ABCOM IPbox 9000 or HTPC

sivhead

Registered
I am about to make the step into HD. Ideally I would like a dvb-c and dvb-s2 card with HDMI and pvr functionility. I have never had a satellite setup before, just used a linux box on cable. I am undecided at the moment whether to build a HTPC with DVb-c and dvb-s2 card running either linux or vista with vplug and softcams or purchase a abcom ipbox /9000 dvb-c/dvb-s2. They would cost around the same and as far as I can work out, the HTPC would be better as it would allow bluray files to be played. Has anyone who has got an ipbox 9000 ever used a HTPC and could give some advice of where to go please.

what would you do if you were in my shoes.

maybe the IPbox9000 is not the best box to go for. can anyone please help
thanks siv::thum:

animal666

Registered
I've both.
HTPC is great but harder to set up, it does a lot more though, ie. Bluray, divx, anything you download.
Ive found the DVB software not great though visually, my missus couldnt/wouldnt easily use it.

IPbox9000 is a great box, easy for anyone to use, but thats all it is a PVR Satelite/Cable receiver.

Depends what you want the Device for and who's using it.

I love both, but since vista/XP MCE didnt support anything other than DVB-T, i gave up trying to set Sat/cable up on my PC.

Maybe other users have found some Better Sat/Cable software though?

If its for you & family IPBox9000.
If its for You and you like to mess HTPC.

But this is just my opinion.

sivhead

Registered
Thanks for that post its really helpfull. I think I will just purchase a dvb-c and dvb-s card. If I can get it working in my old pc then I will build myself a HTPC. If not I will go go for the IPbox.