Is it worth moving my dish?

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I can currently receive from satellites between 31.5W & around 60.0E.

I am going to install a new dish, new cable, new motor, new larger and stronger pole and new T & K brackets.

I am considering moving the location of my dish as it will allow me to extend reception to the West.
I will also be able to get 33.5W, 34.5W, 36.0W, and 37.5W.

What I have to decide is, is it worth relocating the dish?
Is there much more that I will receive feed wise?

Comments welcome. :D

william-1

Feed Hunter
There is very little Ku band TV past 31.5 west not worth relocating your dish in my opinion,

33.5 west to 63 west no Ku band TV passed 34.5 west,
This part of the spectrum is mainly used for data by air & sea navigation systems,

https://www.flysat.com/satlist.php

Feeds that I used to be active @ 34.5 west,36 west,37.5 west, 45 west & 58 west, have not been active for a few years now,

Most of the feeds for Europe come from 46 east, 42 east,39 east,36 east,33.1 east 28.2 east,23.5 east,21.6 east,16 east,10 east,7 east,4.8 east,3.1 east,1 west,3 west,5 west,8 west,12.5 west,22 west,24.5 west & 30 west.

Last edited:

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
Now I just need to decide if I buy T & K brackets for £20 or under or I get some seriously strong brackets that could probably withstand a nuclear explosion at around £150.

I am leaning toward the expensive option for peace of mind.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
How long a run could I have CT125 cables before I need to worry about signal loss?

I am considering re-routing my cables when I get round to installing the new equipment.
I have two options......

1) Under the floorboards as it currently but there is a risk that it might fail as I would need to pull the existing cables out with the new ones attached and they could come adrift under the floorboards. It is not practical to empty two rooms and lift the boards as I did when I first moved in to this house.

2) Take the cables around the side of the house but it is a massive run. I have not measured yet but it would be a very long run of cables.

barney115

Donating Member
Staff member
Administrator
How long a run could I have CT125 cables before I need to worry about signal loss?
i have at least 30+ meters
is a bungalow house , but up the attic for 10meters down the gavel inside a plastic tube around the back wall a good 15meters into the garage down and then into my V-Box :D

you only get signal loss once there is a joint in the cable
with that said i have a single joint on the cable from my 1.2m dish and for years its been working fine as long as joint does not get wet there is zero trouble .

With the wind i get i do not cut corners with T & K brackets
the heavier the better job it will be when wind picks up and in years to come .
good luck : )

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I now have some very expensive and very strong brackets for the new installation. I once had some T & K brackets ripped out of a brick wall, taking the bricks with it. Luckily I noticed and managed to climb up and manhandle the dish, mount, pole and brackets down to safety. It was a very stormy night and I genuinely feared for my life when I was manhandling the kit to safety.

I must measure the longest run option. I would guess it is well over 40 mtrs. The CT125 cable is quite stiff so I think trying to pull it under the floorboards may well fail. :(

GetOnYourKnees

Registered
There used to be loads of transatlantic feeds on 37.5W, 43.5W and 45W Ku band but those days have gone now. I rarely scan beyond 30W.

dog-man

VIP
Donating Member
I can remember the days of many feeds on 37.5W.
Don't have ability for C band and it will be a 1.25 gibby when I can get round to installing it.