Just brought a QBOX HD Mini without USB stick

doomdoom88

Registered
Hello
I have brought a QBOX HD Mini from eBay and it arrived today but without the USB stick. I have contacted the seller and they have said they have lost the USB stick :(. Does anyone know how I go about putting the system files on another USB stick because as soon as I turn the box on it says " Check USB pen" and I can't do anything?
Also if you do know how I can do it, can you please send me a download link for the system files?
Thanks in advance

doomdoom88

Registered
I have connected my QBox HD Mini to my laptop over the internet and have used the QBoxHD_Updater v.1.1.0 to install qboxhd_mini_boot_v.1.0.3 and I then downloaded QboxHD mini 060 File System/image and uploaded it on to USB 1 (formatted to FAT32) then formatted USB 2 and uploaded the image to it. The box then tries to update its self and tells me it has finished so I then turn the box off, take out USB 2 and turn the box back on but it just freezes on the loading screen. Does everything sound right what I have done or have I done something wrong.
Thanks for you help and I look forward to your reply

Lmkiu

Your problem could be one of four possible causes.

1. The quality of USB Pen Drives used, Original Kingston Data Travellers are reliable.

2. The Format tool used, Windows is not ideal, HP Format Tool is best.

3. Filesystem downloaded could be corrupted.

4. A hardware fault (Ram) within your QboxMini, hopefully not.

Try this outlined below to load File system, if this method fails, then change both USB pen drives (at least Pen 1) and start over loading boot loader followed by file system.

Ideally, a brand new quality Pen Drive Formatted in Fat32 using HP Format tool, should be used as Pen 1.

How to flash Duolabs QBox HD Mini firmware using USB stick

Items required:

2 x USB Sticks - Formatted to FAT32 is the best option – Use HP Format Tool for formatting if you have any problems with the USB not being seen by the QBox HD Mini after formatting using Windows.

You will normally be provided with a single 2GB USB stick with your QBox HD Mini, you will also require a second USB stick of at least 1GB to perform a firmware update (1 USB stick holds the file system and stays permanently connected to the QBox HD Mini which the other is only used when performing firmware/software updates, it can then be disconnected.

QBox HD Mini Receiver – This guide is good for the Duolabs QBox HD Mini only

We’ll refer to the original USB stick supplied with your receiver as (PEN1) and your second USB stick as (PEN2)

1) Turn OFF your QBox HD Mini and remove the original USB stick (PEN1) if already connected to the receiver.

2) Download your chosen Image file (not the Boot Image) from the forum and save it to your Windows PC. The image files will be in a .TBZ or .ZIP file for easy download.

3) Uncompress the .TBZ or .ZIP file using WinRar or WinZip. After uncompressing the file you will find a folder called “qboxhd_update” containing the firmware update files.

4) Insert the original (PEN1) USB stick into your PC USB port and format it (PEN1) as FAT32 with quick format option (this is the bit where you might want to use the HP format tool rather than Windows own format tool – We’ll leave that up to you to decide!).

5) Insert the second USB stick (PEN2) into your Windows PC and format it as FAT32 with quick format option (again you might prefer to use the HP format tool to do this).

6) Copy the “qboxhd_update” folder and its files onto the second USB stick (PEN2).

7) Insert (PEN1) which should now be blank and formatted in FAT32 and (PEN2) which should now contain “qboxhd_update” folder and its updating files into the QBox HD Mini USB ports. It doesn't matter which ports the two USB Sticks (PEN1 and PEN2) are inserted into, you can use any of them.

8) Turn ON the QBox HD Mini with both USB Sticks inserted and after around 15 seconds an image will appear on the screen with loading information and after around another 10 seconds the loading image will disappear and be replaced with “UPDATE IN PROGRESS “.

9) The QBox HD Mini will now go through the process of updating the firmware and transferring between one USB stick and the other as required. Do not power off the receiver until the update is finished which can take several minutes.

10) When the updated is finished the LCD display will tell you it’s complete and you can now turn off the QBox HD Mini and remove the second USB stick (PEN2) from the receiver, do not remove the original USB stick (PEN1) as this is what now contains your system files, without this being inserted your QBox HD Mini will fail to boot.

11) That’s it, you have now flashed your new firmware file! Turn on the QBox HD Mini (and ensure you are connected to your local network if required) and you should now find the receiver will fully boot and take you to your start screen (which can vary depending on the firmware you loaded).

REMEMBER IT CAN TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES TO BOOT UP FROM COLD AFTER A NEW FIRMWARE INSTALL, SO PLEASE ALLOW IT TIME TO DO SO RESISTING THE TEMPTATION TO KEEP PRESSING KEYS ON THE REMOTE CONTROL IF AT ALL POSSIBLE

Last edited:

doomdoom88

Registered
Your problem could be one of four possible causes.

1. The quality of USB Pen Drives used, Original Kingston Data Travellers are reliable.

2. The Format tool used, Windows is not ideal, HP Format Tool is best.

3. Filesystem downloaded could be corrupted.

4. A hardware fault (Ram) within your QboxMini, hopefully not.

Try this outlined below to load File system, if this method fails, then change both USB pen drives (at least Pen 1) and start over loading boot loader followed by file system.

Ideally, a brand new quality Pen Drive Formatted in Fat32 using HP Format tool, should be used as Pen 1.

How to flash Duolabs QBox HD Mini firmware using USB stick

Items required:

2 x USB Sticks - Formatted to FAT32 is the best option – Use HP Format Tool for formatting if you have any problems with the USB not being seen by the QBox HD Mini after formatting using Windows.

You will normally be provided with a single 2GB USB stick with your QBox HD Mini, you will also require a second USB stick of at least 1GB to perform a firmware update (1 USB stick holds the file system and stays permanently connected to the QBox HD Mini which the other is only used when performing firmware/software updates, it can then be disconnected.

QBox HD Mini Receiver – This guide is good for the Duolabs QBox HD Mini only

We’ll refer to the original USB stick supplied with your receiver as (PEN1) and your second USB stick as (PEN2)

1) Turn OFF your QBox HD Mini and remove the original USB stick (PEN1) if already connected to the receiver.

2) Download your chosen Image file (not the Boot Image) from the forum and save it to your Windows PC. The image files will be in a .TBZ or .ZIP file for easy download.

3) Uncompress the .TBZ or .ZIP file using WinRar or WinZip. After uncompressing the file you will find a folder called “qboxhd_update” containing the firmware update files.

4) Insert the original (PEN1) USB stick into your PC USB port and format it (PEN1) as FAT32 with quick format option (this is the bit where you might want to use the HP format tool rather than Windows own format tool – We’ll leave that up to you to decide!).

5) Insert the second USB stick (PEN2) into your Windows PC and format it as FAT32 with quick format option (again you might prefer to use the HP format tool to do this).

6) Copy the “qboxhd_update” folder and its files onto the second USB stick (PEN2).

7) Insert (PEN1) which should now be blank and formatted in FAT32 and (PEN2) which should now contain “qboxhd_update” folder and its updating files into the QBox HD Mini USB ports. It doesn't matter which ports the two USB Sticks (PEN1 and PEN2) are inserted into, you can use any of them.

8) Turn ON the QBox HD Mini with both USB Sticks inserted and after around 15 seconds an image will appear on the screen with loading information and after around another 10 seconds the loading image will disappear and be replaced with “UPDATE IN PROGRESS “.

9) The QBox HD Mini will now go through the process of updating the firmware and transferring between one USB stick and the other as required. Do not power off the receiver until the update is finished which can take several minutes.

10) When the updated is finished the LCD display will tell you it’s complete and you can now turn off the QBox HD Mini and remove the second USB stick (PEN2) from the receiver, do not remove the original USB stick (PEN1) as this is what now contains your system files, without this being inserted your QBox HD Mini will fail to boot.

11) That’s it, you have now flashed your new firmware file! Turn on the QBox HD Mini (and ensure you are connected to your local network if required) and you should now find the receiver will fully boot and take you to your start screen (which can vary depending on the firmware you loaded).

REMEMBER IT CAN TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES TO BOOT UP FROM COLD AFTER A NEW FIRMWARE INSTALL, SO PLEASE ALLOW IT TIME TO DO SO RESISTING THE TEMPTATION TO KEEP PRESSING KEYS ON THE REMOTE CONTROL IF AT ALL POSSIBLE

That's some really good advice, I am going to format both sticks with the HP tool and switch the USB sticks around to see if it works. Thanks for your help and I will keep you updated :)

doomdoom88

Registered
That’s it, you have now flashed your new firmware file! Turn on the QBox HD Mini (and ensure you are connected to your local network if required) and you should now find the receiver will fully boot and take you to your start screen (which can vary depending on the firmware you loaded).

Finally got the box working and I have changed the language and changed the time zone but when I try to search for channels it can't find any, do you know what settings I should have in the tuner config? Thanks

Lmkiu

In order that we can help you, you will need to provide us with as much information as possible initially.
You have not stated whether you tried to configure Tuner at Image install, or did you skip this?.
Also is your setup a single satellite position, multi or a motorised system.

In order to determine if Tuner is installed, carry out the following;

Menu / Information / Receiver Information / Receiver Configuration....
Should show, Enigma compilation date / Kernel type date / Tuner type / IP: address etc.

Then carry out the following procedure to setup Tuner to Sat position;

Menu / Installation Menu / Channel search / Tuner configuration / Tuner A / Configuration Mode = advanced / Satellite, select yours / OK.

It would be best to load up to date preconfigured settings for your setup.

doomdoom88

Registered
In order that we can help you, you will need to provide us with as much information as possible initially.
You have not stated whether you tried to configure Tuner at Image install, or did you skip this?.
Also is your setup a single satellite position, multi or a motorised system.

In order to determine if Tuner is installed, carry out the following;

Menu / Information / Receiver Information / Receiver Configuration....
Should show, Enigma compilation date / Kernel type date / Tuner type / IP: address etc.

Then carry out the following procedure to setup Tuner to Sat position;

Menu / Installation Menu / Channel search / Tuner configuration / Tuner A / Configuration Mode = advanced / Satellite, select yours / OK.

It would be best to load up to date preconfigured settings for your setup.

Thanks for the step by step guide, the settings have worked a treat and I can now view most of the free to view channels
I think I have made really good progress with your help and it looks like the box is pretty much all set up now and I think it is time to move onto the next step of sorting the proper channels out. I am going to have a look around online now to find out how to do it but if you do have any advice about it I would be very greatful.
Thanks

doomdoom88

Registered
I have had a look around online I think I should use oscam and I have manged to use FileZilla to connect to the box and have found the oscam folder but i'm not sure where to go from here?