Latest Serie A News

sky star 2

Super VIP
Kaka close to deciding future
Milan midfielder expected to announce future on Monday

Brazil superstar Kaka has announced that he will make his decision on whether to join Real Madrid or stay at AC Milan in the near future.

The 27-year-old was speaking after he had helped Brazil to a comfortable 4-0 World Cup qualifying win in Uruguay and is said to be ready to reveal his plans for the future on Monday.

Zinedine Zidane, now an advisor to Real Madrid, stated last week that a deal to bring the former World Player of the Year to the Bernabeu was all but done, however, Milan are set to hold talks with their star man on Monday at the latest.

Owner Silvio Berlusconi will sit down with the player and his father in what is seen as the last chance to persuade the Brazilian to stay at the San Siro.

Berlusconi and Milan will cling to the fact that Kaka rejected the lure of Manchester City in January, but many expect the former Sao Paulo youngster to join the new regime at Real under president Florentino Perez.

"I will speak about my future soon," he told the South American media. "In the right moment I will speak about it."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lazio to replace Rossi
Lotito outlines intention to appoint a better coach

Lazio president Claudio Lotito has confirmed the club will be looking to appoint a new coach to replace Delio Rossi.

Confusion has surrounded the coach's position at Stadio Olimpico after Rossi revealed earlier in the week that he would not be signing a contract for next season.

Lotito initially claimed that he had not given up hope of persuading Rossi to extend his four-year tenure in the Italian capital.

However, Rossi's impending departure has now been confirmed by Lotito, who outlined his intention to bring in a superior successor.

"When there will be initiatives from our part, they will be done exclusively in Lazio's best interests," Lotito said to Radio Radio.

"When I have found the right person for this club, we will announce who will be our coach.

"It will be an important coach, who will allow us to execute the project we have in our heads.

"In general, whoever leaves will be replaced by someone better, as has always happened."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Milan set for Kaka talks
Berlusconi plans last-ditch attempt to keep Brazil star

AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has scheduled talks with Kaka where he will make a last-ditch attempt to ensure the Brazilian remains at the San Siro.

The playmaker appears close to a world-record move to Real Madrid and the deal could be confirmed on Monday, while Chelsea are thought to be monitoring the situation.

But Berlusconi has yet to give up hope that he will be able to convince Kaka, who was the subject of a failed bid from Manchester City in the winter, to stay in Italy.

"(Milan general manager Adriano) Galliani and I arranged to meet last Sunday," he told Milan Channel.
Freedom

"I asked to meet Kaka, but he had left for Brazil and so I agreed with Galliani to have a long telephone conversation with Kaka this Sunday night or Monday.

"If he presents us with a similar situation to that of Andriy Shevchenko, we will behave in the same way, giving the player and his family the freedom to make the choices they believe are the best."

Berlusconi has rubbished suggestions that he is forcing Kaka out of the club, despite rumours that the 27-year-old is happy.

Reports have implied that the Brazil international was upset by the manner in which Milan were prepared to sell to City at the start of 2009 before cancelling the deal.

Beg

"I've begged him to stay at Milan," he added. "I did it several months ago and Kaka, despite the fact that there was a stratospheric offer of €105million (£92m), stayed.

"Now certain clubs again made persistent enquiries, Chelsea and Madrid who will bring, they tell me, a different economic deal for the player."

Berlusconi insists the money Milan receive for Kaka - expected to be around €65m (£57m) - will be put back into the team.

He said: "If Kaka should leave to go play in another squad, I will invest what Milan receive from the sale to reinforce Milan and create a very competitive squad."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Barca eye Ibrahimovic
Primera Liga champions linked with Inter striker

Barcelona are considering a move for Inter Milan's Zlatan Ibrahimovic, according to the striker's agent.

The 27-year-old has been linked with a number of high-profile clubs such as Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid.

Barcelona, though, appear to be favourites to land the striker's signature, although a deal has not yet materialised.
Race

"Zlatan is not worried," Ibrahimovic's agent Mino Raiola told Sportbladet.

"I don't know which club will be first to reach an agreement with Inter - Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester United or Real Madrid.

"It's a matter of which club wants him and how much they want him."

Barca have also been linked with a possible move for Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano.

The Primera Liga champions are rumoured to be lining up a £20million bid for the Reds star in the summer transfer window.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Udinese confirm Corradi deal
Striker arrives from Reggina

Udinese have announced the signing of striker Bernardo Corradi from Reggina.

The 33-year-old only joined Reggina last summer after being released from his contract with Manchester City.

He enjoyed a decent campaign and scored ten goals, but his efforts were not enough to keep Reggina in Serie A.

Udinese have now moved quickly to complete a deal after Reggina allowed him to leave.

"Contact started a few months ago, but only now can I confirm that Corradi is ours," Udinese supremo Gianpaolo Pozzo said in the Italian press.
D'Agostino

Pozzo also played down speculation linking Udinese midfielder Gaetano D'Agostino with a move to Juventus.

He insists there has been no firm offer as yet, while Udinese would only consider a swap deal with two players in exchange for D'Agostino.

"It's true Juve are interested, but for the moment there haven't been concrete proposals," said Pozzo.

"If Juve want him they must put on the table two players between (Sebastian) Giovinco, (Claudio) Marchisio and (Paolo) De Ceglie. We don't want cash."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lazio head coach departs
Biancoceleste on the lookout for new manager

Delio Rossi has confirmed he has left Lazio after four years at the helm.

The news of the 48-year-old's departure comes as little surprise after falling out with club president Claudio Lotito.

Although Lazio finished well adrift in the race for the Serie A title they did win this year's Coppa Italia.

Rossi's one main regret on leaving is that he believes his work at the club is incomplete.

"The decision was made about two weeks ago," explained Rossi. "Formello (Lazio's headquarters) is my home.

"I'm sorry because there is still a lot to do. But I'm really serene. I understand I'm not going to be part of the club's future."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Lavezzi makes Reds claim
Agent insists there is firm interest from Liverpool

The agent of Napoli's Ezequiel Lavezzi has claimed Liverpool have made a concrete bid for the Argentine striker.

Lavezzi, who has made no secret of his desire to quit the Serie A outfit, has also courted attention from Manchester City.

He wrote an open letter to fans last week complaining that the club had shown him a lack of respect.

Now agent Eduardo Rossetto has claimed that a move to Anfield is a real possibility, telling Gazzetta dello Sport: "There is a definite proposal from Liverpool.

"The one thing I can say, that so far I have kept confidential, is that (Napoli general manager Pierpaolo) Marino met twice with the Fifa agent Pablo Cosentino, who invited him to set a meeting in either Liverpool or Naples with the British club."

Asked if the meeting had taken place, Rossetto said: "No. And we do not want to compel Napoli to sell the player.

"But I think it is appropriate that the club consider the offer: to judge that it is either sufficient or insufficient."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pirlo coy on Blues link
Italy international admits Ancelotti reunion could be possible

Andrea Pirlo has refused to rule out the possibility of joining Chelsea this summer.

With former AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti having recently taken the reins at Stamford Bridge, a host of the Rossoneri's top stars have been linked with a switch to west London.

Brazilian superstar Kaka was touted as a potential target, but has completed a big-money move to Real Madrid, while his compatriot Alexandre Pato is also believed to be a possible target for the Blues.

World Cup-winner Pirlo is the latest to find himself at the centre of much transfer talk, and has done little to stem the tide of speculation.

"Me at Chelsea? Let's see," the midfielder said from Italy's training camp in South Africa ahead of the Confederations Cup.

"Maybe not now, but we will see."
Big loss

Pirlo has admitted that the sale of Kaka has disrupted the Milan camp and he believes the club could pay the price for putting financial reward ahead of the best interests of the team.

"We took it badly," he added.

"Kaka is a really great player and a really great man. To cover his absence will take time.

"They (the Milan board) wanted to bring in the money. Ricardo (Kaka) was right to say this hasn't been his decision."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Milan warned off Dzeko
Wolfsburg plan to keep in-demand forward

Wolfsburg managing director Juergen Marbach has claimed the club will inform AC Milan that striker Edin Dzeko is not for sale.

Dzeko has been strongly linked with a summer transfer away from Wolfsburg after his impressive goalscoring form caught the eye.

Milan, Manchester City and Arsenal have all been credited with an interest in his services, and the Italian side appeared favourites for his signature.

The Bosnia international was quoted as voicing his support for Milan, and vice-president Adriano Galliani claimed he met with Dzeko's father on Saturday night.

But Wolfsburg look set to fend off overtures from abroad, as they look to retain Dzeko's services for the 2009/10 season.

"We will reply today that we are not interested," said Marbach. "We don't want to give up the player. He is not for sale."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Atzori takes Catania reins
Inexperienced coach appointed at Stadio Angelo Massimino

Catania have appointed Gianluca Atzori as Walter Zenga's successor on a two-year contract.

The Sicilian outfit have taken the bold step of turning to a man with no prior experience of coaching in Serie A.

Atzori was in charge of Ravenna in the third tier of Italian football last term, but he did lead his unfashionable side into the promotion play-offs.

At just 38 years old he has taken the step into the big time at an early stage of his career, but he is not lacking in confidence and believes he can make a similar impact at Catania as Pep Guardiola has made at European champions Barcelona.

Atzori insists he has the determination and desire to be a success at the top level, and has also revealed that he snubbed the opportunity to join Palermo before the Rosanero turned their attention to Zenga.

"(Palermo owner Maurizio) Zamperini called me some weeks ago and he asked me if I was free," Atzori told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I said that I had already given my word to another club in Serie A and that for me a handshake is worth just as much as a signature.
Ambitious

"I was flattered, but I would never have renounced the decision I made to take charge of Catania. Also with (Catania chief executive) Pietro Lo Monaco I know that I will be able to become a coach with a capital C.

He added: "Focusing on young trainers is in fashion at the moment. It's perhaps the Guardiola or Allegri effect.

"But I believe in the quality of the work I did with Ravenna. We were fourth from bottom and finished a step from Serie B.

"I only have age in common with Guardiola. We were born in 1971, less than two months apart. As for the rest, there is no comparison.

"He has won the championship, the Copa del Rey and the Champions League in a single season. I finished third in the Prima Divisione, but I have a great desire to improve.

"Survival is our primary objective. To secure a fourth season in a row in Serie A is a wonderful target.

"We will look to improve our position in the table. We have to play as Catania to become a reference point among the provincial teams."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Galliani sure of Pato stay
Brazilian star linked with move to Chelsea

AC Milan general manager Adriano Galliani is confident Alexandre Pato is committed to the Serie A club.

The gifted Brazilian's future is uncertain after he stated his intention to speak with Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti before deciding whether he will stay at San Siro.

It has been suggested Pato could be the second major exit from Milan, following Kaka's move to Real Madrid, but Galliani appears certain he will remain with the Rossoneri.

Gazzetta dello Sport quote Galliani as saying: "Pato will remain, 100 per cent. He's untouchable."

Milan supporters have already voiced their displeasure at Kaka's exit, and the transfer of Pato would only serve to cause further uproar.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Toni reveals Barca interest
Bayern striker refuses to rule out summer switch

Bayern Munich striker Luca Toni has admitted that Barcelona have expressed an interest in his services.

The Italy international is currently on the books of German giants Bayern Munich, but has hinted that he may consider a move elsewhere.

With Bayern set to welcome Mario Gomez and Ivica Olic onto their books this summer, and with Miroslav Klose already at the club, Toni has expressed fears for his future at Allianz Arena.

Taking the added competition for places into consideration, Toni feels he would be foolish to ignore the advances of European champions Barcelona should the Catalans come calling.

"Barca have the best team in the world and I am honoured that they are seriously interested in me," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I am still under contract, I know, but Mario Gomez is about to arrive from Stuttgart and he is an extremely good striker.

"We will have four strikers next season and that is quite a lot.

"I am not sure if I will be staying at Bayern and I will definitely have to talk to the club about this."

Toni has also welcomed reported interest from AC Milan and Inter Milan, claiming a return to his homeland could be possible.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Inter lead Arnautovic hunt
Austrian forward heading for Italy

Inter Milan look set to beat Chelsea to the signature of FC Twente starlet Marko Arnautovic.

The player's agent claims talks between the Italian giants and the Austrian forward are ongoing, but insists an agreement is imminent.

A stress fracture detected in the 20-year-old's foot while undergoing a medical has delayed proceedings, but has not put Inter off.

As a result, Rob Groener expects the Serie A giants to strike a deal with Steve McClaren's Twente in the not too distant future.

He told www.elfvoetbal.nl: "Marko has had his medical by Inter. The problems with his foot are known.

"But that's no problem for Inter to sign him. For us it's a case of waiting.

"It's now a thing to see if Inter and FC Twente get an agreement. They are negotiating about the transfer."

Chelsea's interest, meanwhile, appears to have cooled, with Groener adding: "No, from them we hear less."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Inter to make Ibra decision
Sweden striker's future to be decided in the short term

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has confirmed that the club will make a decision on the future of Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the 'short term'.

The striker is expected to leave the Italian champions this summer, with a move to Primera Liga, UEFA Champions League and Copa del Rey winners Barcelona a possibility.

Inter have previously described reports of a swap deal for Samuel Eto'o as 'groundless', but they confess that a decision on Ibrahimovic is imminent.

"In the short term we will reach a calm conclusion," Moratti told Inter Channel.
Financial crisis

"We are not obliged to do anything, in or out. We have a strong side, strong players and also Ibrahimovic, who since he has been with us has been doing his duty as a professional."

Moratti, though, confesses that in the worldwide financial crisis Inter are looking to raise funds.

"It is clear that with the current economic situation it is also necessary to sell," he added. "But I'm not pushing in one direction or the other."

"Let us see what could happen in the market. We will try to build a strong side because our aims (winning) will not change."

No agreement

Ibrahimovic's agent, Mino Raiola, also insists that there is no agreement in place that will see the Sweden international leave Inter.

"There is no deal with any club," Raiola told Onda Cero radio. "With no agreement, we are free to talk to anyone."

Raiola also claims that Lionel Messi is another Inter target in any possible swap deal, with discussions ongoing with Baca supremo Joan Laporta and Moratti.

"It is normal that the two presidents will talk to each other," added Raiola. "Moratti likes Messi and they are discussing that too."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Pato staying with Milan
Brazilian youngster backtracks and insists he is going nowhere

Alexandre Pato has pledged his future to AC Milan just weeks after it looked possible that he could be joining former boss Carlo Ancelotti at Chelsea.

The 19-year-old shocked Rossoneri officials when he stated last week that he would talk with Ancelotti before deciding whether to stay at San Siro next season.

With Milan determined not to lose another one of their stars, following Kaka's move to Real Madrid, it seems that Pato has been persuaded to stick it out in Serie A.

The Brazil international insists that he will now respect his contract and try and help Milan win some long awaited silverware.

"I am happy to stay at Milan," he said after he had come off the bench to help Brazil to a 4-3 win over Egypt in the Confederations Cup in South Africa on Monday.

"I do not care what they say and I have a contract with Milan that I will respect.

"I want to win everything with Milan."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Carvalho seeks Blues exit
Chelsea defender unhappy with how he was treated while injured

Ricardo Carvalho believes his Chelsea career has come to an end after he accused the club of neglecting him when he was out injured last season.

The 31-year-old has recently been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge with Inter Milan expressing an interest.

Nerazzurri manager Jose Mourinho is keen to renew acquaintances with the Portuguese defender having worked together at both Porto and Chelsea.

Carvalho endured a frustrating campaign last time out thanks to a succession of injuries and the experience has dampened what has been a fruitful five years at the club in terms of trophies.

"I've been at Chelsea for five years, and four of them were very good, but this last season I spent a lot of time out injured," he told Daily Star.

"This last year I was injured a lot. I wasn't happy and Chelsea can't have been happy with my contribution.
No support

"Furthermore, when I was injured the club should have given me more support. They should have helped me more, especially given my past four years at Chelsea.

"Their attitude disappointed me a little. I believe my time at Chelsea has come to an end and I'm very happy a big club like Inter are interested in me. It's a new challenge and I'd like to play in Italy."

Carvalho admits that the biggest attraction of joining the Italian champions would be to link up with former boss Mourinho.

"Mourinho's a coach who knows me better than anybody," he added. "Together we won big trophies.

"He's an ambitious coach and a perfectionist. Let's see if the clubs can reach an agreement. I'd love to work with Jose Mourinho again."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Nedved dismisses Inter link
Former Juve star rejects rumours he is set to return to football

Pavel Nedved has rejected claims that he is set to make a shock return to football with Inter Milan.

The 36-year-old retired from football last season while with Juventus and has also been linked with a coaching role at the Turin club.

However the former Czech Republic international has dismissed both claims suggesting that he could be set for a short spell in the MLS.

Despite his age Nedved is considered to be one of the fittest players in the game with Juve keen on him continuing his career for another year at least.

"I cannot wear a different jersey to Juve's but I don't see myself working with this particular Juve group," he Gazzetta Sportiva.

Inter manager Jose Mourinho was said to be eager on bringing the midfielder to the San Siro but it now remains to be seen what Nedved will do next.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Cruz would consider Lazio
Agent insists Biancocelesti have yet to contact him over striker

Julio Cruz's agent Jorge Cysterszpiller admits that his client would consider a move to Lazio after his departure from Inter Milan.

The Biancocelesti have been rumoured to be interested in the player ever since talks between the striker and Napoli broke down due to the 34-year-old's excessive wage demands.

Fiorentina are another Serie A club who are said to chasing the Argentinean after he allowed his contract with Inter to run down.

Cysterszpiller says that he has not had any contact from Lazio, although Cruz would welcome any move that would ensure him first-team football.

"Up until this moment I have not had contact with Lazio, but they are a great club and Cruz would certainly take them into consideration," he said.

"When will he choose his future? There are no deadlines until August 31st so he has time to understand which is the best solution.

"Julio certainly wants to be a protagonist this season and is looking for a team that can guarantee him first team football."

sky star 2

Super VIP
Inter maintain stance on duo
Carvalho and Deco still considered overpriced

Inter Milan maintain that they are not prepared to meet Chelsea's asking price for Ricardo Carvalho and Deco.

The duo are wanted by Inter boss Jose Mourinho, who managed both the players at Porto and then signed Carvalho at Chelsea before moving to Italy prior to Deco's arrival at Stamford Bridge.

But Serie A champions Inter, who have already bought Diego Milito and Thiago Motta, have struggled in discussions with the Blues, causing the possible double transfer to be put on hold.

Giuseppe Meazza transfer consultant Lele Oriali has previously stated that Chelsea's valuation of Carvalho and Deco will not be met and director Marco Branca has echoed those thoughts.

"We are in no hurry," he told Italian media.
Expensive

"After some very expensive signings, now the market is working on more focused buys. It's a question of time and Mourinho knows that too.

"We consider them (Carvalho and Deco) to be overpriced and their evaluation excessive.

"If Chelsea do not change their ideas about them, then we will focus on other players instead."

Meanwhile, Inter president Massimo Moratti has warned Mourinho there are no excuses for another failure in the UEFA Champions League.

sky star 2

Super VIP
Flamini admits frustrations
Midfielder does not want to be played out of position

AC Milan midfielder Mathieu Flamini has warned his club that they will be making him unhappy if he is forced to play at full-back again next season.

The Frenchman was forced to perform out of position on several occasions during the last campaign due to a shortage in personnel at the San Siro.

Milan attempted to solve the problem this summer, but a move for Aly Cissokho failed at the medical, prompting suggestions Flamini could again operate at full-back.

The 25-year-old, who has been linked with a return to former club Arsenal, has therefore stated that he does not want to play in defence in 2009/10.

"I don't want to play as a full-back, I am a midfielder," he told Sky Sport 24. "This year Milan will be strong in defence."

Flamini also insists that he has not told his ex-Arsenal colleague Emmanuel Adebayor to follow his lead and move to Italy.

"Adebayor? We talk sometimes but I didn't tell him to come here, we are just friends," he said.