example my openbox s6, shows 82 procents ( is not corect) on x-800 shows less 40 procent (is corect)
sometimes, it self satalite signals are low, some decoders will show just like my openbox s6 ,good signal. (in rain will goes down)
example, i aligned 19E with s6, signal on it was perfect (89procent) in rain all was gone. then i aligned with x-800, signal works on strong rain.

arikippari

Registered
Here in northern Europe (I'm in Finland, Helsinki lat 60 N) the effect of rain or snow is quite strong.

Satellite signal can be easily absorbed in rain drops in Ku-band even 3 dB (-50%). Because elevation angle is low (20-10 degrees) signal goes through clouds longer trip than in places closer to equator. For me 80 cm dish is enough for clear sky (thas's how I started) but to watch in rainy or snowy weather I need ab 100 cm dish (or 110 cm like I have now).

I have been looking for research information concerning this - but so far nothing precise. This is probably one major obstacle of using (geostationary) satellites very widely in very north and in very south.

Any other experiences?

Last edited: