problems conectin dm7020 to the net

teddyboysampson

Registered
well picked up a dm7020 for the brother in law about six months ago and now he want to set it up, or should i say 30 minutes before a footy game lol

ok so we live about 150 miles apart so all advice has to be over the phone, he has a bt home hub but we were having no luck so i suggested connecting it to a lap top with a cross over cable to make it simple then he only has to put his ip of the dream box in dcc .think the image i put on was Nabilosat DM7020 v. 08 and it is on the hard drive . so a couple of questions

doing it this way he should have no problems ftp dream box keys ?

will he be able to access the downloads through his rc so he can update his cams ?

will he be able to use programs such as dream box edit and flash wizard pro ?

well i know you should really make one post and one question but hope some one can push me in the right direction and hopefully going to ring him this afternoon to give it another go.

thanks in advance

Teddy:thum:

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
The answer to 1 and 3 is yes. But 2 could be problematic. It is best to connect dreambox to a router. You might have problems getting internet connection to it if it is connected directly to PC, but still there should be way to do it. I tried that quite some time ago and can't remember details. But if you can do it any other way it would be better. At least dreambox won't need PC turned on to reach the net.

teddyboysampson

Registered
thanks Rocknroll

well looks like i am on the right track:thum:

well got a bit of a let off today as he left the cable in his shop, the problem i have is that he has a sky star card which i set up for him and this is a step up, he seen my 7000 working and he thinks that you can set it up from scratch in five minutes . first of all i want to get it working as it ain't no problem updating keys manually although i myself hate manually updating cams, once he gets it going then the next step is getting it connected to the bt hub.
in dcc when you use one of these do you count it as a router or a hub , all it must be is a glorified router or am i wrong

Rocknroll

Staff member
Administrator
Well I guess you should check switch/hub in DCC, if it doesn't have it's own IP I doubt you can pass it off as router.

teddyboysampson

Registered
sorry for not replying sooner to say thanks :thum:

bit of trouble with the pc , think going to have to format it

i will try to get him up and running then take in the Internet problem with the hub.

hook

Registered
Try to connect the directly to the router with dhcp enebled.
When it connects to internet connect it to the hub, or configure it manualy.

Much

Registered
I Think that is best to configure dreambox without DHCP, because if your router asign a new IP at evere reestart of the dream, have many problems to connect. Otherwise if you asign IP manually every time you know that is the correct IP for your Dream.

Tx

teddyboysampson

Registered
thanks for all the help

at the moment it is in my brother in laws hands , he has been given a great offer from a friend of mine to help him set the dream box up with his bt home hub, think his problem at the moment is he is snowed under in work as he just opened up a computer shop.