Discovery Affiliate TechSupport <[email protected]>
Attached files18 Jul. (1 day ago)
for
English
Spanish Translate message
Deactivate for: English
Cid: [email protected]
Dear Affiliate,
In order to continue to protect our signals and fight against piracy, during the month of August, Discovery will install a Cisco security update on the Intelsat 11 TXP1C, Intelsat 21 TXP 9C, TXO 13C and TXP 22C satellites.
To prevent loss of our signals during this process, all Cisco PowerVu compatible Mpeg-4 decoders must be upgraded to the latest available software version. The models to be updated are the following: D9865, D9854, D9824, D9858 and D9859.
Although the Intelsat 11 10C Upper and 10C Lower satellites are not being affected at this time, we recommend that you take advantage of this opportunity to upgrade all equipment of the aforementioned models that you are using for the Discovery signals.
To make such updates, we set the following deadlines:
· Software updates must be made between July 18 and August 18, 2017.
· During the week of August 21 we will perform a forced restart of the teams. This restart will only affect those computers that have not been updated.
· Once these deadlines have passed, we will install the security update on the mentioned satellites. All decoders that have not been updated will lose the signal.
To avoid disruption of all of your Discovery services, it is critical that you upgrade all of your Cisco Power Vu equipment prior to the security update. Your decoders will not be able to receive the Discovery signals until they have the latest software version available.
The software update should now be in the memory of your decoders. We have sent the code to each of their equipment via satellite.
You can update your decoders using the detailed instructions attached for each decoder model. If for some reason your equipment did not receive the code, we offer you the alternatives to access it by satellite or via the internet as mentioned in the instructions.
We request that you carry out the update process as soon as possible to avoid the loss of signal of all our services. Thank you for informing us once this process has been completed by responding to this email.
Sincerely,
Discovery Affiliate Operations

C0der

Registered
Someone must make a short ts now!
Transponders are:
43W 3743 V (and maybe 3966 H + 3994 H)
58W 3960 V and 4111 H

Stefan2k16

Registered
This sounds like the update is being send down in the transport stream. I think that's the way it's commonly done with powervu receivers. Anyway, if the firmware update can be captured and disassembled by someone then it could possibly be figured out what changes are being made to the system. I think that's what coder means when he says someone needs to start recording the Mux.

Last edited:

Stefan2k16

Registered
On channel 555 on the 3960 v 30000 mux on 58W there is "LATAM 5 code download" consisting only of PID 1760 (0x06e0). That might be the firmware update. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

C0der

Registered
You might want to log that pid for a few hours.
Can you give us a sample?

May also be pids:
0x1b59=7001
0x1b5b=7003

Stefan2k16

Registered
I see 0x1b59 but not 0x1b5b. Also the PiD I mentioned 0x6e0, Tsreader calls it a "missing PID", what it defines as "PIDs called out in the mux's SI, but not being used." In program 555 this is labeled as H.264 video, which obviously it is not. So, I think maybe that PID is probably not actually being used. So, it's probably 0x1b59 that's of interest here?

kebien

Registered
The update log might be useless without running it through a simulator to expand it and see what is changing.
The real issue here is if the update is writing to the ISE or not.

In my view,this is no different than what is going on in MTN stream.

If anyone remembers back in 1995,at the start of the consumer IRDs digital era,everything was FTA,and discovery (America) was one of the first to encrypt due to someone calling a TV program asking why should they have to pay for discovery when they could get it FTA in certain satellite.
Of course the transponders went encrypted in a week after this event.
Back to the original concern,my view is this firmware update is the same as the one for MTN,more obfuscation than an encryption change.
And I sense the fix is on hold until they implement it in more services,if not all.

Prvt_N00b

Registered
The update log might be useless without running it through a simulator to expand it and see what is changing.
The real issue here is if the update is writing to the ISE or not.

In my view,this is no different than what is going on in MTN stream.

If anyone remembers back in 1995,at the start of the consumer IRDs digital era,everything was FTA,and discovery (America) was one of the first to encrypt due to someone calling a TV program asking why should they have to pay for discovery when they could get it FTA in certain satellite.
Of course the transponders went encrypted in a week after this event.
Back to the original concern,my view is this firmware update is the same as the one for MTN,more obfuscation than an encryption change.
And I sense the fix is on hold until they implement it in more services,if not all.

I Hope, because here in Latinamerica this is my favorite package...