Boxing

2010dz

Registered
Floyd Mayweather defends outburst at veteran broadcaster

_55445635_may-ortfight.jpg

Floyd Mayweather has defended his obscene rant at Larry Merchant, during which the boxer told the 80-year-old broadcaster he should be sacked.

The American fighter's outburst, on live television, led to Merchant responding: "I wish I was 50 years younger and I'd kick your ass."

The exchange took place after Mayweather had knocked out Victor Ortiz to claim the WBC welterweight title.

Mayweather later told boxingscene.com: "I don't regret what I said."

The 34-year-old won the fight by catching Ortiz with two decisive blows when the champion thought referee Joe Cortez had called "break".
Afterwards, Mayweather grew irritable at HBO commentator Merchant's repeated questions about the controversial nature of his win.

He interrupted Merchant during the in-ring, post-fight interview on live television, saying: "You never give me a fair shake. So I'm gonna let you talk to Victor Ortiz, alright? I'm through.

"They can put somebody else up here to give me an interview. HBO need to fire you. You don't know s*** about boxing. You ain't s***."

The commentator, who has been covering boxing with HBO for more than 30 years, then also lost his cool.

Defending his comments, Mayweather later said: "Everybody is tired of Larry Merchant. He said if he was 50 years younger, that he would kick my ass.

"All of these boxing experts - how can you be a boxing expert if you never had a fight before?"
Merchant joined HBO as an expert analyst and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in New York in 2009.

Meanwhile, the prospect of a fight between Mayweather and Filipino Manny Pacquiao seems as distant as ever. Mayweather said: "I don't need Pacquiao. Where was Pacquiao in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 when I was dominating the game?

"He never asked me (for a fight) when I was in my twenties or when I was in my teens."

2010dz

Registered
Carl Froch's unification bout with Andre Ward is postponed

Next month's unification bout between Carl Froch and Andre Ward has been postponed after Ward suffered an eye injury in training.

Californian WBA champion Ward revealed on Thursday that he'd suffered a cut on Twitter.

He said: "Bad News: I sustained a cut in sparring a few hours ago, flew to LA to see the Doc. I got seven stitches, will let you know the new date soon."

A new date is yet to be confirmed but is likely to be in December.
Continue reading the main story
The duo were set to fight in the Super Six Final in Atlantic City, New Jersey on 29 October.

WBC super-middleweight champion Froch also turned to the social networking site to reveal his frustration.

He tweeted: "Sorry to all my loyal fans, but it seems five weeks isn't enough time to heal a scratch!"

Froch's promoter Matchroom Sport said: "The Showtime 360 Fight Camp (television crew) were filming the session and made the trip to the hospital where he was advised by the doctor that he would not be fit to fight on October 29."

Promoter Eddie Hearn added: "Obviously it is frustrating.

"Carl's camp has gone perfectly and we were ready to unify the titles on October 29.

"Carl is in the shape of his life but he is a true professional and will take this in his stride and be ready for victory on a date given in 2011."

Froch was first crowned WBC super-middleweight champion in December 2008, when he beat Canadian Jean Pascal. He went on to retain the title twice before losing on points to Mikkel Kessler in April 2010.

He regained the title seven months later when he was named the undisputed winner against Arthur Abraham in Helsinki.