PowerVu Chat [only chat, don‘t post keys here]

tuvalo

Registered
So it can be stated that oscam development and "Robin Hood"-mindset is dead?? No more free stuff for people from poor countries. Really sad.

eaglevision993

Registered
So it can be stated that oscam development and "Robin Hood"-mindset is dead?? No more free stuff for people from poor countries. Really sad.

That is exactly how it it. I think the time of open source linux boxes is over anyway since those who can program the emulators sell their software to the dedicated China receiver companies.

OScam is dead, that is 99% safe to say.

cayoenrique

I know you are just crying to see if you get to push and get what you want. That is ok I guess.

But all what you are saying is wrongly said:
"oscam development.. is dead" That I know is alive. Only waiting for a champion like you, to submit next patch.

"Robin Hood"-mindset is dead??" I guess that equal Dreambox old horse. Alive for a decade and I bet you will survive another one on SD/HD transponders.

"No more free stuff for people from poor countries." This is a contradiction it self, as the new world economics rely on growth of "poor countries." That is where all manufacturing has moved on. Breaking and leaving jobless the so call Rich countries.

"open source linux boxes" Another contradiction as most Linux stb are closed source. It is Linux and Oscam the ones open.

"those who can program the emulators sell their software to the dedicated China receiver companies" It is this community fault. What was expected? If all smart guys that come to forums like this one, as soon as they post and present their ideas, they then get bombarded with negative comments. How many girlfriends you got from negatives comments. Nope it is the nice and funny comments the ones that keeps then around.

eaglevision993

Registered
Sorry but it is no secret that former developers of open source emulators changed their mind when companies offered them money under the requirement that they sell their software only to them instead of publishing them for for free and open source.

I am old enough to remember the day when ONLY Linux based boxed were capable of decrypting the networks.
Then came the cards like Cerebro and its successors.

PowerVu on Oscam is a perfect example. Implementing the Hash mode is an easy fix which is, indeed already implemented in NP versions.
But to keep selling the cheap China boxes it it is non public.

I am not criticizing this system since the cheap receivers acually work very well on what they are intended to do.

But future buyers must know that Linux based receivers are no longer of the value they were before. The price is just no longer justified when a receiver with a 1/10th of a price tag does the job better and has fast support.

nautilus7

VIP
As long as there are people willing to pay for something they used to get for free, then the death of open source is coming...

I have never paid, and never will, for a box just because it opens some channels now...

And what are you talking about 1/10th of the price?
These boxes cost 50-100 euros/dollars as YOU said while the enigma2 boxes start from 120-150 euros/dollars.

cayoenrique

Just to clarify we ALL are in same side, in general oscam open source and the good people that provide the patches.

I guess we all agree also that this use for 6 month throu away boxes is just bad idea in all respects. You are not happy because you do not want to pay extra. In the other hand there are a group like me that believe that they represent the end of the satellite TV hack. For the most part in the past, those providers ignored a few people using expensive Linux Boxes as they in fact did not threaten their finances. Now mass produce $20-$50 throu away receivers do threaten their finances. So they will be forced to move to more secure systems.

Were we disagree is in how day after day the community have less people willing to post their findings.

kebien

Registered
Sorry but it is no secret that former developers of open source emulators changed their mind when companies offered them money under the requirement that they sell their software only to them instead of publishing them for for free and open source.

I am old enough to remember the day when ONLY Linux based boxed were capable of decrypting the networks.
Then came the cards like Cerebro and its successors.

PowerVu on Oscam is a perfect example. Implementing the Hash mode is an easy fix which is, indeed already implemented in NP versions.
But to keep selling the cheap China boxes it it is non public.

I am not criticizing this system since the cheap receivers acually work very well on what they are intended to do.

But future buyers must know that Linux based receivers are no longer of the value they were before. The price is just no longer justified when a receiver with a 1/10th of a price tag does the job better and has fast support.

Who told you that?
nobody needs to pay oscam developers,since oscam is free and open.
I think you are trying to equal the people that have the information for an specific encryption to those that carry Oscam.
they are NOT the same people.
people that have the information can do with the information what they want,to sell it or to help freeware.
Always been the same.Nothing has changed.

it does look you are just trying to push chinese receivers over enigma 2 receivers,actually.
None of the conclusions you have made are true,is just what you think,and is not necessarily what is really happens.

I can tell you first hand nothing is dead,some parts of the world are not experiencing any changes regarding powervu,it works ok for months and years.

It is just you that are looking for an specific package to open.
I can only tell you,you must stop making conclusions,stop dragging down your view of freeware,because it was said the same in 2001,then in 2002,then every year after that...it's been almost 20 years now,and the only constant in all that is .....dreambox/enigma/tuxbox...and hundreds of dead close source receivers,yes,in the hundreds...
Just learn a bit,there are many reasons for a fix to NOT show up,maybe to NOT MAKE THINGS WORST than they are.

eaglevision993

Registered
I never said those cheap closed source receivers are of any long term solution. But even of they work for 1 year, they are well worth the 20-50$ compared to a linux receiver for 400 which will not work on the channels you want to watch.

As for OScam being dead or not, well if a fix for an easy and known problem is not made public but is NP for 3 months, the system is dead in my opinon. Your opinion may differ.
OScam opening AFN/PowerVu would certainly not make things worse since 90% of the cheap receivers can open it anyway.

nautilus7

VIP
You keep writing the same inaccuracies...

Which enigma2 receivers cost 400? I just told you there are boxes that cost just over 100.

Also, you keep saying saying that the powervu fix is easy and simple. If it was that easy, there would be at least one guy that would have broken it and made it public.

Finally, you keep saying oscam(-emu) is dead... Do you understand that difference of a programmer vs a hacker? There are programmers that support oscam(-emu), but there are no hackers to offer their hacks for free to the open source community.

eaglevision993

Registered
A good Linux based receiver with harddrive like the Dreambox or Vu+ can easily cost 400....
For example
Vu+ Ultimo: 449,-
Dreambox 920: 349,- + HDD

nautilus7

VIP
So the boxes that cost 50-100 and support powervu, are of the same possibilities/hardware like these 400+ enigma2 boxes?

You compare apples and oranges here... and not by mistake...

Shamra

Registered
So the boxes that cost 50-100 and support powervu, are of the same possibilities/hardware like these 400+ enigma2 boxes?

You compare apples and oranges here... and not by mistake...
It's not about apples or oranges. The point is that the owners of cheap Chinese devices can watch AFN and SRG, and the owners of fancy Dreembox - no.