AACS Blu-ray Protection to Phase Out Analog Video Outputs On Blu-ray Players

sugarnspice

Registered
Any analog video outputs on the future Blu-ray players will be limited to SD Interlace Modes only (i.e., Composite, S-Video, 480i component), according to the final specifications of the Advanced Access Content System released by the AACS LA.

The Advanced Access Content System provides content protection for BD-ROM AV data. Until now, the specifications of the AACS protection system has been included in the so-called "interim" specifications books for pre-recorded and recordable Blu-ray discs. The Advanced Access Content System Licensing Administrator, LLC (AACS LA) relaesed the final specifications last week.

According to the new 'AACS Final Adopter Agreement' documents, any licensed Blu-ray player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes only (i.e., composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video).

In addition, analog video outputs will dissapear from any Blu-ray player after December 31, 2013, according to the AACS licensing agreement.

The "Analoge Sunset" rules exclude the existing models.