Motorised dish mount.

LoginX

Donating Member
That;s a dificult install mate, you need to do all at maximum calculations. Because if that stick it's not straight, the signal will suffer.

emanresu

Donating Member
I will be making a go at this tomorrow weather permitting with some of the suggestions on the thread and I shall report my findings.

emanresu

Donating Member
what is not working you've just said rimantss m8 but I will be trying to level the wall completely and then this will work for me but not with an unlevel wall.

emanresu

Donating Member
Got back at this recently but a 100% vertical pole is out of the question due to my mounting spot which is the only one available. My question what is best way to set up with non vertical pole for best reception should I just split the difference between each side or have 3 sides vertical from the pictures? Also as whole dish assembly is mounted it changes some of the readings on the pole even when tightened up fully. Is receiving anything from the outer sats like 36,39 42e out of the question.

SilverHippy

Registered
That's the pole. The brackets all level out easy enough with adjustments and shims but not the pole. I can twist the pole in the u bolts to get it vertical but then one of the sides will be out or vice versa.

After looking at the photos & what you said above, if the error moves 90 deg after you twist the pole 90 deg then the problem is the pole and not the brackets. If the pole you've used has been coated in something then that could also explain the variation you've found ( uneven coating )on that face of the pole.
If I were you I would try a solid galvanised steel pole, can't see that it's anything else. :thum:

Regards

emanresu

Donating Member
With a 1.1 dish I hit 85% on 5w and get most tpxs from thor but its the outer east I would like to have something on but I get zero from. Read elsewhere someone corrected by getting the motor vertical by tightening the screws by various amounts till vertical. Anyone know of this method. If the pole is slightly off vertical is one side vertical or both sides slightly off the better way to mount the dish on?

pedro2000uk

Registered
Got back at this recently but a 100% vertical pole is out of the question ..

you can always adjust any satellite dish bracket to vertical.. one way or another [you have to].

If things alter with the weight of the dish, check your mountings in the brickwork, chimneys can look solid from the outside but be very weak on the inside due to rain water & corrosive chemicals in the fumes & they often require deep structural pointing, you have to have it very solid, not just vertical.

Could you post a photo of the motor from the side as you have it setup & the view to the south.

emanresu

Donating Member
Yes I can post them tomorrow with good light if it helps with a real suggestion to the problem. The wall I don't believe is vertical as I got front and back vertical when it is put at an angle to the right but then the sides are way out which meant it had to be brought back to get these which throws the upstand out. I have a good solid fixing in the chimney but when the pole is mounted in the brackets it don't mount flush between them as the chimney wall is not horizontal either which I believe causes the movement. It works ok but beyond 30e 30w the problems occur.

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
Yes I can post them tomorrow with good light if it helps with a real suggestion to the problem. The wall I don't believe is vertical as I got front and back vertical when it is put at an angle to the right but then the sides are way out which meant it had to be brought back to get these which throws the upstand out. I have a good solid fixing in the chimney but when the pole is mounted in the brackets it don't mount flush between them as the chimney wall is not horizontal either which I believe causes the movement. It works ok but beyond 30e 30w the problems occur.

Mentioned this elsewhere but you appear to want to try do it with a method that does not will not work. Mount has to be plumb only been very slightly out can be corrected your way on one plane.

I would remove your T & K brackets from the wall.

Then with a file every bolt hole will need to be elongated to allow further adjustment which at the moment you can not get due to running out of adjustment on the ubolt slots.

Id have that pole plub in all directions in under an hour, you are looking at this all wrong.

emanresu

Donating Member
Mentioned this elsewhere but you appear to want to try do it with a method that does not will not work. Mount has to be plumb only been very slightly out can be corrected your way on one plane.

I would remove your T & K brackets from the wall.

Then with a file every bolt hole will need to be elongated to allow further adjustment which at the moment you can not get due to running out of adjustment on the ubolt slots.

Id have that pole plub in all directions in under an hour, you are looking at this all wrong.

@ferret I appreciate your suggestion I do but doing that will give me the same results. I have tried the pole in different positions in the slots and got the exact same readings. As said the vertical plane is level when angled slightly to the right and I Can tell by visuals as it will look vertical compared to been out of vertical in a straight position but then the sides are out so its one or the other

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
@pedro2000uk . The view from the side of motor and the view due south.

You are as far back as you can be in the ubolt slot nearest to the motor that slot need to be elongated backwards to allow adjustment.

4075185703d870e6d17.jpg

Ferret

Marching On Together !
Staff member
Administrator
That's the pole. The brackets all level out easy enough with adjustments and shims but not the pole. I can twist the pole in the u bolts to get it vertical but then one of the sides will be out or vice versa.

Reading this post again does make it sound like the pole is not straight. That or your spirt level is not true.

emanresu

Donating Member
As explained elsewhere level is true. As above like others you are misunderstanding that post twist ie rotate in ubolts. The picture which I didn't upload is of the front of the pole which shows level. I can elongate the slots but as soon as I move the back of pole to vertical it will put the front out. Its gonna effect both sides so this method will not work. I hope this clear this up and I appreciate the suggestions of help.

pedro2000uk

Registered
as soon as I move the back of pole to vertical it will put the front out.

doesn't make a lot of sense - I'd recheck that level, use a piece of string with a weight on it

undo the wall anchors on the bottom bracket 3-4mm & put spacers behind the bracket & tighten up to get the pole level N/S

but there looks to be a chimney & roof that could be stopping you getting much further east

emanresu

Donating Member
undo the wall anchors on the bottom bracket 3-4mm & put spacers behind the bracket & tighten up to get the pole level N/S

but there looks to be a chimney & roof that could be stopping you getting much further east

The spacers idea was tried and failed same results of readings.

Possibly but if the pole is not 100% vertical far east and west is where the signal would drop off.