C-Band/Ka-Band Reception in the UK (Dish Project: LNBs, Dish, Alignment) - Post your results here...

amdade

Registered
New one to report for me. SES 6 at 40.5°W.

Cristovision 3700 R 2199 strong signal to start with

Just digesting the long list coming in on blind scan :)

Last edited:

StephenS

Registered
I've finally got around to ordering the scalar ring for my Titanium C1, next problem will be how to mount it on Triax dish.

I'll get on C-band one day :)

empb

SU Team: It's All Good (Fausto v1.45/Newcamd/vplug
Staff member
Administrator
I've finally got around to ordering the scalar ring for my Titanium C1, next problem will be how to mount it on Triax dish.

I'll get on C-band one day :)

I'll try and get some photos up of C-Band on my Triax (better and easier than the Televes)

CHECK OUT 5°W Tele Sahel now the strongest for me 73-74% Quality (Technomate meters) [thanks Feedsat_DXer for drawing my attention to this info]

StephenS

Registered
I'll try and get some photos up of C-Band on my Triax (better and easier than the Televes)

CHECK OUT 5°W Tele Sahel now the strongest for me 73-74% Quality (Technomate meters) [thanks Feedsat_DXer for drawing my attention to this info]

Thanks, that would be much appreciated, hopefully scalar ring arrives today or tomorrow, a nice project for the weekend. :thum:

amdade

Registered
Thanks, that would be much appreciated, hopefully scalar ring arrives today or tomorrow, a nice project for the weekend. :thum:

Mine came with the scalar ring, although I'm using a very old chaparral ring which seems to perform a bit better than the one suppled with the LNB.

Been playing with the feed mount today bit more performance, trying to find 55.5W without much luck so far....

EbenDer

Registered
Mine came with the scalar ring, although I'm using a very old chaparral ring which seems to perform a bit better than the one suppled with the LNB.

Been playing with the feed mount today bit more performance, trying to find 55.5W without much luck so far....

Hello amdade,

try this Transponders - which are very strong:

4.111 V 1.850 Auto &

4.151 H 2.500 Auto

Good Luck EbenDer!

amdade

Registered
Thanks EbenDer, think my issue may be trees :-( 40.5W may be my limit from where the antenna currently is.

StephenS

Registered
I had a quick play about yesterday, but with no luck at all, not getting any signals on c-band whatsoever, going to have to do a dish realignment on KU today I think, plus change the 1p under the feed arm for a cr2032 battery, usually helps :)

amdade

Registered
Your welcome amdade - your Trees?

(maybe you can cut them.. )

Good idea thanks, the size of them moving the antenna probably easier:)

Think have a spot that will work... Not a quick job though need another dry sunny weekend (and no other distractions)

amdade

Registered
I had a quick play about yesterday, but with no luck at all, not getting any signals on c-band whatsoever, going to have to do a dish realignment on KU today I think, plus change the 1p under the feed arm for a cr2032 battery, usually helps :)

What size is your dish for C band ? I started with 20E, 4054 L, 27500

Good luck

StephenS

Registered
I'm using the Triax 1.1m in theory should work fine for some sats.

Going to be trying without the scalar on it for lining up, as I was getting signals before, may have to wait until the weekend to try again.

amdade

Registered
I'm using the Triax 1.1m in theory should work fine for some sats.

Going to be trying without the scalar on it for lining up, as I was getting signals before, may have to wait until the weekend to try again.

Don't forget the dielectric plate inside the LNB feed horn :)

empb

Staff member
Administrator
I use a Triax TD110 as well it's diameter is actually 1.06m btw

But the reason for my post as an alternative to the Dilectric Plate:

The "T-Plate" made from an old polyethylene breadboard thanks to Vipersan (His original project idea and his pictures). Swears it gives higher gain. Even helps AFN reception on 1W etc.

StephenS

Registered
That looks like an interesting project.
I'm in 2 minds whether the lnb is a duff one, or the Dr-HD box is bad on c-band, as not even getting a 0.1db reading on any satellite.

My satellite meter is just giving constant tone when connected, no adjustment changes that.
When I get time I'll hook it up to the TBS6925 card, see if anything with that, it's all fun :)

amdade

Registered
Yes very much so, are you going to make one empb ? my plate seems to perform a touch better pulled towards the front of the feedhorn.

One thing not sure about is for circular polarisation does it matter which skew angle the lnb/feed as it is with linear H/V ? If that makes any sense :)

empb

Staff member
Administrator
Yes very much so, are you going to make one empb ? my plate seems to perform a touch better pulled towards the front of the feedhorn.

One thing not sure about is for circular polarisation does it matter which skew angle the lnb/feed as it is with linear H/V ? If that makes any sense :)

Skew is still important.

I am making one (it was tested on 2m, hoping it makes a difference on 1.06m as well).

amdade

Registered
On the skew subject :

at the moment I have the two probes Hor / Vert more or less vertical / horizontal as would a KU setup.

So for L/R insert plate in the grove that is 45 degrees, between the two probes looking down the waveguide.

What would be the optimum theoretical angle the LNB feed should sit, for circular pol ? as I have it 0 degrees / 90 degrees or something else ?

Seems to make a small difference as move around but I had assumed was because of my non perfect dish / mount / focus.

Any thoughts ?

empb

Staff member
Administrator
Use a Linear Sat without the plate to set the skew, which of course makes it very difficult as 3.3°E was active when I set mine up. Now we've got 46°E, the even weaker 38°E, prob better on the West Arc 37.5°W, 45°W, (weaker) 50°W & 55.5°W.

Then the plate goes :

dielectric_in_c_band_lnb_12pc_1b.jpg

:D :thum:

amdade

Registered
that's how my plate is set up. There is a difference which angle but not a great deal in it which I found surprising compared with h/v. Obviously the plate stays at the same relative angle to the probes....

At the current time not found a c band linear sat that I can see.....

That may change at the weekend when I relocate the 1.5m to try again for 55w :)