Best box for Powervu on 20 West.

dostoy

Registered
What is the best/easiest box to operate that will clear the Sport 24 channel on 20 west ?

I have a TM5402 M3 box now and I don't think there is going to be a new patch.

I have never had an enigma 2 box so I don't have a clue about images/oscam etc.

Thanks.

Rickk

Registered
this is a taste and how much you want to spend
dream needs no streamrelay
vu + / gigablue etc with streamrelay
otherwise they will not take anything
4k has just started, there are still some errors in the system

Francescone

What about Octagon V8 Golden? It opens up Powervu on other satellites (9 East for example), I don't know 20 West. This is a very simple to use receiver not so different from Technomate, having a very good audio and video performances. But I don't know at 20 West.

Rickk

Registered
but this is not an enigma 2 receiver, since you can only hope that there are firmware updates. will definitely not open 20w

manic01

Super VIP
I would hold off buying a stb just for 20w, which is on inclined orbit and weak signal in uk at times.
Encryptions come and go, tandberg may get opened again yet.
TM or freesat v8 may open these encryptions soon who knows.
You will find a big difference from TM5402 to e2 stb.

dostoy

Registered
Yes it is difficult to get at certain times of the day, it comes on here in about the middle of the afternoon.

When you say a big difference, do you mean it is more complicated ?

manic01

Super VIP
Certainly is more complicated.
Its not like pressing 8280and adding biss etc you need to do a bit more.
Not beyond your realms but just a different beast altogether.
A freesat golden stb is £20-25 and if they sort powervu maybe your best route.

Last edited:

Francescone

Linux Enigma 2 receivers are a very great disappointment if you do not know linux and you are not so skilled in computer things. Also, these boxes are not for satellite enthusiasts.... no or poor blind scan, not so good for feed receptions.... and so on. Very good for multimedia and for computer playing. If you are a real satellite fan.... well, choose good old Technomate, Openbox Freesat V8, new Vuga/VIARK (multistream) or new little Octagon (hardware blind scan and Multistream without PLS). If you choose E2..... good luck.

kebien

Registered
Linux Enigma 2 receivers are a very great disappointment if you do not know linux and you are not so skilled in computer things. Also, these boxes are not for satellite enthusiasts.... no or poor blind scan, not so good for feed receptions.... and so on. Very good for multimedia and for computer playing. If you are a real satellite fan.... well, choose good old Technomate, Openbox Freesat V8, new Vuga/VIARK (multistream) or new little Octagon (hardware blind scan and Multistream without PLS). If you choose E2..... good luck.
Think about it : of all receivers you mentioned,and those you didn't,the only one that's been working through every change,every encryption,every stream,are Dreambox,meaning enigma 2 receivers.
Still today working as well as the first day,just go check those that has been in the market for the last 15 years,the only ones that still standing are dreamboxes.
New boxes show up in the market every month,disappear in couple years.
But the linux receivers are the ones that as all the features from the beginning,all of them,and all others tried to imitate,to the point they gave up and started making boxes that use enigma 2 firmware,and not their own.
And given the fact all other boxes use the public fixes from this forum,makes them all really inferior.
So,I am sorry you feel disappointed,but can not generalize your experience with the rest of the world.
Let's say this boxes are not for you.Maybe you just can't learn to use them.
At the same time,mines has been working since 2001 (from enigma 1) non stop,how could I (and countless others) be disappointed?
A real satellite fan? are you sure you want to start offending people by showing how little you understand about satellite and satellite receivers??
Please,go and take some time for reflection,I think you misunderstood the basics of the satellite hobby.

Last edited:

gap30

Donating Member
You know a box I often rave about, the Edision OSmini great little box that

Seriously under rated

dostoy

Registered
I was looking there as well, it seems very cheap.

Is an Openbox the same as a freesat box ?

Francescone

I was looking there as well, it seems very cheap.

Is an Openbox the same as a freesat box ?

Yes, Openbox V8 Golden is Freesat box, you find latest firmware in this forum, and you can open Sport24, tested. V8 is better than most (if not all....) linux-based receivers for all REAL satellite TV users. Sorry, this is my opinion. I'm in satellite TV from more than 30 years, and I NEVER found ANY linux receiver good for DXing and feed hunting. Technomate, Freesat/Openbox, Vuga, Octagon are very good options. Instead, if you want to play with a computer with a satellite receiver in it.... well, you can use linux and stay happy.

kebien

Registered
You don't have to be sorry for having an opinion,but you have to be sorry to not understanding the little boxes owe everything to linux receivers,you should know after 30 years of being a REAL satellite user.(which I am too)

Some people learn nothing in 30 years.Meaning 30 years doing this do not elevate anyone to genius level.
It really shows you are unable to handle a linux receiver,so,everyone should take the opinion carefully.

The big mistake is to think satellite testing is all about Dxing and feed hunting (And i got my Nokia 9200 back in 95',probably a box not for you either ,meaning I understand about feed hunting, Dr Overflow started it all),and forget all the science in the stream.(which is what brings you to blindscan and opening encryptions).
I understand not everyone become a scientist,but one must understand our own shortcomings and at least not show them.
My opinion

Last edited:

Francescone

Well, I don't want going OT.... I only say this: linux receivers are NOT receivers! They are computer board in which tuners and other specific chips are added. So, first you must learn and know computers and operating system, then satellite television. So I'm not surprise seeing many many great linux users totally unable to align a dish using a field meter! For me, satellite receiver means a specific combination of hardware and software designed ONLY for this goal, and having a reasonable simple usage. Also, I believe problem is not linux. Did you test professional satellite receivers like, say, Ericsson or similar? They often use specific linux-based operating systems but it does not seem linux, you don't see linux. So, the problem is totally opened linux releases with differences between images in which you must copy/paste/edit ini file or similar, or perfectly knowing folders in which to place right files for a specific operation working..... yes this is not for me. If I want to play with computer.... well, I buy computer and not satellite receiver. Again, this is only my opinion.